Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we finally got a chance to dyno the APS plenum on my APS TT Z.
Some history: Were running an APS Twin Turbo kit on a built bottom end with 8.5:1 compression and have maxed out the stock APS wastegate actuator springs at 10.5 psi . We did not know prior to install that the springs APS ships are only good for 10-12 psi. There is a way to get a few PSI more out of them but it requires dropping one of the turbos to make the adjustments so we will just wait for our upgraded selenoids to come in.We were originally tuned at Altered Atmosphere in MD, and were running a very conservative fuel map which put our A/F at about 10.0 @4000 rpms and leaning a bit to an 11.2 from 6500-7400rpms. With this map We made abut 383 whp and 340tq.
I recently upgraded from the Borla TD to the APS 2.5" exhaust and re-dyno'd without any tuning on a 98 degree, very humid day on a DIFFERENT dyno. On this run we realized 395 whp and 359 TQ without any modifications to the tune. Now since it was a different dyno I will not confirm anh HP or TQ gains but I will say the car felt faster and the turbos spooled up so much faster. But since I utilized a different dyno I can only assume on my HP gains. I would say it was safe to assume a 8-10 whp gain with the APS Exhaust over the Borla TD.
Now the fun part comes in. We bolted on an APS tallboy plenum without any modifications to the car or state of tune in similar weather conditions with all the adjustments calibrated to sea level on the exact same DYNO.
We dyno'd at 417 WHP and 362TQ compared to our last dyno of 395 WHP and 359 TQ. We also saw a slightly leaner A/F mixture of .2 to .4 of an A/F point throughout the A/F chart. Which only leads me to one conclusion...
The APS plenum WORKS and produced 23WHP and 3 TQ without ANY further tuning. I must say I was truely impressed and would love to see the gain on a car running higher boost levels and cams and head work. What I find amazing is that APS never once claimed any dyno gains or posted any numbers on their plenum. We were a bit sceptical and went into the DYNO run expecting maybe a few HP but to achieve 23WHP was amazing results. We feel we could pick up an additional 20 WHP by leaning out or rich A/F mixture to a flat 11.5

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:OMG: Break out the checkbooks and credit cards, you turbo whores!!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Wow..Great gains from the plenum!

Ugh..I don't think I can hold out from the ST or TT too much longer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
"We dyno'd at 417 WHP and 362TQ compared to our last dyno of 395 WHP and 359 TQ. We also saw a slightly leaner A/F mixture of .2 to .4 of an A/F point throughout the A/F chart."

When was this "last" dyno. Why not do one immediatley b4 and after install?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by AZ350Z@Aug 1 2005, 03:34 PM
"We dyno'd at 417 WHP and 362TQ compared to our last dyno of 395 WHP and 359 TQ. We also saw a slightly leaner A/F mixture of .2 to .4 of an A/F point throughout the A/F chart."

When was this "last" dyno.  Why not do one immediatley b4 and after install?
[snapback]140188[/snapback]​

We had to finish up an install of an APS kit in a G35 which took priority to my installing a plenum and dyno'ing my own car. There really is no difference if we waited a week, the plenum made it legitimate #s. Weather was not a factor cause the two days were similar and weather conditions is one of the factors the dyno takes into consideration during its calibration.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm assuming these power gains will be minimal with a NA Z compared to a FI Z correct? Nice numbers, congrats... keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to post it,here is my side by side comparison of the APS plenum install.This dyno was done on the same dyno in the same conditions with NO OTHER tunning or changes made to the system.The A/F chart displays CLEARLY the ability of the APS plenum to out flow the stock plenum. I can say this dyno proves it works,now if only I had an independent dyno of the kinetix one..Anyone interested in an APS plenum for a N/A car contact me we really want before and after results on one..

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts