Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:helpsmilie: Just received my car today with the SC installed. 381 was the best pull with 4 follow ups at 375 on the dot like clock work. The power, "INCREDIBLE". My question to anyone else with the same SC is," How loud is yours." Mine is extremely loud. I couldn't sneak up on anyone, ever. It sounds like the SC is hanging out of the hood. Any ideas or is that just the way it is?
ATI Procharger 7 pound pulley.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Sounds normal to me. I have heard or read somewhere that the ATI is loud. Those are good numbers. And welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Who needs to sneak up? Just whine at them until they get the :poop: scared out of them! :)

:jk:
Sounds normal to me too. Maybe PM Daking. He might be able to help you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
sorry i am unfamiliar with the kit but is it a centrifugal style charger or a screw type like a roots eaton? cause i've never seen a lysholm/opcon twin screw 5/3 lobe for the Z but i haven't been looking that hard...

but the screw type chargers are loud chargers... actually they're all loud... if i had the clip of my Corrado with the Opcon Autorotor 2087 on it hosted still you would probably be happy with how quiet yours is... basically people thought my car was a fire truck... but it was a noise i was more than willing to deal with for the most efficient supercharger in the world today...

if i knew what the charger is i could probably tell you what to expect noise wise... but yeh most people like turbo's, i like superchargers, so if you have questions on them i could probably help out...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]
Well, I'll take any help I can. It is however a centrifugal SC, and it does make a lot of noise. Fire truck loud, no. I guess when you go from a very quiet car to one that really whines at you, or should I say, begs to be ran, it takes some getting used to. At idle is torture to me, but once its rolling, its fantastic. Part of the noise problem happens to be the outer belt closest to the radiator is touching the hood at times. Just ever so slight, but that is part of it. It called for a belt from gates that was 880mm long. I found one thats 840mm long. Lets hope it fits. Its roughly 1 1/4" shorter. Thats a lot. Well see.
If you have any ideas of the at idle noise, I'd appreciate it. Its almost more vibration sound than SC sound. But only at idle our reverse. Ideas?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I may be able to help as I have dealt with this same issue.

Yes the ATI is loud for several reasons some of which can be addressed.

Teeth hitting the grooves in the pulleys compresses air almost sonically-hence the classic cog belt whine. Can't do any thing about it.

Gears in the ATI head unit are straight cut therefore loud. Can't do anything about it.

One **** of a lot of pulleys riding on bearings in this system and they make a lot of noise. If you run your car with the smaller belt off you will see that it still makes a lot of noise even when the S/C is not turning.

The worse origin of noise on mine was the adjustable idler pulley. With the belt off and the pulley and adjuster tight try pulling the pulling in-out on the shaft. It has a lot of unneeded free play and needs a thrust washer which is like a flat spring which keeps the pulley from riding back and forth on the shaft. This stopped the mechanical "rattling sound" You also want to check the eccentric adjuster cam for the same thing because it does come with a thrust washer and if it's not there it'll do the same thing.

Also-if your belt is slightly too long to adjust with it riding on top of the idler pulley you can install it under the the pulley and simply push the pulley down while tightening instead of using the adjuster. I can't think of any reason this would be a problem although some may disagree and say that the belt MUST be routed as the manual shows.

You can also use a big screwdriver or 3/8 extension as a stethoscope and listen to the different parts of the system at idle and it'll help you locate the source of specific noises. Just be careful :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/quote]
Man, thanks for the heads up.... I'm off to the garage to check all this out. Thanks. Well you were right, idler pulley has a lot of play. Where exactly do I install the thrust washer?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
QUOTE (RBALDINELLII @ Jan 30 2005, 04:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=67179
:helpsmilie: Just received my car today with the SC installed. 381 was the best pull with 4 follow ups at 375 on the dot like clock work. The power, "INCREDIBLE". My question to anyone else with the same SC is," How loud is yours." Mine is extremely loud. I couldn't sneak up on anyone, ever. It sounds like the SC is hanging out of the hood. Any ideas or is that just the way it is?
ATI Procharger 7 pound pulley.

I have the 7lb procharger kit (ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!) I dont know what people are talking about with theirs exploding their engines...sounds like a bad tune or bad install. I guess I am lucky. Mine whistle pretty loud around 1450rpm...infact, sometimes I drive at the rpm range just for the whine...other than that, I think it's just you?? I don't notice mine unless the engine/sc is cold.

Did you just buy it/install it?? during the 500mile breakin period, I noticed it was loud, but after that it cooled off...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts