Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering going FI down the road...but for now i want something that will give me plenty of power and also work out if i decide on going TT. Do you have to have the APS TT kit to put on the APS exhaust?? Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hey Joe,

I have the APS 2.5 exhaust on my N/A Z with Crawford High Flow cats. Sounds goods, and very different in person than the clips that I have heard (of course these clips do not have the Crawford HF cats on)

If you reside in Texas, you are more than welcome to stop by and listen to it in person.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I heard the APS exhaust just the other night in person. That SOB is loud!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I heard the APS exhaust just the other night in person. That SOB is loud!
?????:confused: WHAT?????

I am sure that it comes down to opinion on the matter, but my APS W/ HF cats is NOT loud. It is a little bit louder than stock, and has a great whine to it at full throttle.

Can you provide specifics as to what other parts on that 350Z may have affected the exhaust in any way?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am also looking at the HKS ti td exhaust...compared to the APS, good choice?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Joe,

I have the APS 2.5 exhaust on my N/A Z with Crawford High Flow cats. Sounds goods, and very different in person than the clips that I have heard (of course these clips do not have the Crawford HF cats on)

If you reside in Texas, you are more than welcome to stop by and listen to it in person.

350zlvr is exactly right... his car is not loud' it is perfect (at least to my old ears). With the Crawford high-flow cats and the APS exhaust, it still has much of the 350Z's "signature sound" but with more authority!

I have seen - and heard - both the APS and the HKS... I'm going with the APS!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
350zlvr is exactly right... his car is not loud' it is perfect (at least to my old ears). With the Crawford high-flow cats and the APS exhaust, it still has much of the 350Z's "signature sound" but with more authority!

I have seen - and heard - both the APS and the HKS... I'm going with the APS!
Thanks guys! yeah that setup sounds good, id like to hear a clip if uve got one 350zlvr...this is definetly not the right place to ask this question but while were on the topic...as far as HFC's goes, are crawfords the best?

Joe

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks guys! yeah that setup sounds good, id like to hear a clip if uve got one 350zlvr...this is definetly not the right place to ask this question but while were on the topic...as far as HFC's goes, are crawfords the best?

Joe

Joe,

I had been reading about this stuff (even before I drove over to Dallas to hear Pavel's outstanding set-up), and there have been some posts of Crawford high-flow cats "cracking." Concerned, I telephoned the good folks at Crawford to try to find out the straight skinny.... here's what they said:

There have been a couple of instances of "cracking" when the Crawford cats were used with the NISMO exhaust. Don't know why or even how widespread the problem has been (I suspect not very). They said that there was absolutely no instance of cat failure when teamed up with the APS system.

There, now you know as much about all this as I do!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Rob, thank you for the compliments on my setup. I hope all is well with you and your beautfiul Z :cheers:

Joe, I am sorry, I do not have a clip of my combo. I have found out that exhaust sound clip really do not do most exhausts justice as it would all depend on the microphone used, placement of mic, sound standing still - revving - or driving (very different), etc. etc.

I have been looking at high flow cats for a couple of years prior to choosing the Crawfords, and have heard horror stories from most other brands as opposed to a severly small amount with Crawfords (freak instances). I believe there might be "better" HF cats out there, but for a higher price and just recently introduced. The Crawfords illustrate a deeper tone, no rasp (in most combinations), and proven durability.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if I can be of further help.

Take care, :wavey:
:shiftdrive:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Rob, thank you for the compliments on my setup. I hope all is well with you and your beautfiul Z :cheers:

Joe, I am sorry, I do not have a clip of my combo. I have found out that exhaust sound clip really do not do most exhausts justice as it would all depend on the microphone used, placement of mic, sound standing still - revving - or driving (very different), etc. etc.

I have been looking at high flow cats for a couple of years prior to choosing the Crawfords, and have heard horror stories from most other brands as opposed to a severly small amount with Crawfords (freak instances). I believe there might be "better" HF cats out there, but for a higher price and just recently introduced. The Crawfords illustrate a deeper tone, no rasp (in most combinations), and proven durability.

Not that the crawfords are bad, but they merely use carsound HFC welded into test pipes. Carsounds HFCs are 40-50 bucks each via the internet and I would assume they are getting them cheaper than that if buy in qaunity. For what you are getting, I feel crawfords are overpriced.

you can do your own research on the quality of carsound HFCs (made by magnaflow)

I am not biased either way, but I do run a carsound HFC on my other car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help...Sorry to be annoying with all these questions, but im trying to learn as much as i can...Anyway real quick, i hear the APS exhaust and test pipes on an NA has a loud rasp noise...with the crawford cats, hows the rasp? And would the APS exhaust and crawford cats still be a good choice if i wanted to go with a TT?

Joe

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help...Sorry to be annoying with all these questions, but im trying to learn as much as i can...Anyway real quick, i hear the APS exhaust and test pipes on an NA has a loud rasp noise...with the crawford cats, hows the rasp? And would the APS exhaust and crawford cats still be a good choice if i wanted to go with a TT?

Joe

if you want to do a setup that would be decent for FI. Do this.

Get the aps 2.5" exhaust. KEEP your stock cats. Then replace the cats with test pipes when you get FI. Another option would be to keep your stock exhaust - fully from y-pipe to tips. Replace your stock cats with test pipes and get the catback when you go FI. Either should provide good sound with minimal, if any, rasp - don't beleive the hype about rasp with test pipes and stock exhaust, I have heard numerous cars with that saetup and all sounded good. And both will provide similar power gains.

With a TT setup, you don't want ANY cats. Cats = back pressure and back pressure and turbos don't mix

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Joe
Joe, I do not hear a rasp at all with APS 2.5 and Crawford HFC.

You do not want High Flow Cats when you go turbo. The high flow cats will restrict the setup too much. Test pipes or "downpipes" would be the optimal and mostly used choice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe, I do not hear a rasp at all with APS 2.5 and Crawford HFC.

You do not want High Flow Cats when you go turbo. The high flow cats will restrict the setup too much. Test pipes or "downpipes" would be the optimal and mostly used choice.
yeah i figured that...but a TT would be way down the line so i think the cats are a great choice for now...do you guys know a site that has the crawfords for a decent price??

Joe

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
yeah i figured that...but a TT would be way down the line so i think the cats are a great choice for now...do you guys know a site that has the crawfords for a decent price??

Joe
Yeah, www.crawfordz.com :)

you may most likely find them for a cheaper price elsewhere used, but brand new, Crawford was the cheapest distributor that I found.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts