Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonderin which turbo do you think is the best APS TT, Greddy, Power Enterprise, ect. The APS TT looks really reliable, and on the exhaust does n e one know if the test pipes replace the cats?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I was wonderin which turbo do you think is the best APS TT, Greddy, Power Enterprise, ect. The APS TT looks really reliable, and on the exhaust does n e one know if the test pipes replace the cats?

Thanks,
Paul
There really isn't a best in general.

There is a best to you, which I would need some more information before I can suggest a kit (driving conditions, price limit, power goal, etc., etc.).

The top kits in my book are...
GReddy TT kit
APS TT kit
Turbonetics ST kit
Speed Force Racing TT kit

And yes, test pipes or high flow cats replace the OEM catalytic converter.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
so you dont like the aps st..................
Nah, not really. We sell it, but you'd have to catch me on a great day to get me to recommend the APS ST.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why? the aps looks like it brings the most power and is the best complete kit. It would be a daily driver and pretty much the price isnt a problem. i heard of some people puttin new engines like i think RB20s in there cars to :irock:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
why? the aps looks like it brings the most power and is the best complete kit. It would be a daily driver and pretty much the price isnt a problem. i heard of some people puttin new engines like i think RB20s in there cars to :irock:
All turbo kits bring about the same power. It is the most complete, but not as complete as it could be (not a full return fuel system).

I don't like it because APS has shown no indications of the ability to upgrade if you reach the potential of the turbocharger (Turbonetics has and would build one for you today if you asked). Another downside is the clearance of the skid plate regarding being lowered and taking your Z on autocross or road course.

The mounting locations are limited, I really don't like any ST kit available right now, but Turbonetics is the best option IMO. (specifically the tuner kit)

(BTW, to be more specific I really prefer the tuner version of the APS TT kit over the regular version)

RB26DETT, SR20DET, etc. Yes, I know about this, and I don't like this idea either.

The VQ is a great engine, especially once built-up as far as F/I potential, some haven't given it a chance yet. That will change soon as MK4 Supra owners are already starting to take notice. :wink:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't like it because APS has shown no indications of the ability to upgrade if you reach the potential of the turbocharger (Turbonetics has and would build one for you today if you asked). Another downside is the clearance of the skid plate regarding being lowered and taking your Z on autocross or road course.
what? i know im such a newbie :newbie:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Well, there have been accounts of ST owners scraping the plate on a steep driveway from being lowered.

I believe autocrossing (hard cornering combined with hills) while being lowered would cause it to scrape as well.

You understood what I meant by upgrading the turbocharger for more power, correct?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think the problem with a lot of the Forced Induction advice is that not all potential modders are the same, some want the added power to take it on the track, I don't say Autox because it really doesn't help there, and just push the limits in operation and tunning while others just want a safe way to add some power and stay reliable.

Some of the concerns above probably do not apply to the daily driver candidate who just wants the added power but relatively worry free, for me in those cases the APS kits are perfect in that the install and setup are clean and straight forward. As for the potential to add power some of these people will not be looking for 700 RWHP so it is not a factor. But the APS can be taken higher like the others.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I think the problem with a lot of the Forced Induction advice is that not all potential modders are the same, some want the added power to take it on the track, I don't say Autox because it really doesn't help there, and just push the limits in operation and tunning while others just want a safe way to add some power and stay reliable.

Some of the concerns above probably do not apply to the daily driver candidate who just wants the added power but relatively worry free, for me in those cases the APS kits are perfect in that the install and setup are clean and straight forward. As for the potential to add power some of these people will not be looking for 700 RWHP so it is not a factor. But the APS can be taken higher like the others.
I'm referring to the APS ST potential.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
lol um no
The turbocharger used in the APS ST kit has a limit of air flow and air flow efficiency. (as does every other turbocharger made) APS has suggested upgrading the Garrett turbos in their TT kit if you reach the maximum efficiency or maximum airflow and they have actually done this themselves. They have not said anything about this for the ST kit and honestly, I don't think they will (due to the location, I don't think they could fit a more efficient turbocharger in that spot).

Whereas Turbonetics will build you a custom turbocharger to fit, or just modify the one in the Turbonetics ST kit to fit your goals.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The turbocharger used in the APS ST kit has a limit of air flow and air flow efficiency. (as does every other turbocharger made)
Correct, every turbo charger has a limitation in terms of mass air flow at a given pressure ratio (boost level) and the APS ST is specifically designed for around 450 whp. Thereafter I believe that Z car owners are better to consider the APS twin turbo system. I think most single turbo systems for the Z car will be power limited by the size of the exhaust system (down pipe) not by the turbocharger size on the 350 Z application.

Whereas Turbonetics will build you a custom turbocharger to fit, or just modify the one in the Turbonetics ST kit to fit your goals.
That may be true though I believe that you will find that the intercooler and exhaust system (down pipe in particular) will be the true power limiters in this instance. Time will tell for sure. :cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Correct, every turbo charger has a limitation in terms of mass air flow at a given pressure ratio (boost level) and the APS ST is specifically designed for around 450 whp. Thereafter I believe that Z car owners are better to consider the APS twin turbo system. I think most single turbo systems for the Z car will be power limited by the size of the exhaust system (down pipe) not by the turbocharger size on the 350 Z application.
That may be true though I believe that you will find that the intercooler and exhaust system (down pipe in particular) will be the true power limiters in this instance. Time will tell for sure. :cheers:

Peter
I disagree with the downpipe comment, but the intercooler is definitely something that might need to be looked at if you are upgrading the T (as the intercooler they use is fairly small).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Power Enterprise=very responsive good control and power balance
APS+Greddy=HP homerun hitter(gunnin for those supras0

APS ST=what can i say awesome kit for the i want to be fast but not a demon
TN ST=same as Aps just more tunig capabilities(could use some better equipment ie intercooler)

custom kits= do what ever the heck you want

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Power Enterprise=very responsive good control and power balance
APS+Greddy=HP homerun hitter(gunnin for those supras0

APS ST=what can i say awesome kit for the i want to be fast but not a demon
TN ST=same as Aps just more tunig capabilities(could use some better equipment ie intercooler)
custom kits= do what ever the heck you want
Nah, Spearco intercoolers are pretty good quality. Peter was just referring to cooling ability at those power levels.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so turbonetics can build a custom kit that could get like 750hp runing on slightly straighnthened internals. runing on regular fuel and daily driver. like a turbonetics turbo kit with kinetix manifold and aebs internals and an aps exhast with borla headers. Sound good???? :irock:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
ok so turbonetics can build a custom kit that could get like 750hp runing on slightly straighnthened internals. runing on regular fuel and daily driver. like a turbonetics turbo kit with kinetix manifold and aebs internals and an aps exhast with borla headers. Sound good???? :irock:
I don't know if they will build an entire kit or just the turbo, but you would need to address fuel return system, and an engine management system as a reflash will not handle that kind of power, unless the elusive big MAF comes out, but they would definelty have to change their piping so you could fit a bigger radiator to address heat at that power level.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
750hp on "slightly" strengthened internals?? Nothing slight about sleeves, forged everything or the AEBS kit....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts