Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got some serious problems and I want to get some advice from my fellow Z peeps. I bought a 2003 Z Coupe Base model, just the plain basic model. I do love the car but I am having lots of bad luck. First of all when I bought it it had 7000 miles and looked mint. I asked the dealer many times if it was ever wrecked, and they said no. I checked car fax.com, and it had no records of it ever being wrecked. But I was suspicious due to paint on the inside of the gas door looking weird, and the passengerside back window wasn't tinted, but all the rest of the windows were. OK maybe I was being naive, and didn't use my best judgement. Looking back I can't believe that I didn't realize for sure that it was wrecked. I went to a tint place to have the small window retinted, and the guy who does the tinting remembered the car, and said he knew who owned it before me, and knew that it had been wrecked. I did some research, and got his phone number. He said his girlfriend wrecked it, and the passenger door, the right wheels, and tires had to be replaced. Plus any other body work that had to be done.

So I felt like crap after finding that out. I tried to fight with carfax to get them to buy the car. But they got away due to me not acting within the time frame for them to get serious about buying the car. I went to the dealer who sold the car, and fought with them. But... Buyer be aware car sold "as is". They comped me with a $300.00 gift certificate for their service center. wow!!!

I started getting the classic feathering of the front tires, and the local Nissan dealership did warranty the front end alignment, and the 2 front tires after waiting 2 months for tires to come in stock. This work was done last Wednesday. It rides great now, and you can't tell it was ever wrecked, from looking at it, or from the way it handles. It is a sweet ride none the less. But I noticed yesterday when they worked on it they damaged the front right rim. It looks like the impact jumped off the lug, and it just tore a gash in the finish across the rim, about 6" long. It stands out pretty bad. I also have the grease issue from the window rollers on the passenger, and driver side. Am I covered for the grease repairs???

I am scared to death that I might have to keep dealing with the tire issues, and I am afraid to piss them off by bitching about the scratches on my rim. I may need to keep the Nissan dealership on my side if the tires do become an issue again. I really don't know what to do. I feel sick about the whole car and wish I never bought it in the first place. BUT... If the car is fixed and I never have issues, besides normal ware and tear I would be happy with it.

Basically, I am wondering if I have the same rights to warranty for these issues with the car, even though I bought it used. It now has 22,000 miles, and there is no way I can afford to buy new tires each year. It was a stretch for my broke ass to get this ride in the first place. I hate to say it, but I think I am stuck with a car that I will never come close to getting my money back from again, if I ever do go to get rid of it. I don't plan on making money off of the car, but I don't want to lose my ass like $10,000 if I go to sell or trade it. I have a feeling anyone else will detect that it had been wrecked. And does the wreck nullify the warranty on the front end issues if the Nissan dealer finds out??? For all I know the Nissan dealership might already know that I am the second owner. I haven't been asked, and I haven't said anything about it either.

Please HELP!!!! Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You have a 3-year/36k mile warranty on the car, not the owner. So yes. the minor warranty stuff is covered (yes, they will fix the window grease for free).

So carfax has no record of the wreck? That's good if you plan on reselling.

If they give you any crap about the warranty...just threaten them. It's terrible that they sold you a car that had been wrecked. During their inspections they should have noticed anything odd. Not telling you was really dishonest.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
If they bought the car used and knew of the wreck (or not), they have to certify it as a used car after it goes through a thorough inspection. If they lied about anything that could affect that, then you have a valid issue or argument. Yes, it's buyer beware, but the onus is also on the dealer for selling you a damaged car.

Like maxim said, your warranty is still good. Just keep taking it in for everything, get to know the service manager, tell him you want to be treated fairly, and be professional about it. Keep a log of each and every time you take it in, what happened to the car, keep in touch with NNA, and read up on all the Z sites about the latest TSB's.

If it comes down to a knock down, drag out fight with the dealer, you should then go to your local news station with the story. Make sure you have your detailed log book so you can back it up. The news station has an ombudsman that loves to investigate businesses taking advantage of the common customer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts