Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tyres will need to be replaced in a month or two so I stated looking around for new rear tyres. I noticed that they can be bought really cheap in the USA so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about buying tyres from US? I'm wondering if anyone knows how much it'll cost to ship them here and also how much in duties one needs to pay? The tyres weight about 12kg each and and the moment cost US$197 per tyre.

Also if you have bought the tyres from the States, then where did you get them from? ... the US$197 price is from tirerack.com.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I know a guy who can ship them for around US$200 for a set of 4 (as far as I recall). If you want I'll give you his contact, he'll match just about any price for you, on any tire you choose.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Nuff, sure send me the details and I'll see what he can do. Also do you know if that fee includes the duties (if there are any)?

ps. I'm also asking tirerack the same thing as the tyre pice was direclty from their site.

·
Registered
562 Posts
No it doesn't include duties, but with FTA with USA it should be a lot less hassle now then before. Also the tires can be undervalued by the person who sends them :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not sure if there was duty on software before but i purchased a package worth over the 250USD "limit" and got no duty on it at all.

Are they just getting more relaxed or has duty been dropped on certain items?

Even the Koni shocks came in without duty. And they were 700USD!

·
Registered
562 Posts
With the FTA we don't pay duty for products made in USA, but we pay for others. I think they are getting more relaxed on things coming in from USA.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard back rfom tirerack and US$210.30 is the best quoute on shipping 2 tyres that they gave me. US$342 is the most expensive one.

Even US$105 per tyre is pretty speed IMHO so i'm contacting Nuff's contact and see if it's any better. Roughly US$100 (or less) is what I'm hoping for ... even if they take a month or two to arrive.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the cost for shippingr 4 tyres from the States is not too bad. Looks like they can deliver 4 tyres to my doorsteps for US$217 which will still make the purchase very much acceptable. (ie. US$788 for tyres + US$217 for delivery = US$1005 all up).

So I just need to figure out with what duties I can be slapped with when it lands here ... any idea where I can look that up?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Duties and Tax would be 30%. If it's made in USA to my understanding there would be no duties.

It also depends if the person/company is willing to declare lower value for the tires. If it is and customs doesn't check the real value you'll either pay no duties or very little. You could also get them to mark it as a warranty replacement. No duties on that. It doesn't mean that you'll not pay duties, but you are less likely to.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I found out from the customs that there would be a 10% duty on the tyres (and shipping), and then another 10% on top of that which is GST. That means that the coust will ballon to US$1216 or so. That's about A$1645 before fitting/balancing, the custom 'cost recovery change', and also the banks conversion charge. Fitting/balancing of 4 tyres is A$60, the bank charges would be about A$20, and I'm not sure about the customs 'recovery costs'. Though, it looks one should be able to get away for the lot for A$1750 ... not exactly cheap as I hoped as that is almost A$440 per tyre. Really good price for ContiSport2 if that is what you want as here they cost about $550 per tyre, but not really cheap if you're looking for an 'affordable' tyre.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DavidM - why are you leaning towards the CS2 rubber?

They are by far the best tyres that money can buy (IMHO). I don't think there is a road tyre that offers anywhere that amount of grip in dry or wet, and even more so when a little bit worn down. Give money-no-object, ContiSport2 are the tyres I'd fit to the car.

They are to S03s (and P-Zeros) what S03s are to what comes stock on the regular Commodores/Fords.

ps. Got them at the moment on the HSV as well as CV8-R, and before they were wearing P-Zero Rossos, S03s, RE040s and S02s.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Its always good to have first hand experience with the tyres before commiting to a purchase. Luckily for you, your family is into performance cars nd you can draw from their experiences when it comes to tyre choices.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its always good to have first hand experience with the tyres before commiting to a purchase.

Yeah, it comes in handy ... also I watch closely what my fiiends have got on theyr cars and see what they have to say about it (and drive it myself whenever possible).

Though, I'll probably going with something cheaper when it comes down to replacing my RE040s as I already have a set of RE55s for the track. For the road I'll settle for some good 'medium range' tyres that are cheaper.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Kumho MX are preaty good, but they don't carry them in australia any more. Cheap with lots of grip.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Koren Tyres? :D

I'm not too fused about where they are made, as long as I have some knowledge of them in terms of grip. Though, the tyres on the list could be:
- Falken FK451
- Falken ST115
- Kumho KU19
- Toyo Proxies TS1
- Yokohama ES100
- Yokohama AVS
- Bridgestone S03

They ar ethe ones that I can think of the top of my head that come in the 245/45/18 size. If anyone knows any others then please let me know. I do know that ContiSport2, PilotSport2 and Pzero-Rossos come in that size, but they are just too expensive to consider for my needs. That is except for importing the them from States which would land them here fitted onto your car for about $450/tyre. Though, I'm hoping to get something for $300 - $380 per tyre, and $300 would be preferable (of course).

I would have even looked at the Maxxis MA-Z1 but they don;t come in that size.

Kumho MX are preaty good

If they came in 245/45/18 then they would have been on top of my list of the tyres I'd give a shot. I've heard positive things about them. Shame that they don't come in that size :-(

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've been thinking about using kumho mx 245/40/18 on all 4 wheels, it's fine for the front, but it's illegal in NSW in the rear because of the size difference. Also I would have to drive with VDC off all the time.

You might also look into BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2, it's getting quiet good reviews from M3 owners who use Pilot Sports as their OEM tire. Also Yokohama AVS ES100 comes in the size you want and it's cheaper then ContiSport2, at least on tirerack.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been thinking about using kumho mx 245/40/18 on all 4 wheels

If I was going to replace all 4 tyres then I'd certainly consider it as on my spare wheels I have 245/40/18s all around. Though, my front tyres are going to make at least another 10 - 15k km and I don't want to have the 45 profiles at the front and 40 profile at the back for that time.

You might also look into BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2

I wonder if it comes in 245/45/18 size? Though, I'll look into is as a friend of mine had BFGoodrich G'force Profiler on his S15 200SX before the current S03s. The BFGoodrich tyres were great while the S03s that he's got went crap once they hit about 10,000km.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I read a bit about the BFG's. The KDW 2's are a good all around dry and wet weather tyre. If you were just concerned with dry weather grip, then the KD's (no W for Wet) are supposed to be awesome in the dry.
Don't know what size they are available in Aust though (nor US).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts