Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys....... i was wondering if anyone here was considering of buying a c6 or like the looks of it. i think its about time corvette got rid of those nasty pop up lights.... i like the new lights they look like something from a moderna...... It also makes some sweet power plus the interior on the old one was kinda tacky but thats just my $ 0.02

Talkin about vettes my dad has a 75 stingray in the process of being restored i will post pics later when the snow is gone...

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
i dont know.. vettes are pretty fast these days... but i still cannot get over american quality .. i know thats bad to say but its true....

yes the nissan z has had its fair share of issues.. but still.. its a first year model..

also.. american interiors are just plain ugly..

i would imagine the vette will kick ass though..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Z is gone the second I can afford the C6... As long as I can get good resale and free college tuition that is :D It seems like i'd hvae enough money as soon as i'm ready to transfer, which would be ghey cuz I'd be broke as a joke after that!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I like the C6, but I am very negative on American cars generally. One thing is for sure. A C5 or a C6 can whip a 350Z without breaking a sweat.

Actually, I am considering the Lotus Elise as my next car. Whether I have to trade in the Z or am able to keep it too, only time (and this December's year-end bonus amount) will tell. Before I take the leap, I'm sure I will test drive both the Elise and the C6, and then decide.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I like the C6, especially with a targa top, but I like the C5 a lot better. The new headlights just don't look right on a new Vette. Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking car, it just doesn't look Vette enough for me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Jan 27 2004, 08:14 PM
I like the C6, but I am very negative on American cars generally.  One thing is for sure.  A C5 or a C6 can whip a 350Z without breaking a sweat.

Actually, I am considering the Lotus Elise as my next car.  Whether I have to trade in the Z or am able to keep it too, only time (and this December's year-end bonus amount) will tell.  Before I take the leap, I'm sure I will test drive both the Elise and the C6, and then decide.

Richard,
I can see the Elise as a second car, but it is going to be very small. Are you going to ditch the Z for it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
As much as I'd like a C6 beast (or a Z06 for that matter), it's not a feasible option for me as I need to buy a house eventually. Not to mention that I really need to buy a truck and trailer so that I can convert my Z to a track-only car...

need . . . more . . . money . . .

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm kinda pissed off with the look of the new vette. It looks like they stole the headlights and side gills (or whatever those vent things behind the front wheels are) right off the 1st Gen Viper. I love the viper, but I don't be reminded of it when I'm looking a vette. It's like sacrilidge or something.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Actually, i mispoke. The headlights look the first gen viper and the gills look like the ones on the latest viper.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
gdojr -

The 350Z is not my daily driver. I got a new Audi S4 last December that I drive to work most of the time.

So the question is really whether I want to trade the Z in on a Lotus Elise, or do something really insane and get into debt on 3 cars. I have enough money in my S4 and modded Z put together that I could almost have affored Porsche GT3, which blows the doors off almost anything that costs less than $150,000.

Choices, choices . . .

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I like the C6. Don't know if I'd get rid of the Z, though. I have to agree about the old headlights - that was really the biggest hangup for me. I like the new flush-mounted ones better.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Apr 30 2004, 07:05 PM
So the question is really whether I want to trade the Z in on a Lotus Elise, or do something really insane and get into debt on 3 cars.

Richard,
When the Elise is availabe and you get to the point where you are hitting the dealers to test drive...take your camera. I would like to hear what you think about it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My friend James has one on order, and had the opportunity to drive one last autumn. Here's his writeup on my350z.com: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php...highlight=elise

A couple of weeks ago I bought the November issue of Road & Track, because it has a couple of articles about the Z in it.

But the cover story is this article, about "arguably the most exciting sports car in the world to drive," the new U.S. spec Lotus Elise.

So last week I dropped in on my local Lotus dealer. The sales rep said interest has been unbelievable. The cars will be delivered starting next May, the 30 Lotus dealers in the U.S. will get a total of 3,000 cars, and he was taking refundable, non-transferable, non-sellable $500 deposits. They expect the price to be around $40,000, and he already has more than 80 people in line, and expects to pass 100 this week. (Anyone who places a deposit and doesn't get a car under the 2004 allottment will have to wait until the 2005 cars come out.)

Today I took a test drive in a left-hand-drive Lotus 111, which is the current U.K. version. It has a 140 hp Rover engine, not the 190 hp Toyota the U.S. car will have. The brakes aren't as good as the U.S. edition, nor is the gearbox. There are other differences, too. See the R&T article.

Here are my impressions after driving it for about 20 minutes:

First, it's a cool looking car. It has great lines, but it's kind of busy, flashy, and aggressive, especially compared to the smooth, refined lines of the Z. The front end, with all its vents and cuts, looks somewhat oversculpted to me.

It's very small, smaller than a Miata. And it's low. With the top on, it's a little tricky to get into. You stick your right leg all the way in, then fold your left leg underneath and crouch down low as you slide in over the tall door sill, and into the seat. It takes a bit of contortion, but the salesman said that you get used to it. When seated, I noticed that my head was below the trunk line of a BMW 5 series. Low.

The seat is comfortable, but the pedals are small, and spaced closely together. The gas pedal is very narrow (see picture below), and the shoes I was wearing were only just small enough to allow me to use the gas without hitting the brake at the same time. I had half seriously thought about wearing my racing boots for the test drive, and it wouldn't have been a bad idea.

The interior is spartan. No enclosed glove compartment, minimal radio and climate controls (the U.K. version doesn't have A/C, but the U.S. will). It's also relatively noisy, with the engine right behind the passenger compartment.

The steering wheel is small and race-styled, made of wood and suede. No power assist. The shifter is fairly long for a small sports car, but that will probably change in the U.S. model. I hope so, because shifting was sloppy and indecisive.

The Rover engine is not terribly impressive, with weak low-end torque. But rev it up and it moves nicely. Out on the road the car handled well, gripping solidly through turns (on familiar RE040s!--the U.S. car will have special Yokohama tires). I was able to get it to understeer on a tight traffic circle, but otherwise it held the road convincingly. More power will be welcome.

The ride is stiff, and that's one area where I don't think we expect any changes. Not vastly more harsh than the Z, but being so much lighter (under 2000 pounds), you felt the road more.

The fabric top has built-in plastic supports at both sides: unsnap them from the door and roll the top up into a compact package that fits into the tiny trunk behind the engine, along with two flexible, removable longitudinal ribs that give the top shape. An optional hard top will be available. With the top off, getting in and out of the car is no trick at all: just step in and slide down.

The trunk behind the mid-engine is very small, and there's no storage space in the front. Two people could take enough luggage for a weekend trip if they're both guys. If your wife/girlfriend needs a case for her cosmetics and three bags of clothes, she'll have to follow you in her car.

Overall, it is a fun car to drive, and will be even better in the U.S. spec, with bigger engine and brakes. But it is a true sports car that puts driving first, and creature comforts and pragmatic concerns, like storage space, well down the priority list. Unlike the Z, it is not a comfortable, convenient everyday driver that you can also go fast in.

So am I going to get one? It's tempting. I didn't have enough time in it to really get a strong sense of how it will perform on the track. And without the better engine, tranny, and brakes, I wouldn't even consider the U.K. version I actually drove.

If I got one, it would be much more of a track-only car than the Z. is. I have an old Accord as my beater, and every time I walk out the door, I'm drawn to the Z. I have to force myself to use the Accord once or twice a week to keep its battery charged and keep the miles on the Z reasonably low.

But with the Elise, I think I'd take the Accord for nearly all my quick, around-town trips, and use the Lotus only when I was going to the track or out for a fun ride.

So I don't know. The Elise's impracticality is a mark against it. Would its performance on the track be worth the inconvenience the rest of the time? I'll think it over.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by Lo Fi Ched@Apr 30 2004, 09:03 AM
I'm kinda pissed off with the look of the new vette.  It looks like they stole the headlights and side gills (or whatever those vent things behind the front wheels are) right off the 1st Gen Viper.  I love the viper, but I don't be reminded of it when I'm looking a vette.  It's like sacrilidge or something.

Yeah, but here's the thing. Those "gills" were a part of the Vette tradition LONG before Vipers were ever a concept. I really like the new C6 design--it's got a Stingray feel to it and who can argue with a 400hp LS2. Mmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
That review of the Elise was with an engine that has only 140 hp, compared to 190 hp in the U.S. spec car. An extra 50 hp will make a huge difference in a sub-2000 lb. car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts