Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory Exahust:

APS 2.5 Inch True Dual Exhaust System:

First off, let me start off by saying that the quality of this system is one of the best out there. Both of the exhaust shops that I visited stated that they have yet to see a perfect exhaust system that fits without error. After the completion of installation, the owner told me that this was the first system to fit perfectly - not 99.9%, but 100%. Impressive!!!

Due to the cats, install took longer and cost $250 as oppossed to the originally quoted price of $90-$140. Started at 8:00 A.M. and left the shop at 11:30 A.M. Currently, my only performance mods include this setup with stock headers, and an AEM CAI.

Sound and Driving Impressions

The sound is a very deep and throaty growl, and is definitely louder (boomier than stock), but not that it becomes obnoxious. One of the most imnportant factors that I was concerned about was the presence of raspiness, which is not at all apparent :irock: . I am still trying to get used to the sound at different RPMs and speeds, so I will have to post my impressions about this factor later.

Driving experience - I am not pushing it too much right now due to the ECU still adjusting to the new mods, but I do feel an increase in low and medium torque. Thusfar, I punched the car once in second, and it felt like I had less power up top; however, I see this directly as a factor of the ECU adjusting, and will post more about driving impressions at a later date once the ECU settles down.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Is the system any lighter than stock?

Is that a Hotchkis swaybar I see?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the system any lighter than stock?

Is that a Hotchkis swaybar I see?
Dave, yes sir, you do see Hotchkis sway bars :biggrin:

As far as weight, the resonator felt heavier, and the cats felt lighter than stock. If there is any weight difference from stock, it feels like it could be minimal.

I am going to :shiftdrive: , but will check back shortly to answer any questions.

BTW, how can I host sound or video clips????

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Dave, yes sir, you do see Hotchkis sway bars :biggrin:

As far as weight, the resonator felt heavier, and the cats felt lighter than stock. If there is any weight difference from stock, it feels like it could be minimal.

I am going to :shiftdrive: , but will check back shortly to answer any questions.

BTW, how can I host sound or video clips????
Hehe...the reason I asked about the swaybar is because of the statement you made about performance mods. I consider the suspension to be performance related, but that's me. :wink:

As for hosting clips, ask Josh/Toykilla about that. I think there's a way to do it on this site.

Have fun :shiftdrive: and be careful.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave you are 100% correct about swaybars being performance modifications. Please allow me to re-phrase - "go fast mods" :biggrin:.

Just came back from driving her around, and I must say that now that the ECU has adjusted for the mods, the Z definitely feels faster all the way around. I did a few second gear open throttle runs, and she rips to redline even stronger now. Low end and medium torque has also increased quite a bit. I gotta get her on a dyno soon!!!

I think the sound is still growing on me, but I have always been in love :wub: with the sound of our factory exhaust systems. Even though I miss it now, I'm sure that with time, I will learn to let go and love the APS sound.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pavel... Is your car FI or NA? I have been considering the APS 2/5" exhaust (or the NISMO) for my car (which is NA and will stay that way).

Take care!
Rob
Hursrt, Texas
Rob, my car is N/A. There is an enormous difference between both of the mentioned exhausts. Mostly, Y-pipe versus a true dual design.

As far as sound is concerned, I work in Addison, which is closer to hurst than Plano, so if you work nearby you are free to stop by and listen to the APS with H-F cats in person. I have heard a Nismo exhaust before, and these two sound very different, especially with the cats on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Patel,

Thanks for your kind offer! I am to visit an old friend of mine over in your area (Addison) sometime after the 15th... maybe we could set up a meeting.

I can't find a "Private Message" link in this forum (am I missing something?)... like there is in the My350Z.com forum. It would be helpful in setting up a meeting.

Have a good evening... and stay warm!

Rob

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Rob - to use the PM function, simply click on the username of the person you want to PM. This will take you to a page that will indicate the various methods you can utilise to communicate with that person, including PM.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rob - to use the PM function, simply click on the username of the person you want to PM. This will take you to a page that will indicate the various methods you can utilise to communicate with that person, including PM.
Or just click on the down arrow right by the member name.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm so on the fence on buying this exhaust. When are you getting it dynoed? Did you ever get a baseline?

Are you still liking the sound? And how can you describe it?
I never did get a baseline dyno, and have not dynoed it. I am planning on the first week or so of January (place nearby is going to host dyno day).

The sound has actually grown on me. Do not forget that I have the Crawford Cats, and these have been reported to change the sound characteristics considerably.

With the entire package installed, the car sounds mean, deep, racey when pushed, and overall medium to low loudness. I find my exhaust setup to be a margin louder than stock under normal driving, and under full acceleration, it sounds great in terms of perfect loudness and racey tone. When I say racey, I do not mean "Civic Racey" but rather a race-tuned V6 sound.

I loved our stock exhaust sound, and so it has been very hard for me to adjust to another sound. This exhaust has grown on me, and I think it is mostly due to hearing it under heavy load.

This exhaust is not the cheapest out there, but you get what you pay for. The fit and finish are top notch, while the tone, IMO, is not world dominating yet very far from acoustically challenged.

Z-ME-GO (Rob) will be sampling my exhaust setup tomorrow, so hopefully he can offer his opinion as well :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
From the looks of this exhaust it looks like it flows really well. I wonder what kind of gains it puts out for NA cars. I have not seen any before/after dynos for this car. I guess if I get the exhaust I'll be the first to find out since I already have a baseline. My other choice is the HKS exhaust where I have seen dyno's as much as 12 HP/9 TQ. If the APS could put down some numbers like that I'd be happy.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can tell you that with the exhaust and cats I noticed an increase in low, mid, and high RPMs. Every person that has driven in my car before and has felt full flat out acceleration has also noticed a difference in pull.

I just cannot say anything for the exhaust as I am not sure how much gains just the exhaust is yielding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts