Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've added several engine modifications since I bought my ZR in August. In retrospect, I wish I had dyno'ed the car prior to making my these mods.

Well, I have to admit being somewhat disappointed last Friday. I went in to AAM to have the new clutch and flywheel installed. After the install, I had them dyno my car. 255 whp?!?

David told me that gas companies "winterize" their gasoline and these additives reduce overall engine performance.

Maybe it's me, but I thought I'd be putting a little more to the wheel.

Any thoughts?

I'll post the dyno sheet tonight.

FYI - in the interest of full disclosure, I had the original cats on, not the test pipes. But my guess is that they would only add another 5 or so HP.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that Chris (IllZ33) has dyno'd his NA Z! :lol: I am sure many others have too....I think Dave (SmoothZ) has as well.....
Thanks...

I'd love to see their whp numbers and mods.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that Chris (IllZ33) has dyno'd his NA Z! :lol: I am sure many others have too....I think Dave (SmoothZ) has as well.....
By the way, are you going to get any of the snow that's coming?

We're expecting 3-5 inches in Baltimore.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
i dyno'd around 249whp.

http://www.fairladyz33.com/mods <- for mods

What size wheels and tires? This all makes a difference. If I put my 17" wheels back on I'd see probably 260whp, imo.

a dyno is a dyno is a dyno. They are just numbers.. don't be too disappointed with them. Tell you what. If you want higher numbers. Go to another dyno. And then if they aren't high enough, go to another dyno. :) Get the picture? :)

I think I had about 1300 miles on my Z when I dyno'd it. I will be back again soon for special service. I'll do another dyno before we start bolting things on. :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:wavey: Terri!

I dynoed my car in the dead of winter. I still remember the temp outside being close to zero degrees.

At the time of the dyno, I had Helix test pipes, 5 wire ground kit, JWT intake, and the polished intake tube. On the third pull, I reached 251 hp and torque. I don't think the winter gas was that bad. I also had 18" wheels.

I don't think 255 is a bad number at all. I'd like to do another dyno to see how much the Crawford plenum has done to my Z.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dyno'd around 249whp.

http://www.fairladyz33.com/mods <- for mods
What size wheels and tires? This all makes a difference. If I put my 17" wheels back on I'd see probably 260whp, imo.
a dyno is a dyno is a dyno. They are just numbers.. don't be too disappointed with them. Tell you what. If you want higher numbers. Go to another dyno. And then if they aren't high enough, go to another dyno. :) Get the picture? :)
I think I had about 1300 miles on my Z when I dyno'd it. I will be back again soon for special service. I'll do another dyno before we start bolting things on. :)
I only have the stock 18" setup (225/45F 245/45R).

Mike is starting to work with UTEC systems. I think that will be my next upgrade. I still think there is a lot of room for improvement and I think it's in the tuning. I'd love to get 300whp NA. Anyone ever seen this?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
There's more room for improvement through more tuning and parts. If you did cams and some headwork or higher compression pistons it would be easier to achieve 300whp.

Some Japanese tuners are getting up to 340ps (bhp/crank hp) It just takes $$$ to get more out (of course).

Mike at AAM is cool to work with. You have to remember that he is tuning it for reliable power.. He could easily get 20whp out of your current tune if you really wanted it.

Don't forget.. A dyno is just a dyno.. It trys to simulate the real world. That's why I prefer tuning for the street AFTER dyno tuning. It's really the best way since you don't drive on dynometers all day long. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's more room for improvement through more tuning and parts. If you did cams and some headwork or higher compression pistons it would be easier to achieve 300whp.

Some Japanese tuners are getting up to 340ps (bhp/crank hp) It just takes $$$ to get more out (of course).

Mike at AAM is cool to work with. You have to remember that he is tuning it for reliable power.. He could easily get 20whp out of your current tune if you really wanted it.

Don't forget.. A dyno is just a dyno.. It trys to simulate the real world. That's why I prefer tuning for the street AFTER dyno tuning. It's really the best way since you don't drive on dynometers all day long. :)
Thanks, as usual!

I'm definitely going FI. I just wanted to see if, within reason, I could achieve 300whp.

I'm like a kid in a candy shop everytime I visit AAM. I get the impression that AAM wants into the BIG HP 350Z arena. Mike was building a 3" custom angled true dual exhaust for his car while I was there. And words like "prototype fuel pumps", "new AAM fuel return system" were being tossed around.

Let see:

more fuel and faster exhaust emissions = BIG HP expectations.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) anytime man.

good to hear about the new AAM fuel return system. Wonder what kind of changes to that bad boy. :ahhh:
No clue based on their previous work, I'm sure it will be good. I hope they have it ready to go come this spring, when I plan to go FI.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
well, I am in australia and dynoed my z on different dyno system here (20 to 25% drivetrain loss)... with the mods I have before this current engine rebuild, I gained around 55rwHP... so the mods are shown in my sig. excluding the pistons, rods, valvetrain and head works... :)

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
585 Posts
The best way to compare dyno numbers is having a dyno day and compare your car to other Z's

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10509

I figured i'd post this quote from Shawn Church himself so the dynpack haters could be quiet for a sec :)

The graph says flywheel no matter whether you apply a transmission correction or not. Dynapack's idea of a transmission correction is a straight percentage. This is applied through the transmission correction factor, or "TCF". Note the box at the bottom of the printout. It says "TCF 1.00". This indicates that no correction was applied. If the TCF was 1.15, then a 15% correction factor would be applied.

At Church Automotive Testing we do not use a TCF other than 1.0 unless specifically requested by a customer (even then we don't like to because it can be used to mislead people).

In our experience, a RWD car loses about 30-35 hp from flywheel to hubs on our dyno. This has been very consistent. FWD cars are in the 25 hp range.

A stock 287 hp Z puts down 255 hp +/- a few on our Dynapack. The 296 put down by RickDogg is a full 40 hp above the average. It is also higher than a E46 M3 with an aftermarket exhaust. It is a full 25+hp above the new 298-300 hp VQ motors.

Shawn Church

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
238.5 RWHP
237 TQ
2006 5AT
JWT Popcharger
about 70 degrees
25 ft. above sea level
That's about right. Not bad for an auto. :clap: They usually register lower numbers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts