Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy an 08 vq35hr and I want to put a better cai on it. What gives the most power increase?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Oh no,another CAI post...
Take your pick,they are all about the same except what comes out of your
wallet.Do not believe the power increases that are advertised.You could drop
in K&N's in the stock air box/boxes.THe results will be about the same.
Or if you must want some looks/sound and save money,add PopChargers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh no,another CAI post...
Take your pick,they are all about the same except what comes out of your
wallet.Do not believe the power increases that are advertised.You could drop
in K&N's in the stock air box/boxes.THe results will be about the same.
Or if you must want some looks/sound and save money,add PopChargers.
We gotta put this silly canned response to bed.

I know this post is old, but IMO this response and all others like it, are one of the worst pieces of advice floating around the net that you could provide to this common question about CAI on the HR. You should at least qualify your definition of “about the same”. I’ve spent a lot of time putting this claim that stock airboxes on the HR with drop-ins are “pretty much the same” to the test, and I’m sorry to break the news but it is extremely difficult to extract the same amount of power from those stockies compared to CAI’s. This is after doing pull after pull on the dyno while tuning AND roll races with HR’s that have CAI’s. It’s not even close. We’re talking a difference of about ~20-25hp and ~10ft/lb. To me, that’s a lot. When you’re roll racing an HR with the same mods except CAI and he puts 2 car lengths on you almost immediately, I just don’t consider that “about the same”. Watch the Z1 vids, or ****, try it yourself - no way you’re pulling the kind of power the CAI’s will.. The numbers speak for themselves. If I had to do my mods over again, I would actually START with CAI’s (yes, before test pipes) like OP is doing, instead of reading advice like this on the net from people who haven’t done it themselves. End rant lol!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Perhaps you should publish some of specific results of CAI testing and use the stock HR airboxes as the baseline. This is assuming you ran them on the same dyno, day and time to eliminate atmospheric variances. It's also important to differentiate just bolting on a CAI and expecting results vs. retuning with a Nissan-specific program like UpRev's Osiris. Dyno time is not cheap, but a retune is just as important for getting results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts