Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've decided to get rid of vortech... cause I ran into a deal I couldnt resist for APS TT.
Heres what I got for APS TT..
Full rebuilt DE engine, ported head. Forge (stock size) pistons and rods, valves and springs, HKS head gasket, ARP head studs.

It ran perfectly fine with 7psi boost. (I remembered it being around 420whp)

my question is, would I be safe to go up to 12psi of boost without lower compression Pistons, and upgraded crank?
Also, would it be safe with the above to take 14-15psi making it to 480whp?

thx for any input! :bow:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last thing i want is my engine to go kaboom!
So, i better stay at 7-8psi until i get lower compression pistons, right?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I better stay at 7-8psi until i get lower compression pistons, right?
Just my opinion but if you went up to 10psi you'd be fine…

Assuming…

A. You have a solid tune that was performed on a dyno
B. You're using a high-octane, such as 91 or 93 ocatane fuel

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HELP!!!

the shop that installed the turbo messed something up, and both turbo needs to be rebuilt. I tried asking APS directly, but they are not responding.

Can anyone give me solid info on the what turbo comes with the APS TT kit?
Also, since APS half outta business, would anyone point me to a shop online that would sell the turbos seperately?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
HELP!!!

the shop that installed the turbo messed something up, and both turbo needs to be rebuilt. I tried asking APS directly, but they are not responding.

Can anyone give me solid info on the what turbo comes with the APS TT kit?
Also, since APS half outta business, would anyone point me to a shop online that would sell the turbos seperately?
I think APS started with Garrett and changed to a Chinese manufactured unit that saw a lot of issues and collapse of reputation. They aren't the first to have travelled that journey, so beware of the knock off units as they are inferior. If you google Garrett, you will get a local distributor or if you chase the Australian distributor, he may well know the exact units and their combinations with compressor v turbine A/R ratios etc. Your units should be able to be rebuilt if they are Garrett and its usually the seals and bearings that need looking at. I have a spare APS kit in my garage and perhaps over the weekend I can get the housing ID markings which MAY give a clue to the exact units and their ratios. If someone in Hong Kong cannot rebuild your existing units perhaps you can ship them down to Aus. for someone to look at. PS> Bigger isn't always better with your turbo. It may give you excellent "Hollywood" horsepower figures but have so much lag its a joke. The Garrett people will advise you on this stuff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update...

I got a pair of new turbos from GTM, since APS wont reply to my mail.
And while I was at it, I got myself some CP 8.5:1 pistons... So along with my APR studs, HKS gastket, I should be ok to boost up more right?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Interesting…I have a similar story…sold the Procharger to go twin turbo when a greddy 18g essentially fell in my lap. Im not installing until I get the 18g's rebuilt but I am well on my way…really enjoying the swap.

back to what you got going on…how much boost are you looking to run? what are you tuning with? what other supporting mods are you running (injectors? fuel system? oil cooling? etc...)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other then the head stud and gasket, valve and springs which i mentioned in the first post.
I also have a custom 9 row oil cooler, drop in Walbro pump, and the aps injectors that came with the kit.

Since I'll be using the unichip which was provided with aps tt kit, I'll be sticking with 7-8psi for starters. But eventually down the road im looking at 14-16 psi or whatever i can max out at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts