Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i recently just bought a 2003 350z coupe. As you all know, the stereo is weak. Ive been looking at all the suggestions for new stereo systems and want something that is really good sound quality, doesnt rattle and looks real nice. As far as i can see, one big choice is...

a custom box from ZEnclosures with two Alpine 10" subs (type-x)

Will anything look better and which will give better sound quality?

Rich

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used a Zenclosure for 2 8" subs. I personally don't like the Alpine subs. I'm more partial to Image Dynamics, JL, Boston Acoustic, OZ, etc. You'll be suprised how well the Zenclosure fits in the Z. No screws to mount it, just slide it in the spot and it stays. Even under hard acceleration.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I'm not really a fan of the Alpine subs either, I really like the Infinity Kappa Perfects... but as for an enclosure the JL Stealthbox is a pretty popular choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, i recently just bought a 2003 350z coupe. As you all know, the stereo is weak. Ive been looking at all the suggestions for new stereo systems and want something that is really good sound quality, doesnt rattle and looks real nice. As far as i can see, one big choice is...

Rich
I use JL 1000/1, 450/4, XR6.5, 13W7, Alpine HU, Red & Yellow top, all JL connections and wires. Works for me. Makes the stearing wheel look like it is going to shake off at times.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts

Rich
are you looking for subwoofer suggestions? or overall system ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been out of the car audio for awhile now. More into hometheater but Ive always had Great luck with JL audio, and Eclipse.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would go with Rockford Fosgate,alpine, MTX or JL. IF you really want some bass id go with the models like the T2,type x,Jackhammer, W7

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Thats sort of an open ended question, but type X's would certainly look good in a Zenclosure. As far as SQ, Type-X's got it covered but its probably going to rattle a lot. I like the way the JL Stealthbox looks as well, although it wouldn't be near as loud. If you are interested in a Zenclosures, I have the deep mount and amp rack version for 2 10s that I replaced with 1 12" if you want it

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the Bose system (if you have it)? My system sounds fine and I've grown up with sound systems from the days of 8-Track and beyond. A lot of posts talk about the sound being weak but I have no problem giving myself a headache if I'm not careful.

Sound is subjective of course. Some equate power with how much they can literally "feel" the vibrations instead of hearing them. I'm a big fan of hearing the music and nothing else. In a car that's pretty hard to do, which is why I always thought it was funny when someone raved about how clean the music is on a CD. The road noise can't be eliminated, so it kind of negates that fact.

Anyway, enclosing your speakers in air-tight boxes stuffed with insulation is a good way to improve the sound production. I made some for my old Subaru years ago. The first time I heard the difference I could not believe they were the same speakers. I hardly had to use any volume adjustment at all and this was a 100 Watt system with 6 speakers.

scrapser

1 - 11 of 11 Posts