Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was up in Big Bear a couple weekends ago and I spotted this test mule. I was thinking that it was the production version of the Volt. What do you guys think?
[attachment=26843:8519_536...075755_n.jpg]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Looks boring and crappy. Way to go for 21st century designing...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have mentioned this before but I am pretty sure that it was running on electricity at the time. This was in slow and go traffic also. Any other guesses out there?

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
QUOTE (IDrm350 @ Sep 24 2009, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=583918
I should have mentioned this before but I am pretty sure that it was running on electricity at the time. This was in slow and go traffic also. Any other guesses out there?
The Nissan Leaf is going to be the new entry into the Electric car market.

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car...8497#/car/index

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:5mUY7Sn...AN_EV4__mid.jpg

Also could be the new updated Prius. It is due for a refresh this year is I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had already seen dozens of the new Prius (and Insight for that matter) at the time this pic was taken.

I don't think that it is the Leaf because of the rear. The rear looked very "Chevyish" in its styling even with the camo on.

Whatever it is, it is awful. That's for sure. I am a grad student in an alternative energy and transportation lab so I was curious to see if all of the car enthusiasts on here could identify the car. I still think it may be the hideous production version of what was a decent looking concept of the Volt.

On a side note, Chevy is claiming 230 mpg with that car according to the new EPA test method for plug-in hybrids. The test method sucks, I bet it is closer to 100 mpg real world. Which is still good obviously. A friend of mine in the lab had a big part in developing the test method using the new plug-in Prius which Toyota may now scrap due to an internal study that shows no carbon reductions beyond the current non-plug-in Prius'. In case you guys were wondering... :blah:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Sweet, thanks man! I guess it was just really quiet! It's pretty lame as far as cars go but its pretty good looking for an Elantra IMO!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I find it odd that our government, while maintaining that it is in the best interest for our environment, markets these cars so much as if they are the best thing since sliced bread, and yet makes them so stupid expensive that no one can afford them, lol. Take the Camary for example, why pay that much extra for an "environmentally unobstrusive" car when I can get the same car that does minimal damage for tons less. I understand, well, perhaps I should say "assume", that they cost a little more to produce, but c'mon...and Brent, I'm sure you know much more about all this stuff than I do, I'm only guessing here. All I know is that those tree huggers must have the best jobs.....

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (Nerb @ Oct 1 2009, 07:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=584257
I find it odd that our government, while maintaining that it is in the best interest for our environment, markets these cars so much as if they are the best thing since sliced bread, and yet makes them so stupid expensive that no one can afford them, lol. Take the Camary for example, why pay that much extra for an "environmentally unobstrusive" car when I can get the same car that does minimal damage for tons less. I understand, well, perhaps I should say "assume", that they cost a little more to produce, but c'mon...and Brent, I'm sure you know much more about all this stuff than I do, I'm only guessing here. All I know is that those tree huggers must have the best jobs.....
The funny thing is that they really aren't much better for the environment. Take the Prius for example: the batteries in the Prius use massive amounts of nickel. The nickel is mined in Canada. Mining harms the environment of course. The raw materials (ore) are trucked using diesel trucks (which are, as of now, unregulated) to ports where it is loaded onto ships; ships that burn fuel that is one small step above crude oil (or is crude in some cases). The raw materials are then trucked to processing plants in Europe where the sponge nickel is produced. More trucking, and more pollution from the production of sponge iron. The sponge iron is then transported to Japan using a combination of diesel trucks and ships; more wasted energy and more pollution. In Japan, the batteries are completed producing still more pollution.

After the Prius reaches the end of its life (which is significantly shorter than a normal car) the batteries must be carefully recycled using even more energy and producing more pollution. The moral of this story is, if you want a fuel efficient car that is easy on the environment, by a Yaris, not a Prius. The additional energy used and pollution created by the production of a Prius negates most, if not all, of it's benefit.

In SoCal, Prius's are very popular. They are a status symbol. "Oh, I'm saving the environment 'cause I drive a Prius", "I'm progressive and environmentally friendly!" Bullshit. On a regular basis, while I am on the freeway, some douche bag in a Prius goes flyin' past me at 90 or so. I'm sure he is getting awesome gas mileage! Check this video out, it's hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk

Here is an interesting read also: http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveener...F%20VERSION.pdf

This report purports that the Hummer H1 is more environmentally friendly than a Prius on a 'dust to dust' basis. They made some questionable assumptions but the point remains the same: the Prius is not all that it cracked up to be from an environmentally friendly standpoint. There was an opposing study that sought to disprove this study but it failed to do so (IMO) for the same reasons they claimed that the original study was invalid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts