Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my amp rack pretty much finished. Have a few minor things .. mount the fan and wiring from cap. Still .. coming along. Next is run the wiring. Then the real fun begins .. building the woofer boxes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Looking good! So where are you mounting this? I'm sure some people are curious.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Looks great Ed :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking good! So where are you mounting this? I'm sure some people are curious.
Dave,

Behind the driver's seat. Still need to come up with a grille for the cover (Floor Finisher Mask).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Do you have a way to vent the heat? Looks like a tight squeeze and you might have some overheating issues.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a way to vent the heat? Looks like a tight squeeze and you might have some overheating issues.

Excellent question.

The driver's side cubby is a big box that while not air-tight, is certainly not conducive to free air circulation.

That having been said, I see two scenarios:

1. No problem, everything is fine and we have no heat issues.
2. There ARE heat issues.

Since #1 can be safely ignored, then anything done to alleviate #2 will have no effect on #1.

Therefore, assuming scenario #2, I see the choices as:

1.a. Heat issues that can be alleviated by using fans and venting the cubby.
1.b. Heat issues that prevent the cubby from being used to mount the sub-amp.

I'm going to ignore 1.b. with the belief (until I find out differently) that 1.a. will be a solution.

Currently, the plan is to attack the problem with heat from two directions.
1. Use a fan. I have a 12VDC Brushless Fan from Radio Shack. It is rated at 27 CFM at 1.9W.
2. Vent the cubby cover (Floor Finisher Mask). I plan to cut out the entire face of the cover and insert a grille.

I have a couple of additional .. .ummm … ideas:

1. Control the fan using a temperature controller to turn the fan only when the temperature in the cubby reaches a pre-determined point. This of course, will be useful only if the fan along with the venting allows proper cooling with the fan on constantly.
2. Show the temperature in the cubby. I have a temperature probe that is actually designed to be used with my radar detector – mounted at the front of the automobile to sense air temperature – but – I'm thinking that since the Z comes with this already .. that it could be used for monitoring the cubby temps instead.

With everything hooked up and running I will start getting an answer to the question of whether the amps are getting enough air circulation. If the planned single fan and vent is not sufficient, then there is space in the cubby to mount additional fans. This may or may not be necessary .. or even deemed worthwhile .. again dependent of the results of the original cooling plans.

This is of course, currently just talk. I still have to wire the darn thing up. I went by Pep Boys and WallyWorld this morning. Both had amplifier wiring sets .. with 17 feet of 8 ga wire for between $20-$24. Pep Boys had 4ga, same length for $39. It also contained 3 feet of ground wire, inline fuse holder and remote wire.

Bah!! I say! I'm considering .. running both the power cable and ground cable from the battery using 4ga wire. I only need a couple feet of 8ga – power and ground. What to do .. what to do?

Answer. I was at Home Depot the other day and noticed that they have a large selection of all kinds of wire .. including 4ga and 8ga. Now .. these are not fancy red and clear covered wiring .. just a black rubber covering. I could be wrong – but I don't see how there would be THAT much difference between the two and the bulk wire from Home Depot is both much cheaper .. and you can buy it by the foot.

I shall investigate further … :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts