Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if I had these 3 items installed would I be able to run without getting a new ECU flashed?

I'm sure it would be better, but if I didn't would I be bound for disaster?

Any and all input please! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'd be fine. A lot of people on this forum have similar mods w/o reflash.

IMO, the current reflash is kinda pricy for what ya get. Not really worth it, and overpriced - kinda like every single mod for the z.. lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Bogart@Dec 21 2004, 05:38 PM
So if I had these 3 items installed would I be able to run without getting a new ECU flashed? 

I'm sure it would be better, but if I didn't would I be bound for disaster?

Any and all input please!  Thanks!

IMO, the current reflash is kinda pricy for what ya get. Not really worth it, and overpriced - kinda like every single mod for the z.. lol
I hear ya there! I'm trying to stretch what money I have left after buying my wheels so I'm kind of limited until next spring. There are so many things I want to get but so little money to buy them with.

I wasn't real sure when the ECU upgrade would be required. I've heard so many different opinions it seems like you can never get a sure answer. Thanks for the info JP! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I don't think you'll need a reflash at all. From what I understand, those mods just change your AFR and your ECU will adjust to it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Actually the A/F will need some Tweaking for optimal perfomance once you open up the airflow on the Z. We like the UNI-CHIP from Dastek which has a plug n play ECM harness and installs with ease and removes like it was never there..We used a similar tuning device and saw 34 hp gains in the power band and like 18 peak...What most people do not realize is when manufactureres claim "PEAK" hp they seldom refer to how much it gains in the whole RPM range..Remember 10 hp @5000 rpms is more noticable than 20hp at redline...
So you will in fact need a way to add a little more fuel after leaning out the mixture with these mods..ALthough N/A engines are a bit more forgiving when it comes to running lean opposed to F/I engines..We can get you all the above items and the Uni-chip with a base map for exhaust and plenum...The uni-chip is around $900 installed and by far would prove to be the most useful mod you can do..As far as exhuasts you might as well save for headers at the same time for optimal performance.. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Julian, can I assume that the Uni-chip is a permanent install? What I mean is that once you plug it in, does it stay with the car for optimal performance, or is it just something you plug in and use to reprogram the ECU?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Dec 22 2004, 07:26 AM
Julian, can I assume that the Uni-chip is a permanent install?  What I mean is that once you plug it in, does it stay with the car for optimal performance, or is it just something you plug in and use to reprogram the ECU?

Its a piggyback ECM unit that stays in the car,and is reprogramable.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
So as long as you have the uni-chip, one could continue to mod the Z and also reprogram it for optimal performance? If so, that sounds like a good investment for any mod-hungry enthusiast.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Dec 22 2004, 07:38 AM
So as long as you have the uni-chip, one could continue to mod the Z and also reprogram it for optimal performance?  If so, that sounds like a good investment for any mod-hungry enthusiast.

:stupid: Good question, is it programmable from like, inside the car? Hows it work?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by Jetpilot718+Dec 22 2004, 01:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SmoothZ
@Dec 22 2004, 07:38 AM
So as long as you have the uni-chip, one could continue to mod the Z and also reprogram it for optimal performance?  If so, that sounds like a good investment for any mod-hungry enthusiast.

:stupid: Good question, is it programmable from like, inside the car? Hows it work?

It is reprogramable by an authorized Uni-chip dealer..Like us.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Julian for clearing that up. Sounds like the UNI is def the way to go. Now I assume that by adding the plenum to the mixture, that would probably be the main reason you would want to up the fuel since you in theory and I guess by testing that the APS plenum allows more air in which in turn requires more fuel. So if I were to wait on the plenum and just go with the exhaust and pipes I wouldn't necessarily need the UNI right away?

I'm limited on what I can spend, I'm wanting the clutch and flywheel so the UNI is out of the question at this time. I want to atleast get the exhaust and pipes if possible along with the clutch and flywheel. If need be I'll get the plenum and UNI at one time if I don't need it now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, one more thing....you said the chip is programable by a certified dealer, now is it similar to the TS ECU that you can send it in to be programed or does it have to be hooked up to the car in order to program. I would assume being a plug n play and permanent install you would have to have it in the car but not sure.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Originally posted by Bogart@Dec 22 2004, 04:44 PM
Oh, one more thing....you said the chip is programable by a certified dealer, now is it similar to the TS ECU that you can send it in to be  programed or does it have to be hooked up to the car in order to program.  I would assume being a plug n play and permanent install you would have to have it in the car but not sure.

can be tuned right in the car via cable connection...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts