Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in mid-Missouri. I would like to know where some good circuit race tracks are that are within driving distance (for a few hours on the road). I have checked out the track locator, but all there is, is a bunch of drag strips or go-cart tracks.

Any advice would help, and sorry for the noob question.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Smooth!

I have some sifting to do....

I gotta find somewhere to race legally!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man... Someone needs to buy a huge part of land in the middle of missouri, make drag, road, circle, and a flat section for drifting. They would make a killing. we don't really have any tracks around here. (except drag) If I could afford to get it started, permits, insurance, etc. I would do it in a heartbeat. :banghead:

·
Registered
248 Posts
What ever happend to Mid America Raceway, in Wentzville?

OK, I see it closed to Road Racing in 1984.... :banghead:

I was there in the mid '70's with my GP Spitfire. Sadly, on my drive to tech, I lost oil presure......

Can you say don't drink a 12 pack with a friend when assembling a bottom end?

I think there is a Road Course near East St. Louis. Not TOOOOOOO far away is Putnam, Blackhawk Frams, Road America. and the Autobahn Country Club. And a new track in Iowa, who's name I forget.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, Gateway is local, but the track sucks, nothing compared to Autobahn, Putnam, RA, BHF, HPT, or even Hallett. MAR closed down a few years ago, I took my 77 Firebird there when I was 17, about 15 years ago. I heard they closed down for legal reasons, couldn't pay so there's now a subdivision on top of it, sucks.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
The MAR track closed I think last year b/c the residents complained too loudly or something like that. Sucks major b/c that one was **** close to home.
The bad part about that was -- all gravel to drive on, and the 1/4 mile had a bit of a hump in it. When standing at the tree, you couldn't see them cross the line there was such a slope!! :eek:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Speaking of Mid America Raceways, here is a pic I have of an SCCA race taken in 1978 I think.

[attachment=19748:MAR__2_.jpg]

This was taken on the main straight from the pit side of the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
And after searching my hard drive, I found this aerial picture of the MAR racetrack. I believe this was a picture taken by the St Louis Region of the SCCA.

[attachment=19749:Copy_of_...8x10__2_.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Man... Someone needs to buy a huge part of land in the middle of missouri, make drag, road, circle, and a flat section for drifting. They would make a killing. we don't really have any tracks around here. (except drag) If I could afford to get it started, permits, insurance, etc. I would do it in a heartbeat. :banghead:
Funny, someone did "something" like that in CA...they called it "Fontana"....;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
MAR is actually right next to my house. I used to hear it on weekends and as a matter of fact one of my good friend's gradpa owned the place. It was a family owned business and they said that in order to keep the race track they would have to install a huge sound deading fence. with all the upkeep and adding a very expensive wall I guess the old guy said f' it and sold it. I dont blame him though, I would deffinately take a few million.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Typical midwest suburbia, a bunch of minivan driving idiots build homes around a race track......and then bitch about noise, brilliant.
I couldn't agree more! Many tracks fell under this same sh*t. I know Meadowdale & Riverside closed for this reason. I'm sure there are many others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah. people are stupid. "hey lets build our house right across the street from a racetrack. that would be cool." two weeks later "well its kinda noisy... lets bitch about it"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts