Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 350z track about a month ago. I've wanted to change the stereo since, it sounds terrible. I'm just not sure where to start. I'm not sure what type of equipment is on the market, what's considered the best, what is and isn't compatible with my Z, what is and isn't compatible with my navigation system...etc. In other words I don't know anything about car audio.

I'm looking to get a setup with an in dash dvd player, new speakers, and I def. want something to add some bass... I need some recommendations on what to look for/what to get.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a topic near and dear to my heart (and my wallet). There is a lot of good information about our sound system in this forum. Almost too much info! I've spent DAYS reading all of the posts.

Try to set your parameters first. Are you looking for a small upgrade, just to improve the basic sound? Or maybe something more substantial: new head unit, new component speakers and a better subwoofer? Or are you going all-out, where $$$ is no object?

I'm trying to just replace the speakers, add a couple of amps and get a subwoofer in a fiberglass enclosure...and I've set a $1000 limit.

It's tough! It would be easy for $2000. But I want to spend $1000. I've got the Roadster, so wind noise pretty much negates any need for true audiophile sonic purity. I just need something that kicks ass compared to the stock Bose system, which kicks nothing.

Keep us posted! And read Toykilla's posts! Most of all, have fun...

Originally posted by mattgaide@Sep 12 2005, 09:26 AM
I bought a 350z track about a month ago.  I've wanted to change the stereo since, it sounds terrible.  I'm just not sure where to start.  I'm not sure what type of equipment is on the market, what's considered the best, what is and isn't compatible with my Z, what is and isn't compatible with my navigation system...etc.  In other words I don't know anything about car audio.

I'm looking to get a setup with an in dash dvd player, new speakers, and I def. want something to add some bass...  I need some recommendations on what to look for/what to get.

Thanks!

Matt
[snapback]154427[/snapback]​

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been reading a lot of stuff from this forum, and learning ALOT. My ultimate goal is to replace the speakers, cut off the rear speakers, buy a sub box(would love to build one, but i'm just not that talented) for under the strut bar, install a sub, buy/make an amp rack that will either sit infront of the sub box or in back of it, and replace the headunit with a in dash dvd unit. What the wallet can handle now is almost everything except the HU. I've decided on some cdt's from crutchfield, but thats it. I'm confused in the whole amp and sub area and not sure whats good and whats not. Still reading.

Ill keep you guys informed when stuff starts happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does Crutchfield sell CDT Audio speakers? I couldn't find them on their website. I'm probably gonna get me a pair of component speakers from their own CDT Store on eBay.

The prices look pretty darn amazing. They even have "Grade B" stuff at a discount. Cosmetic defects only; full warranty. Nice.

Do a search on eBay for CDT Audio.

Originally posted by mattgaide@Sep 15 2005, 03:29 PM
I've decided on some cdt's from crutchfield, but thats it.  I'm confused in the whole amp and sub area and not sure whats good and whats not.  Still reading.

Ill keep you guys informed when stuff starts happening.
[snapback]155377[/snapback]​
:shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Good point on setting a limit or figuring out what you want before starting. I'm getting really sick of the Bose cd player. For now, the sound quality is fine for me, but I'm sure that a new HU, speakers and amps will make the sound quality a hundred times better.

I don't think you can just replace the HU w/o replacing the speakers. I like my rear hatch space, so I will be happy with the sub behind the seat.

Some day, I will have a kicking stereo system in the Z just like I had in my 300ZX. Now that was sweet....and don't ask what I had because I forgot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts