Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got the car on the road last night after what turned out to be lengthy guage install.

I talked to GRD about the amount of preload to run, and got that all set to go. We got things buttoned up and put the shield on under the turbo, and headed out for a test drive. HOLY SH!T, the car felt awesome. Decently comparable to the twins out of box. A bit more turbo lag, but saying that is being picky.

With the weather being cold (actually relatively warm for us now) and the road conditions, we only ran it up to about 6 grand or so. The car held at just below 10 psi the ENTIRE time. We could not see any boost tapering at all.

At this point, it doesn't seem to be afflicted by the check valve issue, though we really didn't let it sit since the test drive. Still I am feeling confident that it won't.

The only 'bad' we had is that occasionally, we are getting a bit of rattle from the heat shield near the turbo. with clearances so tight I expected a rattle or two. We will get the car up on the hoist and see if we can bend the shields a little bit more to rememdy/prevent this.

I had read about numerous issues with this kit, the most concerning to me were the check valve and boost tapering, both of which, we had no trouble with at this point.

All an all, the install took a little longer than I expected, but was worth it in the end.

FYI:
>With the addition of the new clutch line in the kit, we noticed a bit stiffer clutch pedal
>Car is fitted with APS ST exhaust
>Preload on the actuator was set to just about 1.5 holes. About 2 turns more on the rod than the APS video demonstrates
> AFR held at 11.2-11.4 untill about 4600 where it dropped below 11 (AEM wideband doesn't read below 11)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hopefully, nothing comes loose or rears its ugly head later on.

Good job on the install, Aaron! :thumbsup: You should open up a shop.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congats on the car. Now go spank someones butt on the road. And write a good story. Happy Holidays and boosting.
Blake is the owner of the car - I run the TT setup on my car

He had the car out last night and today and was already telling about all the races he was in.

Handing over the keys after install felt like giving a loaded gun to a 3 yr old - I fear for his safety

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:rolf2: Aaron, you're like the devil in disguise. Tempting the unsuspecting is a :nono:

Man, you guys with FI are making me :drool: about power.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:rolf2: Aaron, you're like the devil in disguise. Tempting the unsuspecting is a :nono:

Man, you guys with FI are making me :drool: about power.

you should have come down when we had the car out. I would have bet Blake would have let you take it for a spin. Maybe it's a good thing you didn't. :shiftdrive:

I am just glad he put the car away without any high speed chases, crashing, etc.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
you should have come down when we had the car out. I would have bet Blake would have let you take it for a spin. Maybe it's a good thing you didn't. :shiftdrive:

I am just glad he put the car away without any high speed chases, crashing, etc.
:werd: When was that again? I'm sure I was in my deathbed if I couldn't make it to the testing area.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:werd: When was that again? I'm sure I was in my deathbed if I couldn't make it to the testing area.

Thursday night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts