Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z is scheduled to go back to Charlotte early in January.

Since the last tuning she's been hitting the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Not so bad in manual mode (5AT Z) but in full auto every time.

The Kinetix SSV is going on so she'll be retuned anyway, and I was going to have the TS L-spec reflash done to raise the rev limit to 7100.

The UTEC is pre-programmed to 7500....correct? Would this be a more sensible option even consideing the price difference?

My Z is a street car...no racing, no track. I really just want to be do the best thing at this stage to eliminate as many future trips to the shop as possible.

Should I

Have her tuned to a lower HP that will still work with the other mods I have...return fuel, higher flowing FP and new FPR, and try to work around the rev limit that way? Still have the 440cc injectors on her. Built motor.

Send the ECU out for the L-spec reflash? Tune at just under 400 as I am now.

Install UTEC and tune at just under 400?

Any other suggestions? I don't have access to an F-Con VPro dealer, nor do I have any room for the displays. Does the E-manage Ultimate have the capability to raise the rev limit?

I am also trying to stay away from the valve body upgrade if possible...I don't really punish this car...bit when I need WOT...I want WOT.

Thanks ~Kenny

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Kenny i would say get the UTEC and yes it raises the rev limter to 7500, but its whatever you want to raise it to.

i think the reflash will not be a big seller. why would someone keep sending in their ECU when they can have a plug and play system such as the UTEC.

i think with the UTEC you have so much more potential with.

The FCON is bad ass but pricey as **** and if you cant find a FCON dealer, screw it!

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
sorry to go OT.. but wouldn't 7500rpm be considered dangerous on the stock valvetrain?

If the choice is UTEC vs. Std. ECU Flash. I'd say UTEC.

The L spec Flash is still $345 right? Ug... with the UTEC out now, I wouldn't even bother with anything less. Perhaps the Emanage Ultimate? :dunno: IMO, you might as well skip the L spec and go for some tuning.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey Shep, the eManage Ultimate cannot current raise the rev limit. The UTEC can. As mentioned in my email to you, the higher 7100rpm (max) rev limit helps shifting, but doesnt completely eliminate the problem in 1st or 2nd gear in full auto. We did Ron's car with same power levels, and even with a 7100rpm limit, it still stuck to the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd on hard downshifts.

Hope that helps. Just keep in mind, that even the UTEC with increased rev limit isnt going to eliminate the shifting issue.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Shep, the eManage Ultimate cannot current raise the rev limit. The UTEC can. As mentioned in my email to you, the higher 7100rpm (max) rev limit helps shifting, but doesnt completely eliminate the problem in 1st or 2nd gear in full auto. We did Ron's car with same power levels, and even with a 7100rpm limit, it still stuck to the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd on hard downshifts.

Hope that helps. Just keep in mind, that even the UTEC with increased rev limit isnt going to eliminate the shifting issue.
Thanks Sharif.

I may just keep this trip to the shop simple. If I upgrade to the SGP valve body, to go along with an increased rev limit via TS reflash or UTEC, SGP recommends a torque converter and transmission fluid cooler upgrade, which is pricey and requires more downtime than I'm prepared for right now. I prefer to keep the ECU as is (stock) anyway.

The gang at CP is well versed in tuning with the E-manage so we'll see how that shakes out.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OT:
You will want to change your stock valvetrain and at least upgrade your conrod bolts (or rods) before you raise the rev limiter to 7500rpm... Why? because as what illz33 said, your stock valvetrain is not strong enough! Not even with nismo/JWT strengthen valve springs... the best they could hold up to is 7400rpm, more than that you will definitely have valve float (because I clicked my exhaust valve at 7600rpm with nismo valve springs)... So change your valvetrain and upgrade your internals if you want to go that high, it will be a lot better and safer! :)

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
120 Posts
OT:
You will want to change your stock valvetrain and at least upgrade your conrod bolts (or rods) before you raise the rev limiter to 7500rpm... Why? because as what illz33 said, your stock valvetrain is not strong enough! Not even with nismo/JWT strengthen valve springs... the best they could hold up to is 7400rpm, more than that you will definitely have valve float (because I clicked my exhaust valve at 7600rpm with nismo valve springs)... So change your valvetrain and upgrade your internals if you want to go that high, it will be a lot better and safer! :)

cheers,

richie
His motor is already fully built. :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
thanks for that Sharif... thought he hasn't done any valve works...

cheers,

richie

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some discussion with Sharif, and others, we'll be tuning with the UTEC. More to follow. :)

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
His motor is already fully built. :)

Kenny,

I didn't see any valve work. Have you upgraded?

Engine

* GReddy TT with FMIC
* Type S BOV
* AAM return fuel System
* Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
* CJ-Motorsports Fuel System siphon fix
* Arias Forged pistons 8:5:1
* Carillo A-beam Forged connecting Rods
* Crawford Cast Plenum
* Samco Hose Kit
* Nismo Oil Filler
* Nismo Thermostat
* Nismo Radiator Cap
* 3.0kg Fuel Pressure Sensor
* CJ-Motorsports shielded Crank Angle Sensor Wire

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kenny,

I didn't see any valve work. Have you upgraded?

Engine

* GReddy TT with FMIC
* Type S BOV
* AAM return fuel System
* Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
* CJ-Motorsports Fuel System siphon fix
* Arias Forged pistons 8:5:1
* Carillo A-beam Forged connecting Rods
* Crawford Cast Plenum
* Samco Hose Kit
* Nismo Oil Filler
* Nismo Thermostat
* Nismo Radiator Cap
* 3.0kg Fuel Pressure Sensor
* CJ-Motorsports shielded Crank Angle Sensor Wire
No Chris...I just got off the phone with the mechanic who built the motor. We didn't do any head work.

How much of a PITA is this going to be?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drove 6 hours with a friend to get his car looked at and we saw your car come in on a trailer. Just wanted to say that it looks great and good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I drove 6 hours with a friend to get his car looked at and we saw your car come in on a trailer. Just wanted to say that it looks great and good luck with it.
Thanks very much for the compliment. :cheers: It was a PITA getting her in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts