Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone with the ATS twin disc clutch to post a review. From reading about it, I like it a lot. But want some user opinions.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sharif can prob. comment on feel , etc.

I'm going to try one out in a few weeks I hope. If I like it, I'll get it asap.
Excellent. Reading about it makes me hot! j/k But I really would like a user review of some sort.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I guess I can give a user review of sorts. :) I have used both the triple and the twin disc carbon in my personal car. Pedal pressure is like stock, and you will find that the cold carbon discs provide plenty of slip, even for low RPM launches. The ATS Carbon's are the only clutches I know, that can hold 600-1500hp worth of power, but still be totally smooth and streetable. Even with their 9.9lb flywheel, there is no chatter or obnoxious starting behavior.

There are two small drawbacks. As is the case with any lightened flywheel, the clutch will make a little bit of noise when the pedal is engaged at idle. It is very minor, and not noticable once you are inside the cabin. The second, is that under load between 2000rpm and 3000rpm, you will hear the typical "cement mixer" noise. This is not unique to the ATS, as this noise is present on all lightened flywheels. Overall, the ATS is much less noisy in comparison to some of the other clutch/flywheel combos on the market.

Depending on your power goals, you should get the twin disc or triple, but always with the 1350kg pressure plate if you intend to EVER drag race the car. The 1350kg pressure plate is about 20% stiffer than stock, but still very streetable. The twin is good for 900 crank hp, and the triple for 1500hp...assuming you pick the 1350kg pressur plate.

I have used a vast number of different types of clutches, and by far the ATS is my personal favorite. Excellent longevity, nutty holding power, and smooth engagement Twins are $1950 and the triples are $2450 right now.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information Sharif.. I think I have made my decision.
Just out of curiosity... what are you gaining with a new clutch?

does it weigh less?
Several reasons. First the stock clutch and flywheel assembly is 45.2lbs where the ATS twin disc carbon clutch and flywheel is only 25.6 lbs. A 20lb savings in rotational inertia is a huge plus.

Finally, for turbo/sc cars, the stock clutch will not hold for long. Higher holding torque is needed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here's my 2cents..

I've had almost a year with my ATS dual carbon 1100kg clutch now (~8K miles)..

THE GOOD
It is a very streetable clutch. Mine is silent at idle.. pedal effort is like stock.. when the clutch is cold, it drives a lot like stock. You wouldn't even be able to distinguish the difference if it weren't for the mac truck/cement mixer noise at a little below 2000-3000RPM.. I got used to the noise and I don't mind it.. you will get strange looks from your avg. Joe however..

THE BAD
when I get stuck in bumper-to-bumper for about 20+ mins the clutch does start to heat up and it's tough to drive (loses all slip-ability).. the lightened flywheel also does not like to glide or cruise in low gear.. it will engine brake on you and you will have to stay on light throttle (which is again bad in traffic)-- you will jerk and the clutch will make all kinds of strange noises.. you will look like you just learned how to drive a manual tranny LOL.. it's not fun...

I don't drive my car much however and I can deal with it.. if the car was a daily commuter and traffic is very bad in your area like it is in the land of the 10 year $18 Billion Big Dig project (Boston) you may reconsider getting the heavy flywheel version..

OTHER STUFF
The only other notable characterstic is that the slipability seems to vary from stoplight to stoplight for me.. sometimes you get a lot, sometimes you just have to launch it ;) It's probably the heating and cooling of the clutch on the street while driving around town that causes this..

At first, I spent a lot of time concentrating on how to drive the thing(I'd say for the first 6 months) but it has become second nature to me now and I don't even think twice in 85% of my driving conditions..

VERDICT
Performance is a trade off.. with it's great grip ability when warm, it launches your car pretty hard in racing conditions.. and can hold the extra horsepower of most FI'ed Z's without worry.. but in extreme daily driver conditions this characteristic can also work against you. This clutch is probably something in between the wild Tilton and the mild JWT/NISMO..

--mike

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cant wait ... maybe you should let me test it on my car first and then if its good i can send it to you..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts