Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts
Cool, 14th is good. So are we meeting at the front of Calder? or somewhere else?

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Any word back from Matty about the 14th yet?

I just heard from him today, but he's had no luck contacting the folk at Calder as they are on holidays ('till 10th I pressume). He passed on the contact details onto me and I'll try and contact them on Monday. Will keep you guys posted about the in-field.

David, I have a set of four simi slick tyres 255/40/17 with 17" enki rims (x4) to put onto our car (rear) for that day, Maybe that's good for DavidC to get some good times. But the problem is how can I bring them to Calder?

Discussion starter · #45 ·
David, I have a set of four simi slick tyres 255/40/17 with 17" enki rims (x4) to put onto our car (rear) for that day

Well one option is to bring only 2 tyres ... afterall, having them at the front will make no difference. I'd guess that one could fit 2 wheels/tyres into a Zed ... one on a passanger seat and the other in the boot (maybe instead of the spare)?

Other option is get some one to cary one wheel/tyre and you can carry the other one.

Maybe that's good for DavidC to get some good times. But the problem is how can I bring them to Calder?

Hopefully DavidC will chime in, whether he's interested in the sticky tyres, but personaly I consider the times achieved with them irrelevant. The times achieved with these can really be only compared with other cars/times on sticky tyres, and not road tyres. So if you use sticky tyres then you loose all reference to whether the time you're achiveing is good or bad. ie. there was a practically stock 350Z doing 13.1sec passes in the States on sticky tyres ... 13.1sec sounds awesome, but whether that is good or not I don't know. I'd say that this car was no quicker then any other stock(ish) 350Z despite what the times may look like. You can't compare that 13.1sec pass to (lets say) an M3 which managed mid 13s and say that the 350Z was quicker as the M3 with the same tyres might deliver a mid 12sec pass.

Me, I'd rather stick to road tyres and get some times which I can then compare to other Zeds and cars. Save the sticky tyres for the track where at least 1/2 the other cars are onthe same tyres. Also I know what they are worth on the track (ie. ~2sec at Winton), but what are they worth on a grag-strip ... 1sec?

ps. I pressume that you used these tyres on the drag-strip with the GTR ... right? What times did you manage with normal tyres?

When i use the stock road tyres on my GTR before any modification, I got 12.4. When I drag my GTR with this tyres even with 130+extra kw@ wheels = 330kw@ 4 wheels, I got block down when launch. It seems actrually slower with these tyres. And it is very hard to handle on the Normal Australia road too, specially in the Prince HWY. I m thinking of changing all to road tyres once I finished them. or store them in the garage for later track use. How much to put the tyre on and off the rims? And is it common to do that?

I agree with DavidM - try running with stock raod tyres so you know exactly how quick your Z is against other cars that you encounter on the road.

BTW, 12.4s seems extrodinary for a stock GTR with stock tyres????
I thought that a stock R33 GTR would do low 13s passes without any mods.

well, maybe mine is N1, the Stock turbos on mine seems/was bigger than the other normal GTR (when I change my turbos), and before I purchased mine GTR, I acturally test drive 20+ others GTR 32s and 33s before I making the decesion and I feel the one I bought was much quicker than the others. for the 12.4 pass, with 1.6sec 60ft, the boost on mine was 1bar(taken out the nissan restrictor on the boost line) airfilter and exhaust of cos, I shouldn't said is stock as rock. I acturally got a vedio on the 11.7 pass, but the file is 2.1gb avi, don't know how to compass it to a small file. Try windows movie maker, but the quality was crap.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
r the 12.4 pass, with 1.6sec 60ft

That is an incredible 60' time. If we could run 1.6sec 60' times in the 350Z then we'd be probably running high 12sec passes ... and that is with the power/weight remaining more or less stock. Tunned WRXs on sticky tyres dream about 1.6sec passes .... very few who have managed that.

When I drag my GTR with this tyres even with 130+extra kw@ wheels = 330kw@ 4 wheels, I got block down when launch. It seems actrually slower with these tyres.

That's interesting ... were you droping the clutch freom (somewhere around) redline? That's what the WRX guys do and they spin all 4 wheels off the line with the sticky tyres ... though, these guys have around 200kW at the wheels. Still a lot less than you do.

How much to put the tyre on and off the rims? And is it common to do that?

Yeah, I used to do that ... you'll be able to leave your original rims at the tyre place and it'll cost you around $60 to swap the tyres/wheels 2x. At least that's what I remember, but I have not done that for well over 5 years.

I m very sure is 1.6 sec with the stock tyres, I used to drag with some other guys before in the private road. GTR usually kills wrx and evo in the first gear even with stock tyres. and if the clutch is good.

for the slick tyres, yeah, I acturally droping the clutch at 8000rpm, but with the slicky tyres the car just block, at the moment the tune on my GTR is suck, I feel the bottom end is lossing power compare to before. I m going to change the managment system to Motec M600 soon, and hopefully get a better times and fuel economy.

And yes, today talk with DavidC, i saw his car, it looks great, we may thinking of bring along the slicky tyres with us in the wagon for the day and see.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
I m very sure is 1.6 sec with the stock tyres

Sorry, I was not questioning your time ... it is an incredible 60' time, but far from impossible in particular in a 4WD car. I was more surprised that you could not spin the R-spec tyres with a 8000rpm clutch-drop.

Thanks for the explanation LemanZ. Great 60' time and great 1/4 time also. I expected at least an intake and exhaust and chip to get that time as just those mods alone will get you to low 12's and maybe just into the 11's. Very nice indeed.
BTW, it will be interesting to see what times DavidC gets with his TT Z. If he's running approx 7bar boost, then I would expect mid 12s passes.

Best of luck to all at Calder next week.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
OK guys, its all happening. I spoke to Calder and we are getting the in-field parking and even the entry fee discount. I need to form a 'door list' for all the people thinking about coming as without it you won't get onto the in-field as people on the list will get a special number that will let them to the in-field parking. Also this will make your entry fee $45 (and $10 for any spectators with you).

So can everyone interested PM me with your name so that I can add it to the list. Feel free to invite other poeple as we can add them to the list as well. So far I have Daniel, Gary and DavidC and me (and my friends) on the list.

ps. If you guys are organized in a BBQ (or something) there then can you guys arganize it? LemanZ, do you still want to do that? I can't remember if they have BBQ facilities there or whether we'd need to bring something ... anyone knows? If not, I'll call Calder and ask.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
I haven't heard from anyone, so I pressume that nothig has changed. Though, are we going to have a BBQ (or something of that sort) or not? Is someone willing to organize it? I don't mind bringing some stuff (ie. drinks) as long as someone else is bringing the rest of the stuff.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Is the rest of the NDSCOC invited?

Anyone is invited ;-) So if you know someone else who wants to come, just let me know and I'll put them on the list.

Though this is not an official NDSOC event as it's realy just organized by us so I'm not sure how many NDSOC members actually know about this ... I have only one HDSCOC on the list. If you know how to let them know then pelase do, but I need to fax the door-list by the end of tomorrow (ie. Thursday).

Discussion starter · #59 ·
I have a few extra bodies coming (spectators)will pm you with the list some time tomorrow.

Hi Dave, I have not received a PM from you yet (ie. the names). I need to fax of the list before the end of the work-day today.

Have organised a BBQ, so bring something to slap on it guys lets enjoy the night.

Sounds good, I'll bring a few bottles of soft-drinks ... does anyone have any preferences what they should be? Also what time is everyone getting there?

ps. As it is, it looks like we'll have about 10 people there and couple of those will be just spectators.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
OK, we have 15 people on the list and 1/2 of them are spectators. I'm planning to get there around 6pm so should be fun.

If someone has a portable video camera, then can you bring it as it shold make for some nice foorage considering that we should have pretty godd light untill 9pm or so. Getting some of the run, burnouts and launches on tape would be aweesome.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.