101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by daveyello+Jun 13 2005, 05:00 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2005, 11:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-daveyello
@Jun 13 2005, 04:39 PM

I just had the APS TT installed on my 2004 350z roadster with no other mods. The car drives well except for two things: (the kit was installed by APS certified group)

1) Engine/battery warning lights flicker when I accelerate especially when the turbo spools. I can also see the battery indicator drop to 12 volts and below. Any suggestions? Did the alternator not get grounded correctly after install? 

2) After running the car...the cabin begins to smell like gas. I'm running 91 octane.  Could running too rich do this?

Need help! Thank you.
[snapback]113250[/snapback]​

on the fuel smell.. here is a stab in the dark.. the large o-ring for the fuel pump assembly may have expanded during install and not providing an adequate seal.. they tend to expand with fuel contact..

on the flickering lights. have no idea.. odd that it occurs when you accelerate..
[snapback]113254[/snapback]​

Thanks, I'll have the installer check the O-ring. My car just died!
The voltage dropped to 8 and the radio reception starting fading, service light went on then my acceleration went out. What a nightmare. Luckily I was close to home and coasted back.
[snapback]113681[/snapback]​

Well, my installer says the battery/brake light flicker is fixed. It was due to a loose wire in the INSIDE of the car during the install. He's still looking at the gas smell. I gave everyones comments to him and he's looking into it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Originally posted by daveyello+Jun 16 2005, 10:59 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 05:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-daveyello

I just had the APS TT installed on my 2004 350z roadster with no other mods. The car drives well except for two things: (the kit was installed by APS certified group)

1) Engine/battery warning lights flicker when I accelerate especially when the turbo spools. I can also see the battery indicator drop to 12 volts and below. Any suggestions? Did the alternator not get grounded correctly after install? 

2) After running the car...the cabin begins to smell like gas. I'm running 91 octane.  Could running too rich do this?

Need help! Thank you.

on the fuel smell.. here is a stab in the dark.. the large o-ring for the fuel pump assembly may have expanded during install and not providing an adequate seal.. they tend to expand with fuel contact..

on the flickering lights. have no idea.. odd that it occurs when you accelerate..

The voltage dropped to 8 and the radio reception starting fading, service light went on then my acceleration went out. What a nightmare. Luckily I was close to home and coasted back.

Well, my installer says the battery/brake light flicker is fixed. It was due to a loose wire in the INSIDE of the car during the install. He's still looking at the gas smell. I gave everyones comments to him and he's looking into it. Thanks for the help.
[snapback]116122[/snapback]​

Im going to say he dfid not follow APS's instructions and utilized the wrong bolts for the top of the fuel tank and punctured the fuel tank.We did it on our shop car ans APS put out a bulliten about it as we were the first ones to install the APS kit in the USA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by Daking350Z+Jun 17 2005, 12:37 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 05:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-daveyello

Need help! Thank you.

[snapback]116122[/snapback]​

Im going to say he dfid not follow APS's instructions and utilized the wrong bolts for the top of the fuel tank and punctured the fuel tank.We did it on our shop car ans APS put out a bulliten about it as we were the first ones to install the APS kit in the USA.
[snapback]116890[/snapback]​

You guys are great. My installer says the flicker and gas smell is fixed. He says the feul regulator was leaking. The engine service light is on and he says he had it in other cars that he has installed and thought that it was a known problem with the APS. Is this true? I'll make sure to ask him about the bolts and hope he did not do that. Again, thanks. This site is awesome.

·
Registered
89 Posts
on the check engine light, you will need a tool to check specifically what the error code is.. i would clear the check engine light and if it comes back on get it diagnosed. it might have been triggered by something minor during the install thats not an issue anymore.. for example having the fuel cover open is something minor that can trigger the light.. or it could be something serious that you need to address right away.. best of luck on getting these things sorted

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by ether@Jun 20 2005, 11:08 PM
on the check engine light, you will need a tool to check specifically what the error code is.. i would clear the check engine light and if it comes back on get it diagnosed. it might have been triggered by something minor during the install thats not an issue anymore.. for example having the fuel cover open is something minor that can trigger the light.. or it could be something serious that you need to address right away.. best of luck on getting these things sorted
[snapback]118460[/snapback]​

Here's the code, I finally bought an OBD II reader. The code is p1273 and p1283 (both read "manufactured controlled air and fuel metering") Can someone help? :helpsmilie: I cleared it and it comes right back. :doh:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Originally posted by ether@Jun 30 2005, 03:52 AM
didn't know that list was on the site.. nice..

1273 and 1283 seem to be the o2 sensors seeing a lean situation.. which is kind of weird.. expecting to see rich error codes with FI kits
[snapback]124295[/snapback]​

yeah we need to get some better organization going on..

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA+Jun 30 2005, 07:26 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ether
@Jun 30 2005, 03:52 AM

1273 and 1283 seem to be the o2 sensors seeing a lean situation.. which is kind of weird.. expecting to see rich error codes with FI kits

yeah we need to get some better organization going on..
[snapback]124339[/snapback]​

Nissan OBDII codes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by ether@Jun 30 2005, 01:52 AM

More specifically Bank 1 and 2 of the air/fuel monitor error. I think it could be too rich or too lean. On my dyno, I was running too rich (A/F ratio of 14).

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Originally posted by daveyello+Jul 2 2005, 12:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ether
@Jun 30 2005, 01:52 AM

More specifically Bank 1 and 2 of the air/fuel monitor error. I think it could be too rich or too lean. On my dyno, I was running too rich (A/F ratio of 14).
[snapback]125688[/snapback]​

A/F ratio of 14 is way to LEAN...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by Daking350Z+Jul 6 2005, 08:49 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2005, 12:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-ether
@Jun 30 2005, 01:52 AM

[snapback]125688[/snapback]​

A/F ratio of 14 is way to LEAN...
[snapback]127938[/snapback]​

I think you're right. The Nissan OBD II says its lean. Is this dangerous condition to drive? I'm taking my car to another installer...ASAP

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update: My CEL is now off. No more codes. Test pipes were put in with Wideband A/F now shows 14 without boost and 11 at boost. The test pipes were the only change made to the car. My installer says the 2004.5 Z's have a different O2 sensor and the map provided with the APS turbo does not account for it. With the test pipes, the car runs great now and no more light after 500 miles. Thanks for everyones help.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts