Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking and cant decide between auto and manual. What are the non obvious pro's and con's? THX

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
depends upon what you want! I got the 5AT b/c quite frankly, I had just moved to Pittsburgh and the hills absolutely scared the bejeesus out of me....I have owned 5 speeds before and loved them, but being my first brand new car, and having learned to drive manuals on relatively flat roads (VA and SoCal) I was scared to death to even test drive a 6 speed. Didn't want to be rolling down a hill backwards into someone---esp in a brand new car! :ahhh:

Some ppl get the 5AT just b/c they have done their time w/ manuals and like the convienience of an automatic! Some ppl get 5AT b/c they can't drive stick. Some ppl will tell you it's not a sports car unless it's manual (I obviously don't agree w/ this) and will argue till they are blue in the face that manuals are better, but that is JUST an opinion. I love my Z!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
well , i driven both.

i think the AT is very comfortable and responsive, i actually liked it, especially on tip tronic

i have MT, it can get frustrating in traffic

but both are awesome, and it all depends on ur needs and preferences

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Flip a coin, it's that easy. If you've driven both types, then all you really need to think about is how you will be driving the Z. Is it for commuting, for fun, to share, etc?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Flip a coin, it's that easy. If you've driven both types, then all you really need to think about is how you will be driving the Z. Is it for commuting, for fun, to share, etc?

Exactly.. If your area is all about traffic and you'll be driving all the time in it.. You may prefer an auto.

If you are into auto x , you may find the gears to be favorable to a MT.

Either way, you'll be happy.

The MT have a 3.5 final drive, they are 6 speed.
The AT have a 3.2 final drive, they are 5 speed. (Thanks JINXXXXXXXY)

·
Registered
450 Posts
The A/T is more comfortable, ie. cell phone, city traffic, etc. You still have the shift option which works great and adds to the driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Exactly.. If your area is all about traffic and you'll be driving all the time in it.. You may prefer an auto.

If you are into auto x , you may find the gears to be favorable to a MT.

Either way, you'll be happy.

The MT have a 3.5 final drive, they are 6 speed.
The AT have a 3.2 final drive, they are 4 speed. (i think)
5AT= 5 speeds :wink: :rolf2:

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I have honestly never driven the 5AT, but I love my MT. I guess the reason I got it was because I felt I had more control of the car with it. I also feel I have more fun and am more involved in the driving. However like mentioned above, if you drive in a lot of traffic I would seriously consider the 5AT.

·
Registered
79 Posts
An auto is great if you use the Z to buy groceries or pick up the kids from soccer practice.

But if you really wanna DRIVE your car the way it was meant to then you must get the manual.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've never heard any of the AT owners complaining about rattling from the fly, etc. I don't know if that means they don't have the issue, but I've read a few MT people complaining about parts that seem to be only on the MT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please :)

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
An auto is great if you use the Z to buy groceries or pick up the kids from soccer practice.

But if you really wanna DRIVE your car the way it was meant to then you must get the manual.
I beg to differ! Ever been to the track? I have. And my 5AT rocks out! I love not having to mess w/ shifting (I didn't even use the tiptronic) while learning to drive on the track. :wink: And btw you can't pick "kids" up from soccer practice in the Z, esp if they are under the weight limit....air bags + only one kid fit there in that one seat :wink:

Do any of you AutoX with an auto?

Thanks for all the response!!
Never Auto X, but I plan to, right now I am going to concentrate on learning how to drive the road course....but Chris (illZ33) will teach me one day on the Auto X too! I have read that it's fine to leave the AT in 2nd on the auto x courses, but I would assume it depends on the course set up, chris can add comments on this.....

I've never heard any of the AT owners complaining about rattling from the fly, etc. I don't know if that means they don't have the issue, but I've read a few MT people complaining about parts that seem to be only on the MT. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please :)
HM you are correct! :clap: :yourock:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Jinxxxxxxy speaks the truth! Although I'd have to take her word on leaving it in second.

Choose your own adventure. Green is longer, red is short and to the point.

A. There have been rainy days when I haven't gone out of 1st for most of the course. Couldn't... too tight and hydro. I'm talking nasty, not just a little wet. Hardcore raining buckets auto x, where people just go home it's so bad. :) But your friendly neighborhood illz33 stays and sweeps the competition off the track like a broom sweeping water! HA! Regardless of weather. Big reason why 3.9 for track work is better. (Unless you need to go 180+mph) :wink:

B. It depends on the course. :biggrin:

·
Registered
798 Posts
so ill.... when u coming to fl to give driving lessons?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts