Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of putting some smoke side markers on my Z, but are they street legal? I have a SB Z, so it will flow nice with the color of the car, but the last thing I want in to be pulled over here in GA for smoke side markers. Any one have any info/advice/experience with putting these on their car & the legality of them?

What about tinting the amber strip in the headlight. Would that be "street" illegal?

Thanks!
Solo

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I wouldn't think so, since like Terri said, they are only reflectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm thinking of putting on smoke reflectors with amber LEDs that light up with the turn signal on my SB Z. Would the fact that they light up make them illegal, I would think not, but its always good to get others opinions.

Hey Jinxxycat, what part of Pittsburgh do you live in? I grew up there (near South Park). Live in the "A" now, but was just home a few weeks ago........

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by Solo2k5@Jul 15 2005, 10:42 AM
Well I'm thinking of putting on smoke reflectors with amber LEDs that light up with the turn signal on my SB Z. Would the fact that they light up make them illegal, I would think not, but its always good to get others opinions.

Hey Jinxxycat, what part of Pittsburgh do you live in? I grew up there (near South Park). Live in the "A" now, but was just home a few weeks ago........
[snapback]132282[/snapback]​

I just moved here 3 1/2 years ago to be w/ my hubby (grew up in Richmond, VA).....we live in Wilkins twp, Churchill area just off Greensburg Pike. :wavey: Work in Blawnox/Fox Chapel area on Freeport Road. GO STEELIES~
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/jinxxycat/smilies/15248-steelers2.gif');}" />

(my mom was born and raised here in DaBurgh, so I was brought up dressed in black n gold!)

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. I know the regular smoked ones don't matter, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get grief for the LED's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grew up in Finleyville just south of Bethel Park/South Park. I went to Robert Morris & moved to Hampton VA when I graduated. Then I came back to Da Burgh for a few years & now I've been in Atlanta for two years. I don't think I'll be coming back to Pittsburgh to live anymore. Being able to drive my Z year-round is enough to keep me here!

Go Stillers!

Always good to see another Steelers fan!

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Originally posted by Solo2k5@Jul 15 2005, 10:42 AM

[snapback]132282[/snapback]​

I thought South Park was in Colorado :lol:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by Solo2k5@Jul 15 2005, 10:55 AM
I grew up in Finleyville just south of Bethel Park/South Park. I went to Robert Morris & moved to Hampton VA when I graduated. Then I came back to Da Burgh for a few years & now I've been in Atlanta for two years. I don't think I'll be coming back to Pittsburgh to live anymore. Being able to drive my Z year-round is enough to keep me here!

Go Stillers!

Always good to see another Steelers fan!
[snapback]132297[/snapback]​

Tell me about it! I moved from Ric, VA to Venice Beach in Los Angeles for a few years, and now to da Burgh, rude awakening from socal! :ahhh: but it was for LOVE so the pros outweigh all the snow in the world! :clap: :wub:

·
Registered
286 Posts
The smoked and white side marker reflectors are illegal. The standards for lighting and markers, as well as all other equipment, are set by USDOT. All manufactuers are obligated to adhere to these standards. These standards are then adopted by the individual States in their motor vehicle codes.

The USDOT standards state that all vehicles must be equipped with side marker reflectors. The front side reflectors MUST be amber and the rear side reflectors MUST be red.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by dm4@Jul 15 2005, 10:27 AM
The smoked and white side marker reflectors are illegal. The standards for lighting and markers, as well as all other equipment, are set by USDOT. All manufactuers are obligated to adhere to these standards. These standards are then adopted by the individual States in their motor vehicle codes.

The USDOT standards state that all vehicles must be equipped with side marker reflectors. The front side reflectors MUST be amber and the rear side reflectors MUST be red.
[snapback]132360[/snapback]​

Good info dm4. I appreciate your clearing this up for me. I guess I'll take my chances with having smoke reflectors.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by Solo2k5+Jul 15 2005, 04:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dm4
@Jul 15 2005, 10:27 AM

Good info dm4. I appreciate your clearing this up for me. I guess I'll take my chances with having smoke reflectors.
[snapback]132549[/snapback]​

Solo I really don't think they are even going to mess w/ you on those. Unless you are caught going 150+ and then they will nitpick every little thing. PPL here in DaBUrgh get pulled all the time for tint, but I haven't even had any police look at me sideways and the markers have been smoked for a long time. If you are at all concerned, why not get some overlays and try them out www.bluebatmobile.com they can be peeled off if you want, and only cost like $15....:dunno:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Chances are that it is unlikely that you will get stopped for improper side markers. Where the improper side markers may become an issue is at inspection time, but as they say, " you pays your money and you takes your chances." Good luck.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by dm4@Jul 16 2005, 07:11 AM
Chances are that it is unlikely that you will get stopped for improper side markers. Where the improper side markers may become an issue is at inspection time, but as they say, " you pays your money and you takes your chances." Good luck.
[snapback]132721[/snapback]​

True. People here pay hundreds of dollars for tint, get caught, take it off, go to court, put it back on and take their chances again. Seems like a waste and a risk to me, so I am tintless. The sidemarkers are a difft story, so insignificant it's not an issue. I am struggling w/ the tails tho. Want to smoke them but still be very visible.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 15 2005, 10:19 AM
Depends upon GA state law.  Here in PA I am sure they are illegal but I have overlays anyhow.  They do NOT light up so the only function is as a reflector.  :dunno:
[snapback]132260[/snapback]​

They are fine. :)

I actually checked, there's nothing wrong with them as there's still amber underneath.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Originally posted by dm4@Jul 15 2005, 12:27 PM

hrmm.. that does make sense.. maybe the people I asked didn't know afterall..

Guess I have to double check.. oh well.. i'm not taking them out. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good thing here in GA is that we don't have a yearly car inspection like I remember back in PA. So unless I get pulled over for speeding & the cop is a jerk, I don't see myself getting fined for them. It wouldn't be too big of a deal for me, I would just have to pop the old ambers back in.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts