Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey guys just as a matter of interest and for my own knowledge how many of you guys are using FI now and what type of product did you choose?

It would be great to know what product you chose and the reasons why, this helps us to cater for you guys in the future so any fedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Peter, i havent chose any b/c i want to keep my options open since all these kits are fairly new. i mean within the last few months there a lot of new systems that have came out or are gonna come out. i also want to see what new ECU management systems come out as well. i know there is the Technosquare, and people are also starting to use the greddy emanage system to. i am really interested in seeing your kit on a Z in the states!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome Peter...
Have you had your system on the dyno yet??
What are some of the areas that you out perform your competitors??

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by aps@Aug 17 2004, 04:28 PM
Hey guys just as a matter of interest and for my own knowledge how many of you guys are using FI now and what type of product did you choose?

It would be great to know what product you chose and the reasons why, this helps us to cater for you guys in the future so any fedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

I have ATI Procharger for now...Got a great deal on it...Selling it to get your kit.

Hey Peter, I thought the oil pan was part of the kit?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by 350z@Aug 17 2004, 04:37 PM
Peter, i havent chose any b/c i want to keep my options open since all these kits are fairly new.  i mean within the last few months there a lot of new systems that have came out or are gonna come out.  i also want to see what new ECU management systems come out as well.  i know there is the Technosquare, and people are also starting to use the greddy emanage system to.  i am really interested in seeing your kit on a Z in the states!!

Yes it will be interesting to see what else is released over the next few months though I don't believe there will be many more FI products released.............I suspect that the US market will be over supplied with FI product as it is now.

From what I have been able to research there is at least 8 different options/brands now so I doubt thet any other significant manufacturers will invest in this product.............I guess only time will tell.

Yes the engine management market is going to be interesting though I suspect the real challenge will be the shortage of true load base dynos and experienced technicians to map and tune engines with this technology.

To achieve an excellent and safe state of engine tune/strategy for the various number of different combinations of modifications (plenums, camshafts, lower comp ratios,force induction, etc, etc,) and the different levels of fuel octanes which are available in the US is not going to be easy, this in my view is the biggest issue that many tuners will face and need to solve in order to satisfy the Z owner who demands perfection.

Sorry for the rant though this tuning issue has been on my mind for some time and really concerns me.

Do you guys have many true load base dynos (with electric retarders) in your area, if so I would really like to hear who they are and in what location these tuning shops and dynos are located.

Thanks again for your feedback

Peter

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Peter, this tuning issue has been on my mind as well!! i am checking and finding out who has true load base dynos (with electric retarders) in dallas, Tx, hopefully i will know something soon

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by Daking350Z@Aug 17 2004, 06:24 PM
Stupid question but what is an "electric retarder"?

A dyno with an electric retarder will allow the tuner to hold the engine at any pre set/determined rpm, this way you can set the speed controller to say 60 MPH (what ever rpm that is) and tune the car at 10% throttle opening and all the way to 100% throttle opeining as the dyno won't allow the car to go faster than the pre set MPH.

This style of dyno (load type/electric retarder) is absolutely perfect for engine tuning and it allows the tuner to achieve the best state of engine tune as you can hold the engine at the exact load and rpm point you want and then make changes to the ignition and air/fuel in real time you can also view the dynos power monitor to check the increase in power achieved from the tuning work.

I hope this explanation is clear enough, let me know if not and I will go into more detail.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by 350z@Aug 17 2004, 06:15 PM
Peter, this tuning issue has been on my mind as well!!  i am checking and finding out who has true load base dynos (with electric retarders) in dallas, Tx, hopefully i will know something soon

Ok good to know that I'm not the only one concerned with this tuning issue.

As luck has it (or good planing) one of our APS dealers in Austin has a modern load based dyno...........their business name is MZM and they are located in Austin.

This may help you out in the future if and when you need thorough tuning of your Z engine. :goodtimes:

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by 350z+Aug 17 2004, 06:37 PM-->QUOTE (350z @ Aug 17 2004, 06:37 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Daking350Z
@Aug 17 2004, 07:24 PM
Stupid question but what is an "electric retarder"?

daking i don't know what it is either, i thought i was stupid

Not a stupid question at all so don't ever be scared to ask questions............as none of us know everything and we all continue to learn more each day............that's the great thing about good tech forums............the opportunity to learn more from each other,Cool.

Peter

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by Daking350Z@Aug 17 2004, 05:57 PM
I have ATI Procharger for now...Got a great deal on it...Selling it to get your kit.

Hey Peter, I thought the oil pan was part of the kit?

Ok thanks for letting me know..............by the way what did you think of the proocharger system on the Z engine?

I have not seen or driven this S/C package so I'm very interested in your thoughts as I feel that the procharger generally is the best of the centrifugal type superchargers.

Well that's great to know that you're going to change over to the APS TT system and the high volume oil pan is part of the APS TT system.

By the way who is going to install and tune the APS TT system for you and what octane fuel do you have available in your region?

Obviously the engine will make higher Torque and horsepower on higher octane fuel................so I hope you have 93/94 octane fuel available in your region.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
this is great to know, and its great to learn something new today!! i actually have never head of them but i will look into it
thx

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Originally posted by aps@Aug 17 2004, 08:34 PM
As luck has it (or good planing) one of our APS dealers in Austin has a modern load based dyno...........their business name is MZM and they are located in Austin.

This may help you out in the future if and when you need thorough tuning of your Z engine. :goodtimes:

Thanks

Peter

i could always be your test car in the states and take it there to be tuned, and do a major write up on it!!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by 350z@Aug 17 2004, 10:35 PM
i could always be your test car in the states and take it there to be tuned, and do a major write up on it!!

<span style="color:darkblue">*******, you stole my idea. Haha
</span>

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok thanks for letting me know..............by the way what did you think of the proocharger system on the Z engine?
It was pretty good but I dont like all the moving parts and kept shredding belts at the track under high boost..I ran a best of 12.4 @8lbs of boost on drag radials with 388 whp and 341 tq, since that I went up to 9lbs and installed headers and a J&S safeguard but never retuned or went to the track...

I have not seen or driven this S/C package so I'm very interested in your thoughts as I feel that the procharger generally is the best of the centrifugal type superchargers.

This was always my thoughts, but since they had been the first ones on the market and "poped" about a dozen engines on the forums (I blame the tuning) they got a bad rep..But I loved it aside from the belts shredding..

Well that's great to know that you're going to change over to the APS TT system and the high volume oil pan is part of the APS TT system.

Well I just see more potential in the TT system especially since you guys did 90% of the work to help me achieve 550 whp ( my streetable goal!)
and developed a PROPER and COMPLETE fuel system..

By the way who is going to install and tune the APS TT system for you

The guys over at MRC Motorsports..I am kind of one of their sponsored SEMA cars :goodtimes: and very good friends with them and I swear by their work and knowledge..One of the guys is a mechanic since he is able to walk and has every friggin tool in the world..lol and the other guy is an engineer and is one of the smartest guys I have met...

and what octane fuel do you have available in your region?
average premium is 92-93 octane but I run Sunoco ultra 94 octane..We have acess to 100-116 octane just down the road at RACEWAY PARK...My second home.

Obviously the engine will make higher Torque and horsepower on higher octane fuel................so I hope you have 93/94 octane fuel available in your region.

We are building the engine to run about 550 whp for everyday use on 94 octane!!And most likely 600+ at the track on race fuel..
Just one question Peter,
Say we tune to a mid 500 hp level on 94 , now we go to the track and run 100 octane..Will we se any benifiet without re-tuning for the higher octane?Or do we need to tune the UNI Chip for the 100 octane in the first place?

PS check your PM box, I sent you a pm..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hey Peter, I have a few questions for you. I was wondering, if I were to upgrade the fuel injectors to 600cc or 750cc, would your fuel pump be able to handle the larger size injectors without loosing fuel pressure? Would the fuel pump with your kit need to be upgrade further? Also, the injectors that come with your kit, are they the same size for screwing into the fuel rail as a set of stock injectors? Thank you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by mally@Aug 17 2004, 05:41 PM
Welcome Peter...
Have you had your system on the dyno yet??
What are some of the areas that you out perform your competitors??

Well thanks for your welcome you guys on this forum are just the best.

Yeah we have completed lots of dyno testing on the APS TT system and even with stock rods and pistons (not that I recommend you do this) we have seen just on 500 Horsepower at the tires running on similar fuel to your 94 octane fuel. Whilst this power is certainly possible with the stock APS TT system the safe power level will depend on the fuel octane you utilise and how well tuned the engine is ( I recommend a custom dyno tune for anyone intending to run over 7 psi turbo pressure) ............as detonation is the enemy of FI engines and must be avoided at all times.

I believe that the APS TT will easily out perform any other current TT product that I know of in terms of engine response and outright torque and power as the base APS TT system will support up to 12 psi turbo pressure (APS fuel system is large enough to support 12 psi of boost).

Other TT products can only support 5 to 6 psi before needing significant fuel system upgrades......So in reality if you just added a stronger set of con rods to the stock engine and utilise 94 octane fuel then around 500 to 525 Hosepower at the tires is easily achievable with the APS TT system. :goodtimes:

I'm sure you guys are just going to love the APS TT system and I also think the quality of the product will set a new benchmark in ther 350Z market..........I have always admired HKS products and still do
(in my view they are the best of the Japanese tuning aftermarket) and I firmly believe that the APS TT product is of a higher quality than even HKS product.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
498 Posts
Originally posted by Zxrage@Aug 18 2004, 01:02 PM
Hey Peter, I have a few questions for you.  I was wondering, if I were to upgrade the fuel injectors to 600cc or 750cc, would your fuel pump be able to handle the larger size injectors without loosing fuel pressure?  Would the fuel pump with your kit need to be upgrade further?  Also, the injectors that come with your kit, are they the same size for screwing into the fuel rail as a set of stock injectors?  Thank you.

Well some excellent questions and unfortunatly I don't have an absolute answer at this time.

I need to build a stronger engine for my Z (waiting on rods and pistons) to see how far the power can be pushed...........at this time we will develop a fuel system to take the APS TT system to higher limits. :goodtimes:

I suspect that we will need to utilise an aditional fuel pump though I'm not sure how we will tackle the larger injectors..............we may decide to utilise another 6 supplementary injectors (on top of the original 6 fuel injectors in the base APS TT system) to handle the extra fuel required for huge power which can be mapped/controlled via the APS computer.

Sorry I can't provide you with any firm answer at this time.

Thanks

Peter

21 - 40 of 115 Posts