Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the total noob question, but here goes...

If you want the amp to run all 4 speakers and a sub, do you need a 5-channel amp?
Can you let the amp run the front two speakers and the sub, then let the HU run the back two speakers and just buy a 3-channel amp?

Is it ok to have one amp power everything? The other option is to buy a smaller amp for now to run the front speakers, let the HU run the rears. Then when I get around to the sub, buy another amp for that. I would just like to plan for it and buy the right amp up front if I can run everything from one amp.

This weekend I'm installing a new HU, 6.1 Perfects up front, and an amp to run them. I want an amp with the option of adding a sub and/or quality rear speakers later. What kind of amp do I need to buy? Any opinions on brand and/or model???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Each channel is for one speaker. So 4 channel will power 4 speakers, or the fronts and a sub. The best thing to do is buy a amp for the speakers and a separate for the sub, but I think lots of 4 channel amps have a RCA to power a sub-specific amp. If you want you could get a 5-channel amp and you'll have all you need, but generally they are BIG and you are better off getting a pair of amps (Plus if ones blows you still have part of the system).

You could use the HU to power the rears, but depending on what HU you have it may be difficult to get them to match the rest of the system. The stock rear location sucks anyway, even with my new rear and having them amped they don't sound too good, but add the right amount of rear fill.

Depending on your budget you should be able to get a 5-channel or a 4 channel and a mono sub for the bass. If you go to 350zmotoring my gallery shows my amps under the seats and my custom box. Or jsut do a search for radio or amps.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
heres my response to a similar question that was asked:

Here are my initial thoughts:
- 3 RCAs from the HU to the amp (3 for upgrade, only use 2 for now). Runs through the center hump.

why 3 RCAs ? I would recommend only running front speakers and a subwoofer. rear speakers only cause interference and do not significantly add to the volume. You would be better off with 1 set of really good front speakers than 2 sets. I will explain more on this if you need me to.

- Speaker wire from amp to fronts. Run through center to dash and across to each door???

It is very difficult to run the wires into the doors of the Z. Unless you are running extrememly high power, this is unnecessary. I am running some fairly strong amps and 150watt rms components with no problems in the factory wiring.

- Speaker wire from amp to rears. Run through rear area. I assume this is obvious.

Again, I would advise against rear speakers.
So your options would be:

5channel amp: 4 channels to power front and rear, 1 channel for subwoofer

pros: all in one package, easy to setup, less wiring, looks nice runs 4 speakers and sub
cons: not as much power for sub, may be difficult to mount large amp.

2 channel amp + 1 sub amp:

pros: high power for the front speakers, and high power for the sub
cons: more wiring, 2 amps

4 channel amp + 1 sub amp:

pros: power all 4 speakers and sub.
cons: more wiring, 2 amps, usually less power on 4-channel amps than 2-channel

4 channel amp (2 channels for sub):

pros:1 amplifier, runs front channels and sub
cons: bridging isnt the best thing to do for subs.. not as versatile.

My advice would be to go with a 2 channel high power amp for the front speakers and a mono subwoofer amp for the bass. The rear speakers do not do much really and actually sound imaging improves if you turn them off.

I can expand on this if you need me too

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm not sure that it's safe to say that the sound stage improves with the rear speakers gone. With the right amount of rear fill it will sound much better than just 2 speakers and a sub.

You don't need mega power amps to have a loud system. A true 60watts is very very loud. Think about your home system that probably is less than 100watts total.

But to each his own.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been planning on putting on some sounds on my Z but I'm still not convinced on how and what I'd need to do.

I've heard diff. opinions on imaging that it sounds better with just front speakers but with the use of kick panels? Is this right?

Option 1
* Front and rear speakers powered by 4 channel amp
* One 10" sub powered by a mono amp

Option 2
* Front speakers only w/2 channel amp
* One 10" sub

If I were to put front and rear speakers what's the right speaker size esp for rear?

·
Registered
315 Posts
you can't compare home stereo with car. it's totally different. which is why you don't really need rear speakers in your car. i do, but that's because i've got my xbox and 5.1 for my movies. i did it because i already had majority for the components to do it. so instead of letting it sit in my house, i threw it in. if you're looking for a small 5ch amp, check out memphis car audio. they have a very small amp lineup. their memphis bell is more than enough and very small.

oh, my very first post here. yay!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome to the boards Stu!

I have a question about the Xbox in the Z. Can you hook up audio from the Xbox to the stock HU? If so, what components would I need and how hard is the install? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by NismoKid+Oct 17 2004, 09:51 PM-->QUOTE (NismoKid @ Oct 17 2004, 09:51 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-DiRN
@Oct 17 2004, 09:50 PM
<span style="color:darkblue">Xbox to the stock HU... 
</span>

Xbox audio...I know it can be done.

thanks. i used to post a lot on my350z in the audio forum and off topic.

i believe there was a thread on my350z on how to add an rca to the stock hu. but for the xbox, you will need to mod it and load the xbox media center. pretty much like windows media. a dc/ac converter and a monitor.

the install isn't too bad, nothing like building a sub enclosure. but a little time consuming for all of the wires you need to run. btw, if you can hook up an ipod to the stock hu, you can hook up the xbox.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Cool, my brother already does XBMC and Avalaunch installs for his friend's Xboxs. It's really cool, lets you play/rip DVDs, mp3s, Xbox games, emulators, play mpegs, etc. The only problem is that the largest drive on the Xbox is 4 gigs and like 4 others 1 gigs a piece and he's going to learn to upgrade drives.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
315 Posts
no prob. i've got a 250gb in mine. got about 120 free, the rest is filled with games. still gotta figure out how to have dvds play from the hd. havent touched it in about 4 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts