Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the all new B&M short shifter on the way. Upon arrival we will have a full installion How-To, full product review with specs, and plenty of pictures.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Awesome Josh. I was thinking about this as one of my next mods. Its fairly inexpensive too. Cant wait to hear your opinion on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, I too am looking into this mod. I'm just not quite sure about the installation. I recall someone saying that it's a real pain if you don't have a press. I'm looking forward to hearing your review.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The stock 6MT shifter is pretty darn short already. I love modding my Z. But I'm not sure this one adds much. I will await a review from someone who installs the short-shift kit before making a decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Originally posted by Bogart@May 28 2004, 10:38 PM
Yes, I too am looking into this mod.  I'm just not quite sure about the installation.  I recall someone saying that it's a real pain if you don't have a press.  I'm looking forward to hearing your review.

what were you told you need a press for?ive had the shifter in my car for almost 3 months now....the hardest part of the install is getting the rubber dust boot under the car back on (that took me all of 5 minutes).took me 30 minutes to do the whole install
i promise no press is needed
it is as simple as unbolting one and bolting the other

as for its fuction.....it is about half an inch shorter...but thats not why its called a short throw shifter....
it make the throw from gear to gear anmost half of what it is from the manufacture

·
Registered
428 Posts
Originally posted by tonylittell+May 29 2004, 05:22 AM-->QUOTE (tonylittell @ May 29 2004, 05:22 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Bogart
@May 28 2004, 10:38 PM
Yes, I too am looking into this mod.  I'm just not quite sure about the installation.  I recall someone saying that it's a real pain if you don't have a press.  I'm looking forward to hearing your review.

what were you told you need a press for?ive had the shifter in my car for almost 3 months now....the hardest part of the install is getting the rubber dust boot under the car back on (that took me all of 5 minutes).took me 30 minutes to do the whole install
i promise no press is needed
it is as simple as unbolting one and bolting the other

as for its fuction.....it is about half an inch shorter...but thats not why its called a short throw shifter....
it make the throw from gear to gear anmost half of what it is from the manufacture

and by the way i love it!best 200 dollars ive spent to date

·
Registered
230 Posts
I may have been mistaken on the press. I remember reading something earlier in the year but of course that was quite some time ago. It was probably something that had nothing to do with the short shifter. My mistake!

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
I ordered my short shifter from Jon, and I think it will be here next week. My question or concern is which shift boot are you going to use? I assume the stock will not work but I may be wrong. I'm not planning on installing it til next weekend so I have some time to get some input on this so I can decide what to get. I'm thinking what ever I decide will probably have to have something in blue since that's pretty much my theme for colors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys wanted to get a short throw shifter for my Z, dont know much about them, jus wondering if theres actually a difference between B&M and say a less popular brand or basically is a short throw shifter a short throw shifter, well any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you will find that B&M is one of the less popular brands on the Z. There have been numerous complaints about it.

The 350evo is suppsed to be one of the best, but im not sure if they are still making it.

Nismo recently released their version, and typical of them, it is very expensive.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've got a B&M short shifter. I hate it. I like the short shifting part, but the B&M one is of crap design. You should not have to file away at bits of your car to fit a short shifter.

Get a C's. Or a 350Evo. Or the Nismo. Or the Rogue Engineering. Or the other adjustable one that's not from Nissan. Any one but the B&M.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts