Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode in the LS1 GTO this summer and was impressed with the power it was putting to the ground. However, I was 'scared' going around curves and corners. Can you say 'yaw?' I felt like I was snowboarding!

That thing is heavvvvy. The owner told me that's because the underbody is all steel due to the harsh conditions in Australia. Anyone care to explain that one?

And from what I was told, the new LS1 and LS2 engine pounds out more whp than the original GTO's...easily. :thumbsup: for technology!

·
Registered
297 Posts
The GTO is built to pretty much the same specs as the Aussie Monaro - Good to have runs against but the Zed is a little quicker in a straight line. Come to some corners and the GTO has no chance.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah, we get things like rain and **** down here all the time.

Im not sure what all the manufacturers of cars mean when they talk all the time about our "harsh conditions".

We have desert and "the bush" but Im sure you guys have that over there as well, perhaps it goes back to our convict heritage. Who da fark knows?

As far as having a run with them? The monaro down here, and i hope I don't offend anyone, is more of a "ladies" car.

With saying that though, they are a **** of a lot cheaper to upgrade than the Z.

Like Perthy said though they are "on paper" slightly slower than a Z.

As always

H

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My mum has one .... I have not run against it, but it's slower than the HSV R8 that my dad has. Same engine in both cars, but the HSV has 20hp more at the peak. Besides that it's the same chasis and gearbox.

Anyway, I did run the HSV and that is quicker than a stock 350Z ... about 3 - 5 car-lengths to 100mph. My guess is that the Monaro would be pretty close to the 350Z, with a tiny edge to the 350Z.

·
Registered
8 Posts
LS1 Monaro and the Zed are very similar in a straight line. When it comes to corners however, the Munro is left in the Zed's dust.

I know a Holden engineer who has been driving an LS2 GTO Mule, and apparently that is another beast altogether! I think Mr Nissan better speak to Mr APS about a factory power upgrade, otherwise the Zed's going to be eating the GTO/Monaro's dust!

·
Registered
258 Posts
"Mr Nissan better speak to Mr APS about a factory power upgrade.."

that would be the best decision Nissan ever made, although i think more likely Nissan would sell the only factory backed kits, with a MASSIVE margin a la Nismo parts...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Originally posted by DavidM@Nov 11 2004, 07:03 AM
My mum has one  .... I have not run against it, but it's slower than the HSV R8 that my dad has. Same engine in both cars, but the HSV has 20hp more at the peak. Besides that it's the same chasis and gearbox.

Anyway, I did run the HSV and that is quicker than a stock 350Z ... about 3 - 5 car-lengths to 100mph. My guess is that the Monaro would be pretty close to the 350Z, with a tiny edge to the 350Z.

The Monaro/GTO is also heavier than the Clubbie. I have a friend who has an HSV (285kw) and since he had his O2 sensor replaced he sh!ts all over me - still fun though as I always try to get the jump on him and let him chase me down.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The Monaro/GTO is also heavier than the Clubbie.

I beg to differ. Monaros are about 30kg lighter than their sedan couterpart. Not only that, but the Clubsport gets bigger brakes which put the weight up. The R8 (and GTS) in particular are quiete heavy ... 1705kg for both of them as they have all the 'go fast bits' and they add weight.

If I'm not mistaken, the Monaro weights around 1640kg.

ps. I just remembered that the new 'series2' Monaro went up with weight a little bit and now it's more like the GTO weight. I think it went up about 30kg so the GTO (and new Monaro).

I have a friend who has an HSV (285kw) and since he had his O2 sensor replaced he sh!ts all over me/

Why the need to replace the O2 sensor? What's the difference/gap between your 350Z and the 285kW HSV?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Apparently it's a relatively common problem. What was happening was that when he went to WOT the car spluttered a little before responding which always enabled me to get the jump on him. Up until then (from a standing start) we used to be dead level up to 80kmh and he would then gradually start pulling away from me.

With the new O2 sensor, he gets about a car length off the line and then just keeps gapping me at a steady pace until he's about 2 carlengths in fromnt up to 100kmh

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
he gets about a car length off the line

I'm surprised that he outlaunches you, and by that much. Afterall the HSV is a heavy car, with relatively thin tyres (ie. 235s). Normally lighter cars get a better launch then the heavier ones (unless 4WD).

·
Registered
297 Posts
By "off the line" I'm taliking about the width of an intersection. The thing has bucketloads of torque, so much fine to drive in a straight line!!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
By "off the line" I'm taliking about the width of an intersection. The thing has bucketloads of torque, so much fine to drive in a straight line!!

Aaaah, so we are talking about a 'street launch' (ie. no clutch drop) for both cars ... right? Or are you saying that even with a clutch drop the HSV beats you across the intersection (ie. ~60feet).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Both cars are auto, so we torque them up a bit, just not too much. We both want to head out on a drag night so we can go **** for leather and try a few different things.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Both cars are auto, so we torque them up a bit, just not too much. We both want to head out on a drag night so we can go **** for leather and try a few different things.

I forgot that your car is an auto. Also I know how quick the auto HSVs are off the line ... not many thing can match them in everyday starts. I'd go as far to say that the HSV does not have much to gain by torque-stalling the car/box.

I'll be interested to hear how you both go at the drags ... when are you planning to go?

·
Registered
297 Posts
We're waiting on the HSV owners club drag day at the moment. However, I might try alternate clubs as the wait is really killing us both

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nothing yet, we've made anew years resolution to get out there though. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts