Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed my headers I noticed that the battery terminals had no dielectric grease on them.(disconected ground wire)

I just remembered right now that when i was done with the install and started the car up it ran smoother because of the grease.

anybody else notice this????

you can get a pack at autozone for like 99cents and it seems like a good idea to stop corrosion later on down the road.

I don't think many have replaced there batteries yet and would not be surprised if everyones battery terminals and posts are dry.

·
Registered
798 Posts
wow havent even checked my battery yet. but I will check for it

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Dielectric grease that is used to protect electrical components from condensation and corrosion. It is most used to protect CPU pins from corrosion by condensation by spreading the grease on the socket pins prior to installation. At least one of the brands is a non curing silicone compound and can be utilized for sealing, protecting and inspecting electrical components and connectors .. including battery terminals. Permatex supplies it under "DIELECTRIC TUNE-UP GREASE".

Think I will pick up some myself this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was noticable. I dont think headers would make it run smoother.
I mean the idle is smoother.
besides i didn't like the fact that there was nothing on there to prevent corrosion from the factory.
and it's only a buck.
I am not sure if everyones car came like this.
I have an 05.
I'm curious on what everyone else thinks.

Check this out........................
On my 01 acura integra i had replaced the platinum plugs and I thought it ran pretty smooth. I then took the plug wires out and put some of the dielectric(lets call it conductive grease shall we) and applied it to both ends of the spark plug wires. so now i have good contact between the plugs and plug wires as well as the cap and plug wires. at the same time i did the posts of the battery.

I started the car and was amazed at how quiet it was at idle. I mean you could hear a slight valve lash at idle but after i did this grease thing you coldnt hear the valve lash anymore.

My sister has a 93 integra that she refuses to part with and i did the same thing and got the same results.

I'm thinking about doing this to the coil packs on the Z to make a better connection between the coil and the plug. I am hesitant to do this right now because the car is running great right now, but 100000 miles before tune up and plug replacement is a long time in between.

I'll get around to it pretty soon though.

This might be the rough idle problem for "some" of the Z's out there and I may be wrong but an alternative to a grounding kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts