Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys do when cleaning the bike. I noticed certain areas that were accumulating grease and dirt. Do you use WD40 or Simple Green or brake cleaner or what? I have teflon lubricant that I bought at a bike store, but I want to clean the chain and stuff before I apply it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've had a Trek 4500 for a little over 3 years. Lately, I've just been riding like 1 or 2 times a month though. I ride really hard in dirt trails, and my bike takes a lot of punishment ie. high speed crashes. I'm not too worried about keeping it clean though.

I take care of the chain the same way I do on my sportbike. Clean with kerosine and a paint brush to get all the grease and dirt. Then coat with a specialized grease for bike chains. Most people use WD40, but I've heard people claim it could be bad for your chain. Let it soak in several minutes then turn the petals to let it work in all the little links (you'll probably have to re-clean the frame surrounding the chain).

You can wash the whole thing with soap and water, but then you have to take special care that all moving parts are still adequately greased when you are done. I think some Simple Green diluted on a moist rag would be your best bet. Then wipe it dry. That's what I do in my once every 4 month cleaning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts