Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would like to get impressions on the ATS twin carbon clutch, the 1,100 kg version. Looking for perspectives on noise, pedal effort versus stock (both standard and soft options) and general streetabilty. Plan on getting this to go along a FI build up (~400whp) want to maintain stock clutch characteristics as much as possible but will be tracking the car a couple of times a year.

thanks

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I plan on going with ATS once the funding is avaialble and I will do a full write up on it. I also plan on going with their rear Carbon LSD. In a month or so I will have some info to post.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zxrage, look forward to your review, i'll be doing FI the install around march so your insights will be useful.. which one are you going to run (twin? pressure plate?)

thanks

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I was thinking about getting the 1,100kg triple carbon type R clutch. The pressue plate and flywheel will be CCM, or Carbon coated material. I will need something that I won't have to replace in the future when I turn up the boost and maybe even go beyond that.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
[/quote]

If you are thinkin of going that "high route", may want to consider the RPS twin Carbon to be release in Feb. They claim stock like feel, no chatter ,1000bhp and all sufrces Carbon and replaceable, lifetime warranty....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
In the brief time that I did talk to a rep on teh phone, he was giving me **** about the fact I didn't have my block sleeved at the moment and there is no way the stock sleeves will be able to handle above 500whp. I was telling him that there have been a few engines around 600 and one that went as high as 800. He said that he wasn't interested in dealing with me because I didn't know what I was talking about. That was about the same time when I made my decision that I don't like RPS because they are assholes and didn't want to talk but only think they are better than everyone else. So I made a deal with ATS.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how does the CCM coating impact the setup? wondering the pluses and minuses beyond cost of getting the coating

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-products/clutches-carbon.shtml

CCM (carbon coated metal) pressure plate / flywheel delivers more torque than standard metal pressure plate / flywheel.. The carbon coating was first introduced to the pressure plate for our single carbon clutch (Pro spec). Currently the application is offered as an option for the pressure plate for ATS twin/triple clutches and for all the ATS carbon clutch flywheels.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
HAHAHA. I got banned by the Nazis over there because my sponser was in direct competition with StrictlyZ. Hence my banning. Now for the guages.....

Speedhut is completing the final prototypes for my car and I will be installing them with a full writeup shortly. So you remember this involves all of the guagues for manual and automatic. Believe me I would have replied if on the other site if I was able to. But now you will just have to wait until I post the followup here.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
[/quote]
Ahh ok. I was wondering are these just gauge faces? or will these be led and gauge face (with different tint) replacements? Looking forward to the followup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are about 5 of us putting the ATS Twin Disc Carbon in their car right now. I'll be installing mine with the built motor in about 2 weeks. I talked to P1 Performance, and they have installed a couple of them on the 350Z. They told me the pedal feel is like stock, and there is no chatter whatsoever. Just a slight hmm at idle...which is normal for lightened flywheels anyways. It's, IMHO, the best clutch on the market today, and priced about $700 less than a comparable Exedy. same quality and benifits, but priced lower since they dont do a whole lot of marketing in the USA.

The entire assembly weights 26lbs. I got the extra carbon heat treatment, which increases trq loads by 10% without effecting engagement or feel. The Twin disc and 1100kh pressure plate is goot for 750ft/lbs of trq at the flywheel. $400 more gets you a triple disc, which puts you over 1000ft/lbs trq.

Here are some pics of my clutch I took earlier. If anyone is interested, I point you on where to buy them for about $1950 plus shipping.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am probably one of the five guys gq mentioned that also has the ATS twin disc. I SHOULD have my Z back this week and will definately give you a review on the clutch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
any 1st hand experience yet? also anybody have thoughts of which other clutch could handle up to 400whp but maintain the best drivability.. i'm not looking for the lightest setup, would in fact want to keep the stock flywheel and add a very streetable clutch that can take the hp..

·
Registered
288 Posts
[/quote]

The ACT street clutch (US$499) will fit straight on to the stock flywheel and is good for 517ft/lbs of torque which should be enough for 400whp or you can wait for the heavy flywheel option available for the ATS twin and triple carbon clutches, it's under test at the moment and should be available in around 3 months, it's similar in weight to the Nismo flywheel, which will be better for a street setup as the light flywheel (9.9lbs) is great for the track ie: 2500rpm and above but noisy below these revs (chatter).

Cheers :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
288 Posts
[/quote]

I think is has a 35% higher clamping force and yes can be slipped but is not suitable for dumping the clutch at 4000rpm as per Drag racing its an organic friction plate.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts