Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i was purchasing my Z from the dealer ship... I was talking to one of the junior salesman...who allegedly previously owned a 350z. His current car is the updated S2K. He apparently regularly attends Calder parks practice sessions, and has done so flat out in both cars. He reckon all day every day he is quicker around the track than he was in the 350.

He then went on to say look its a great car but after 5 Laps engine gets hot gearbox gets hot and the hole package get tired and sloppy.

He reckons somewhat due to the lack of opening for the air to pass through...

Am i the only one that feels offended by this? Beatin by a 2 litre 4 Banger?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, first of all, the S2000 is a GREAT car. As for faster, I wouldn't think so, considering tha tDavidM has had both at the track and has had MUCH better results in teh Z. HOWEVER, pro times are evenly matched. As for 2L 4 banger... I used to run circles around 5.7L HSVs at Phillip Island in a 1.8L 4banger (unmodified Integra Type R), it';s not the engine that makes the difference, it's the handling. As for Calder, I think the S2000 WOULD be faster because it's considerably lighter than the Z and would brake much easier and later into the corners... at hte same time, for someone to say that one car is faster than the other based on CALDER (in my opinion a 110% **** track) is very dumb. Match them up at Winton, Phillip Island and Sandown and then I'll believe the results.

:)

PS. It's also silly to take offence to such a statement!

·
Registered
293 Posts
he doesnt have male genitals

also remind him the updated Aus spec S2000 has the same engine as the old one
The updated S2k has had suspension changes, which (from all accounts) has improved handling even further.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But do you know I've seen a video From BEST MOTORING where the lined up a 350 M3 S2K and Boxter and the s2k if it wasn't for the intervention of the R34 GTR blocking so bad i think it might have taken the Z Even though the fairy tale ends with the Z holding off all cars to finish 1st place with boxter finishing last. Hmm dunno but yet suppose it is a very agile car

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not too suprised neither, the S2k is a great car.. just lacks torque, i reckon the 350 would be faster on estern creek with the longer straights.

I saw the best motoring race too, I agree that if it wasnt for the camera, the s2k would have taken the race~ But that's just my 2c

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
It's all about the track, as been stated above. In a parking lot autocross, I'd take the S2K. On the Nurburgring, I'd take the Z.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
there is a vidoe that the Z beats both the M3, as well the s2000
but the S2000 is a grat car, definately a track car. yet again in depends a lot on the driver.

the race ended as follows.

1. Z
2. M3
3. S2000
4. Boxter

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Driven both. Perfer Z. S2K is a Civic till 4500 rpm when the vtec opens up.

I don't track my car, so I don't care about that. Just gimme the torque.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Aside from the tyres going greasy from overheating and a rare case of brake fade (I have the Touring model as well, and I've only ever had 2 instances of brake fade in my dozen trips to the track with the OEM braking setup) My Z has never had "going sloppy" problems. The gearbox has always been fine, and the handling and power delivery stays the same.

I've driven on Oran Park, Eastern Creek and Wakefield Park..which are all very different tracks. No issues aside from the weight.

Having never driven an S2K I don't know if its clearly faster, but given how light the car is and how much power it does make if you keep the revs up its pace wouldn't surprise me. Honda also builds good sports cars, so its pedigree is not questioned.

I don't see the S2000 and the 350Z as being competitors. One of them is a racey convertible, the other one is more of a GT. A GT isn't an all-out track weapon, and a sports racer isn't something you can drive for 800km down the highway without making regular breaks. Their only similarity is price, but if that's your only criteria then a Holden Caprice is also a competitor.

As for salespeople, junior or otherwise, I make it a point not to listen to them about any subject that requires skill. It might be my interest in computers and cars that gives me nothing but the utmost contempt for the technical opinions of someone who earns a commission, but most of the salespeople I've ever talked with have been clueless about what their product or service actually does.

I remember when my mate went to go test drive a Clio, and the salesman mentioned that he'd driven my mate's current ride (an S15) and found the handling so touchy that he "hit the brakes going down his street and spun out". I'm sorry, but if you spin a car that's dead stock and in decent condition.....its not the car that's the cause.

I pretty much proved that "mind over matter" is possible by not rolling my eyes when he said that.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
As Iggy mentioned - I owned S2000 for about 3 years and it has seen every local (ie. VIC) track at least 4x. My laptimes in the S2000 were not too shabby as I still hold some of the quicker lap-times for the S2000 so it's not like I was not trying to go fast.

I have now had the Zed for almost 2 years and on my 1st outing with it to Winton I have beaten the S2000 record (and I mean for anyone not just me) by 1second. I am now 2sec quicker per lap than an S2000 has managed there.

At my 1st outing at Sandown I was almost 1.5sec quicker than the quickest S2000 there ever (which just happens to be me). Now I'm more like 2sec per lap quicker.

The S2000 is a great car and I loved it very much, but from my experience it can't keep up with the Zed (Track model at least). I have R-spec tyres on my Zed, but a lot of the S2000s that I'm refering to also have the same tyres. The main difference between the two cars is power and the speed that the Zed can muster on the straights. At Winton I'm reaching good 10kph more than in the S2000, and at Sandown more like extra 15kph in terms of top speed. Mind you I have a hi-tech exhaust and K&N filter, but that will account for only a fraction of that difference.

IMHO, the difference is the grunt/power that the Zed has out of corners. That's where the S2000 losses out.

Last fo all, if you look at the times achieved by Pro-drivers that have driven both the Zed and S2000 then the Zed will still be quicker. They always compare the Track model, so I can't say how the Touring would go, but here are some laptimes for you by pros:

Winton (Cameron McConville):
- 350Z = 1:43.18
- S2000 = 1:44.09

Nurburgring (Horst Von Surma):
- 350Z = 8:26
- S2000 = 8:39

Hokenheim (Klaus):
- 350Z = 1:18.8
- S2000 = 1:18.9

ps.
What lap-time did the 'salesman' manage at Calder? I'll be surprised to hear if he managed to get bellow 1:12, as (to my knowledge) the S2000 record there is still at 1:11.38 and that was a very good driver on R-spec tyres. Most people in S2000s are happy with 1:13s. I have not had the Zed there, but I should be able to get into 1:08s there ... though, that's just my estimate based on experience.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Case closed.

Dont believe everything anyone says.
+1 I know a guy whose car was never faster than when it was in the shop on jackstands. I say :nana: to s2k boy.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
As for Calder, I think the S2000 WOULD be faster because it's considerably lighter than the Z and would brake much easier and later into the corners.

I'd lean the other way as I'd say that Calder is a power track. Its all baout how quickly you can get down the straight. Not only that, but conrneing advantage is not really demonstrated at Calder as they are mostly very tight corners. So power down and speed on the straight is what is needed there and neither is S2000s forte.

S2000 should be able to brake a bit later as it's a lighter car, but it's not like the Zed does not brake well already.

One would think that Winton would be very suited to the S2000 as the straights are short and there are a lot of corners. Also PI should be suited to the S2000 as you can carry a lot of corner speed there.

Then again on a subject of corner speed, I would not say that the S2000's corner speed is any greater than the Zeds. Where the S2000 has major advantages lie are at the front-end grip, and lighter weight (ie. more nimble).

S2K is a Civic till 4500 rpm when the vtec opens up

That's a bit of an exaduration. The S2000's power is above 6000rpm, but bellow that it is not much slower than a WRX (at the same revs). It's no 350Z at those revs, but you can't compare it to Civic either.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

That's a bit of an exaduration. The S2000's power is above 6000rpm, but bellow that it is not much slower than a WRX (at the same revs). It's no 350Z at those revs, but you can't compare it to Civic either.

I've driven the car. It ain't all that & a bag a crisps. Maybe it does drive like a stock rex...I've never driven one a doze. wit the S2K, you have to'drive it like ya stole it', or it's performance is miata-like. :lmfao:

:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts