Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just finished removing my B&M Short Shifter and replacing it with the Rogue. I have used the B&M unit for about 8K miles, and now that I opened it up and saw what was going on underneath, I must say THE B&M UNIT IS A PIECE OF ****!!!

I have experienced grinding with the B&M unit starting with 2nd gear and reducing in sound level from there on out. The Rogue solved this.

Upon opening the setup and looking at the blue brace / guideplate that comes with the B&M unit, I realized that two of the three screws had come loose and so the entire plate was hanging on by only one bolt (all B&M materials).

While the B&M unit shortens throws by 33%, the Rogue unit accomplishes a 20% throw reduction from stock. This difference is non discernable except the 5th and 6th is slightly farther to the right, and reverse is now back in the "as stock" location.

I am happy to report that the grinding has completely dissappeared, and the throws are smooth, precise, and almost equally short.

One thing that I do miss about the B&M unit is the shifting force required. The B&M unit was very stiff and required "muscle" to shift it into gear. IMO, this made the car feel a bit racier and tighter (shifting wise). The Rogue unit is a lot easier to move into gear, and does not transmit as much vibration or noise as the brute B&M unit.

I originally wanted the Rogue piece, but decided to go with B&M, even after hearing all of the complaints from others, due to almost a $100 difference and shorter throw capability. Trust me when I say to not trade off on saving a few bucks for miles of the problems described above, and just go with the Rogue unit. You will not regret it!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my B&M installed for about 10k with absolutley no problems. The initial vibration was the only thing that ever upset me about it, and that disipated significantly after 2-3k. It seems odd that you would chastize the manufacturer for the bolts coming loose, which is more than likely an installation fault as opposed to design.

The only thing i did contrary to the installation instructions was the addition of some loctite blue on the 3 bolts in question, which i actually added after noticing the high level of vibration in the shifter assembly post-install.

Also, why did you wait untill you'd ordered and recieved a new shifter to remove the boot and take a first-hand look?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts