Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good will a stock Z be with the touring package and stock 18"wheels and tires?

I'll be looking to do some DEs and autocrosses. Mostly looking to just have some fun but I wouldn't mind beating my Audi and BMW friends in autocross every once in a while.

I know autocross mostly comes down to driver but how is the stock Z setup?

How much better/stiffer is the track models suspension?

For the DEs, I'll mainly be running 25 minute sessions so hopefully brake fade won't be a problem. I'll look to upgrade brake fluid and pads to get something more worthy...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but please define DE for me. :thumbsup:

As for tracking, a stock Z is great. It's well balanced and has a good suspension for what you want to do. I just bought stainless steel brake lines, plus I'm going to upgrade the pads and fluids. Should be fun. The first autox here is in April. I'm signing up to beat all the Audi's and BMW's and RX8's. :50cal:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Feb 9 2005, 04:19 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but please define DE for me. :thumbsup:

DE = Drivers Education. Track events with instructors, not a race.

A stock Z does well in Auto-X and DE events. The #1 upgrade you should consider is getting sticky tires. I found the stock suspension to be a bit soft but acceptable. You should not have any brake fade problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[/quote]

Living in the north sucks. If we were in So Cal we could probably be autoxing now...well, maybe not now but this weekend anyway...

Funny you mention the RX8. That was the car that I was going to buy but my wife wouldn't let me even though it was 6-8K cheaper...

I'm currently in the local BMW club and Audi club and also a Euro car fanatic club.
It will be a fun season competing with those guys in the Z. I'm a novice though but I think I've improved quite a bit during my first 4 events.

I'm planning on doing a DE at Road America, one of the best grand prix tracks in the US IMHO. I've driven it once during some touring sessions between races.

It's a blast watching a race on TV that's at a track that you've driven before. They run Champcar, Speed World Challenge, American Le Mans and other nationallly televised events at Road America.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a Z, but i know the RX-8 and the AUdi TT would eat up the Z at local autox. Most courses are too small for the Z to use its tires and power, the car is simply not nimble enough. At the track events, different story....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if the RX8 would eat up the Z. It would have to be a pretty tight course. People on the RX8 club have a lot of respect for the autocross abilities of the Z. I think it would come down to driver skills and course layout like you said. The surface might also factor in as the RX8 would be less likely to become unsettled by irregularities in the pavement (cracks, seems, crumbling asphalt, etc.).

skid pad numbers and slaloms times are close so I'd suspect that they are both quite competent. RX8 might be more fun though due to the lighter weight and neutral handling.

I've never seen an RX8 autocross and only competed against one Z but it was his first autox so I was able to barely beat him (.001 seconds) with my wife's BMW 325 convertible (which is a 3700 lb pig with all-season tires and no sports package). it was only my third autox though. pretty wide open course at the tirerack test track in southbend.

I imagine it would be tough to fit an extra set of wheels and tires in the Z if you wanted to run on R-comps though :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]

Living in the north sucks. If we were in So Cal we could probably be autoxing now...well, maybe not now but this weekend anyway...

Funny you mention the RX8. That was the car that I was going to buy but my wife wouldn't let me even though it was 6-8K cheaper...

I'm currently in the local BMW club and Audi club and also a Euro car fanatic club.
It will be a fun season competing with those guys in the Z. I'm a novice though but I think I've improved quite a bit during my first 4 events.

I'm planning on doing a DE at Road America, one of the best grand prix tracks in the US IMHO. I've driven it once during some touring sessions between races.

It's a blast watching a race on TV that's at a track that you've driven before. They run Champcar, Speed World Challenge, American Le Mans and other nationallly televised events at Road America.
<div align="right">[snapback]71670[/snapback]
[/quote]
Mmmm....Road America. I watch Speed TV for any signs of these types of races.

Good thing your wife talked you out of the Mazda. Sounds like she's a keeper.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yeh i wouldn't talk down on an RX8, friend of mine has one... the handles F'n insanely well... it'd give my Rabbit a real good run might even take it on an autoX :shiftdrive: but prolly not if i redo the suspension on my rabbit again... i noticed someone say they like euro cars so i thought i'd share...

full 2.0 ABA swap with an ATP turbo kit, quaife in the 2.0 trans. bonrath MK2 style bumpers imported from europe and cut for the front mount... she has a rather extensive amount fo work done...

<a href='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Dave88AE/August%2029th%20meet/Pict0166.jpg' target='_new'></a>

<a href='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Shavedrabbit/cars/DSCN2046.jpg' target='_new'></a>

that's my toy... may sell it when i pick up the Z though cause insurance on it for what the car is worth is a killer :banghead:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/quote]

I hope so, after 8 years of marriage it's kind of tough to throw her back now.

She actaully depises Mazda. She's from Japan and maybe they don't get any respect over there probably due to their Ford connection.

She loves the Fairlady Z though, which is a very desirable car back in Japan and she also likes the fact that Nissan means "made in Japan".

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]

She actaully depises Mazda. She's from Japan and maybe they don't get any respect over there probably due to their Ford connection.

She loves the Fairlady Z though, which is a very desirable car back in Japan and she also likes the fact that Nissan means "made in Japan".
<div align="right">[snapback]71920[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ah, the things we learn on this site. Thanks for the info trivia. :yourock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/quote]

[/quote]
Ah, the things we learn on this site. Thanks for the info trivia. :yourock:
<div align="right">[snapback]71971[/snapback]
[/quote]

I read one article that said that the name Nissan came from shortening Nihon Sangyo, the original name of the company in 1934, but my wife doubts the accuracy of the article because you wouldn't shorten the name in that way. Apparently the Kanji for Nissan is pretty clear that says Japan Produced or something like that. Actually Nihon=Japan and Sangyo=Produced so I guess it is kinda right either way.

My screename, Machan is a shortened way to say "Dear Matt" in Japanese.

Here's some info including the origin of the Datsun name.
http://www.fact-index.com/n/ni/nissan.html

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nissan's quality and service suck even more than Mazda, this will be my last and only Nissan. I love my car, but I hate freaking Nissan.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you want to learn more about the history of the Z, straight from Mr. K himself, read this thread Mr. K thread for the new year and go and get this book "Mr. K--Father of the Z Car"

Mr. K book

I myself will be taking my touring on the track (DE as you call it) this coming spring (yeah the north does suck in that regard lol, pittsburgh here) and I can't wait. I have a few performance mods, intake, exhaust, racing wheels, brake pad upgrade, and I will probably be looking into rotors and stainless brake lines as well. All I know is that I am going to love :shiftdrive: around that course!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I am so looking forward to this spring when I can play on the track. Muahahahaha...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts