Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I performed my first oil change I used Amsoil. Anyway I just recently checked online to see what they recommend for change interval....25K!!! :OMG: Now i am more than a little skeptical to change only every 25K, anyone endured this 25K duration, any recommendations here? I know amsoil has the best rep with motor oil, but 25K?

·
Registered
543 Posts
hmm... lets see... I got 5 bucks for the first guy who tries to run Amsoil for 25k miles in their $30,000 vehicle. Hope it works!

IMO, somthings arent worth the risk, but probably, if you kept it under 3000 RPM, babied the **** out of it, and somehow replaced the filter while keeping the oil in there... you might be able to get away with that. But lets see, what does a new motor cost now adays? No way would I try it..

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I applaud your skepticism and doubt you should linger so long between oil changes. I tend to err on the side of caution and will replace my synthetic every 3500 miles.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am currently running Amsoil 0-30m in my Z and I believe it states specifically IN WRITING that the oil is good for 35,000 miles. My Amsoil rep said he tested his oil at ~30K miles and it was still like brand new. I searched online (apart from an documentation that has relations with Amsoil) and Amsoil won first place in almost every category.

The filters must be changed every 7,500 or 12,500 (can't remember which). I am still not quite sure how this can be accomplished without losing oil, but I will have to try this upon my oil filter change and test out the oil that leaks out.

Sure, I too am skeptical about running the same oil for 35,000 miles, but if engine failure occurs prior to the 35K mark and proof is obtained that all recommended procedures have been accomplished, then I'm sure the statement in writing can be used to retrieve the money for a new engine or whatever other problems are caused by Amsoil's interval period.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Whats the price per quart for this?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think I paid ~$5-6 for a quart but you have to go through a dealer in order to get the better pricing. I can provide you with my supplier's website, phone number, and any other info if you're interested.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I change my Mobile 1 Syn every 3000 miles... then run the **** out of the car muahahahah

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Yeah that would be great. I am currently running Royal Purple and its about the same price per quart as this.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[/quote]

Dave, I'll make sure to post that for you as soon as I get home and find all that info.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Amsoil is the 'shiznit' according to a friend of mine who also swears by Royal Purple. In fact, I think he got a license so he could buy Amsoil in bulk and sell it.

I might not wait 25k, but I would probably go at least 10k with Amsoil. I'm sure it depends on a lot of factors like weather, type of driving, temps, etc.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

Dave, I'll make sure to post that for you as soon as I get home and find all that info.
<div align="right">[snapback]65979[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks bro!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My Distributor's name is Charles Almond Dealer#1193382 you may call him at 1-800-956-5695 or 214-801-9483 Charles Almond's Amsoil Supply Let me know if you guys need some more info.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you guys want to use your oil for a long period of time, it might be a good idea to have oil analysis done. That way you'll have some hard numbers and you'll know exactly when to replace your oil as well as what sort of health your engine is in. Probably the most important part would be to replace your oil filters at regular intervals if you decide to run the oil for this period of time, and after the filter is replaced top up the engine with oil.

I replace mine oil every 10,000km, which is about every 6,000miles. I use motul v300 oil, and I didn't have a problem yet. I've also started using CM oil filter which is supposed to be replace every 20,000km (or 15,000km depending which size you choose, I got the 6-1/4" long one) but I'll replace it every 10,000km just like the regular filters.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[/quote]

It is 25k for 5w-30. I am going to go 12.5k and then change. I will get the oil analyzed after 12.5k and if the results are impressive maybe i will stretch to 18k next time. But for $5.95 a quart every 12.5k is still saving me significant $ in the long run, not to mention filling my babies belly with the finest ingredients. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Heres a link to amsoil if you would like to purchase/research:

Amsoil

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just make sure you replace the oil filters frequently. Also get the oil analysed the first time you replace the oil filter it'll give you some idea of how the oil is doing and if it's worth continuing or not.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
One more thing to keep in mind is that the OEM filters are ok to use with this oil, but must be changed out every 3K miles. The oil filters from Amsoil are composed of different material and can therefore stand to properly filter the oil for the increased mileage.

The smell of this stuff is just wierd. IT smells nothing like oil as its fully synthetic, and resembles a more, dare I say, nutty smell.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Hey all, I'm thinking of switching to Amsoil, but then I just saw these new Mobile 1 commercials. I know it's no 35K, but my question is, why would they sell 3 different intervals of the new Mobile 1 (5K, 7.5K and 15K)? Why would anyone opt to be forced to change their oil 3 times as often if they don't have to?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts