Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons to holding onto stock parts that have been replaced by mods. I have a perspective buyer who wants my oem catback exhaust and oem intake box. They have been replaced and are sitting in storage. Is it wise to hold on to them? I had the local tuner shop put on the mods so I'm inclined to sell her with mods. I hope that day is far off, but is it difficult to sell a car with mods?
Also, does anyone know a reasonable asking price for oem exhaust and Intake box (10,000) miles, both in good condition.
Thank you
:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
788 Posts
One reason I can see for keeping the parts (I am, btw) is if you possibly see yourself keeping the car for many years. Whereupon the car will become more valuable with all the original parts.

Of course, there may be specific cases where it would be nice to keep the spare part around in case the mod part breaks.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Of course, there may be specific cases where it would be nice to keep the spare part around in case the mod part breaks.

Also, keeping the OEM part provides an easy swap for the aftermarket one, should it cause a problem that would normally be covered under warantee. No sense in having your warantee voided, or fighting with a dealership about a possible void when you could have just replaced the part with the OEM one and played dumb :helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've got a few OEM parts laying around, more because I really didn't feel like putting an ad out for them. Something in the back of my mind was telling me to keep them. I guess Conan has a good point about keeping the car for a long time and being able to restore it if need be. Also, having them lay around for warranty issues is a wise choice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like good advice, I think I needed the voice of reason more than dollar bills. It's going to suck having to take all of those mods off, not to mention the cash. I don't plan on selling, it hasn't even been a thought. It seems like there would be a market for Z's with mod's. I'd take a moded Z for a little extra dinero ($). Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Basic Tenet - "all original" cars sell for more than modified ones. Go to an auction to confirm this.

Meantime - have fun. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basic Tenet - "all original" cars sell for more than modified ones. Go to an auction to confirm this.

Meantime - have fun. :shiftdrive:
Bogus! The "Man" keeps on keeping me down. Alright, I'll have fun. I think I'm going to have to get some mechanic skilz. All I can think about is modding my Z.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'd have to disagree. Some modded cars sell for more than stock. Look at the rebuilds of old classics. Nothing stock about those. Even the Vette engines make their way into old t-buckets or classics. Nothing about those cars are original anymore.

I sold my Z32 with a lot of mods, and that's what the buyer was looking for, so he was happy to pay above the market price.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd have to disagree. Some modded cars sell for more than stock. Look at the rebuilds of old classics. Nothing stock about those. Even the Vette engines make their way into old t-buckets or classics. Nothing about those cars are original anymore.

I sold my Z32 with a lot of mods, and that's what the buyer was looking for, so he was happy to pay above the market price.
I think I've got to disagree, Dave. What you said is true, but I don't believe it's the norm. On average, cars with all original equipment bring more money than modified cars. As you noted there are exceptions, but usually modifications lower the resale value.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Conan, I didn't mean it was the norm like Bryan was stating. I just wanted to say that there are many exceptions.

I watch Speed TV and see the BJ auctions... :lol:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Someone is auctioning off BJ's?? Where do I bid?? :rolf2:

Oh, and if that's what you meant, Dave, then I guess I agree with you :cheers:
You sick bastid! I knew someone would comment on that. :wink:

I have noticed a trend when it comes to rebuilding or restoring cars in general, and people are paying a premium for old and new cars that are being customized by all these famous named shops. So that could be leading away from the trend as far as paying for an original car with original parts.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just received another letter from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District yesterday saying they will pay me, hold on to your hats, $650 for my 72 Austin Mini.

Not that it matters to everybody as different states have different regulations but here in California they screwed a bunch of people when they started smogging cars a few decades ago. Stuff that had been long thrown away or broken was completely unavailable and lots of folks sold decent cars out of state because they could not get them registered here.

My feeling is, unless it's a space issues, it's worth it just in case. You never know who will be in charge next or what factors might change the rules on you.

Chris

·
Registered
312 Posts

It depends on how much time your willing to spend. Yeah, if you just put it in the paper or take it to a dealership your mods mean nothing. But if your in the car scene you can almost always find a willing buyer. If you are the only person you know who mods then your going to have problems.

I have kept all my stock parts, even my dented original hood. I just like having all the original parts, just in case I would happen to need them for something. I have no intention of ever selling my Z, it will be my fun car long after it is no longer my daily. I'll probably end up w/ a practical family car for my next daily driver... like a WRX or Evo. I've always wanted a Z now I have one, no reason to change it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Dave - on this we disagree!

I had a couple of friends who dabbled in older cars. (Vette's - Mercs - Chevys)

These guys would spend hours (literally) going over a potential purchase to make sure EVERYTHING was "all original."

Yes, you might find a buyer who's looking for just what you have, but if you're in it to make the $$, keep it completely stock. :cheers:

As always, just my very humble opinion. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dave - on this we disagree!

I had a couple of friends who dabbled in older cars. (Vette's - Mercs - Chevys)

These guys would spend hours (literally) going over a potential purchase to make sure EVERYTHING was "all original."

Yes, you might find a buyer who's looking for just what you have, but if you're in it to make the $$, keep it completely stock. :cheers:

As always, just my very humble opinion. :shiftdrive:
Okay, I see how it is. I am going to keep the stock parts, but if I sell, you bastards better buy the mods. In reality, I'll never sell. Tomorrow, I'm going to dyno days. Yippee! I'll post the results and buy some more mods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.