Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old car I used to add fuel injection cleaner every time I changed the oil. Anybody do it to their z and will it hurt it? I started doing it to my old car after my mom had a cloged injector and the service guy that fixed it told her to use cleaner every oil change. I currently have 7k on my z and I wanted to know before I hit the next oil change mark..
thanks for any info..

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I would not recommend it. You don't want sludge building up in your engine in certain areas.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jul 16 2005, 07:13 PM
I would not recommend it.  You don't want sludge building up in your engine in certain areas.
[snapback]132873[/snapback]​

+1....you don't need to add an injector "cleaner" to gasoline.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I use Chevron Techron every 3000 miles like it is a religion.

Kenny and Dave, why would you not want to use a cleaner? What could be the side effect? What are the other options for keep the injectors nice and clean?

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
I use Techron about every 3000 miles as well. Even more important for those with Vortechs because, in addition to injectors, the FMU on Vortechs can seize up from fuel deposits creating back pressure which ultimately blows fuel lines loose (happened to me). The injector cleaner address this issue as well.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by peptidbond@Jul 19 2005, 10:25 AM
I use Chevron Techron every 3000 miles like it is a religion.

Kenny and Dave, why would you not want to use a cleaner? What could be the side effect? What are the other options for keep the injectors nice and clean?
[snapback]133862[/snapback]​

If memory serves me correctly, I remember reading about it on the 300zx sites. It can leave deposits or films inside the plenum or rings, cylinders, whatever, that can harm the performance of your car. From what I understand, the only way to clean that is to take apart the engine and blast it. I'm not sure, though. I think clean gasoline and some highway driving usually helps the car stay smooth.

I used to live in Canada, and they add a cleaner to the gas at the pumps. It really screwed up my injectors. :xZ!o: The old o-rings were made of rubber on the injectors, and the Canadian gas would eat up the rings. Nissan eventually went with plastic rings to remedy that problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had good results with Redline fuel injector cleaner on my older car (not a Z ).

By the way my friend/mechanic that told me about it also told me to change the oil after using the cleaner since some of whatever crap gets cleaned out will end up in the oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The techron stuff works good. I wouldn't worry about sludge build up with that injector cleaner, and if you did, you could always use "seafoam" to clean ANY AND ALL deposits from your engine. When I did it to my car, chunks of carbon flew out the exhaust! You have to have some balls to use it though as you let a vac. line suck up the liquid into you engine which basically steam cleans your internals. I even added a cup of water to the solution. It works though. When I pulled my head to change the head gasket my pistons and combustion chambers had very little carbon build up for a 180,000 mile engine.

sean

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
With a car as new as ours, running premium gas (if you do), you shouldn't need to worry about this.

Like Dave said there are some negative side effects, and at this point in your car ownership (<10K miles) I definitely don't think it's a great idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts