Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People, :newbie:

New newbie ( 4 weeks Old black annviversary) with lots of questions concerning modification. I want to do street and track. Incidently, I plan to paste and copy this writeup on other 350Z threads. Considering I' not close to being an F- mechanic, all work will have to be done by a reputable modification and tuning shop.

My goal is strong pull through rpm band, maybe in the low 11s put I'm a freak for top end speed (200+mph)

1) I want to keep the appearance of the Z stealthy stock.
2) I want the Aps Twins with thier tall boy plenum (need to know what strut bar to use.
3) the suspension I was thing of Tein Coilovers
4) What does it mean true dual cat back
5) Rt high flow cat
6) oil catch
7) Walbon 255
8) water pump ?
7) was gate ?
8) blow of valve?
9) intercooler?
10) want type on internal work (detail)
11) Does the anniversary need a better shifter B&M?
12) Exhast that produce great hp and a little torgue with little more dbs than stock
and thank look great (no slant on tail pipes)
13) New water pump
14) Heat rap the manifold
I Know theres are lots more Items i missed. I'm not sure have accurately detailed the modifications. If you have the time please advise Don't know if I have mention

I also desperately need to know a tunig shop near Mississippi. Live between Mobile and Biloxi/Gufport
:50cal:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Why?

The problem you're going to run into is gearing. In 6th gear at 156 it's already tached at 5,500 if I'm not mistaken.

The car wasn't meant to go that fast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
200+mph crashes are really scary...i wouldn't reccomend this project...

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
There is a TT in dallas that hit 185.. so its very achievable

First you needs a ton of power.

Second you needs better aerodynamics. Aero plays a bigger part than you may think.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
here are some quick and dirty air friction force calculations for the Z at various speeds
100mph--------148.33
150mph--------333.75
175mph--------454.28
200mph--------593.35

As you can see you almost quadruple the wind force from 100-200mph.. Hold you hand outside the window at 100 and multiply that by 4 and you will be ripping skin off.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I'd like to know where you'd be acheiving this. I want nothing to do with it and don't want to be around.

You're going to need a lot more aerodynamics (diffusers, spoiler, etc) to hold you to the ground and some crazy suspension components.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Aero gets even trickier when you are adding spoilers. to hold to the ground requires additinal air friction, so the numbers i posted go even higher.

But for arguement's sake, you will need to build your block, awill need to be into the 600+rwhp range

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Originally posted by michaeljr6+Jun 21 2005, 12:04 PM-->
200+mph crashes are really scary...i wouldn't reccomend this project...
[snapback]118661[/snapback]​
exactly....wasn't it the optionZ that crashed at that speed??

<!--QuoteBegin-StudyBuddy
@Jun 21 2005, 12:32 PM
I'd like to know where you'd be acheiving this. I want nothing to do with it and don't want to be around.
[snapback]118700[/snapback]​

you can come up to boston....that's far enough away frmo MS!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by djkern@Jun 21 2005, 01:54 PM
you can come up to boston....that's far enough away frmo MS!
[snapback]118714[/snapback]​

I would honestly hope that he's not doing this on MS roads :OMG: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

Their roads are just as bad, if not worse than ours!

You'd definitely want a smooth as glass surface for this stunt.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Depends on how crazy/stupid you are... the owner of Top Secret, Nagata, did 200mph on a nice frosty night in England I think. Icy roads didnt hold him back! But he was arrested for the stunt :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Do some homework before you start spending $$$. I'd advise you buy some books on forced induction and a shop manual for your Z first. Even if you pay someone (tens of thousands of $$, &you WILL...) you will STILL need to be knowledgeable about what's being done to your car. Otherwise, you'll get hosed many times on your quest for that magic number.

Read all the performance/suspension/BRAKE (you will need 200 mph stopping power as well...) mod threads on all the forums. This is not an undertaking where you just spend money and next week you have a 200 mph car. You need to have a plan for achieving that goal.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
After seeing that car and watching that video, I do not think this forum will be backing your attempts.

Good luck. Hope you have some big balls and an extra Depends. You're gonna **** yourself when you flip at 200mph.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
The only way I could possibly imagine this being done safely is with a very VERY controlled environment. Absoultely no street could support that speed safely. Period.

I'm thinkin about somethin to the effect of what I saw on Top Gear. They take a top-speed run in a Koennigsegg ZZII on an abandoned airport runway. Even in the ZZII, they reached somethin like 175mph before Tiff had to hit the brakes - and HARD.

What would make this work is to first, have a machine that could not just "do" 200mph, but could get there VERY quickly. So, somethin that could top out at say, 240mph on an infinite track.

Next, you need a suitable track. Stewart Int'l Airport, NY comes to mind. It's 11,600 feet long.

Before attempting this, have a fully built and reliable engine for 200mph speeds. (Probably gonna have to ditch the VQ for an RB to accomplish this)

Throw on new rubber. Somethin rated to handle 200+ mph for the weight of your car, plus the anticipated weight of the added downforce (somethin the Option/Jun guys may have overlooked when their tire had a blowout at 201mph)

Add downforce in the correct areas, and remove drag where it is not needed (under the car, for example).

Have a pre-determined stopping zone, to allow you time to stop from 200mph.

But yeah, perhaps we are all putting the horse before the carriage here. Let us know when your car is ready to go, and we'll further assist you. ****, I'll take a trip up to Stewart myself and help ya out. Thats if you can convince the military to let ya have a go on their runway.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by Zirious@Jun 21 2005, 01:13 PM
Hi People,    :newbie:

New newbie ( 4 weeks Old black annviversary) with lots of questions concerning modification.  I want to do street and track.  Incidently, I plan to paste and copy this writeup on other 350Z threads.  Considering I' not close to being an F- mechanic, all work will have to be done by a reputable modification and tuning shop.

My goal is strong pull through rpm band, maybe in the low 11s put I'm a freak for top end speed (200+mph)

1) I want to keep the appearance of the Z stealthy stock.
2) I want the Aps Twins with thier tall boy plenum (need to know what strut bar to use.
3) the suspension I was thing of Tein Coilovers
4) What does it mean true dual cat back
5) Rt high flow cat
6) oil catch
7) Walbon 255
8) water pump ?
7) was gate ?
8) blow of valve?
9) intercooler?
10) want type on internal work (detail)
11) Does the anniversary need a better shifter B&M?
12) Exhast that produce great hp and a little torgue with little more dbs than stock
and thank look great (no slant on tail pipes)
13) New water pump
14) Heat rap the manifold
I Know theres are lots more Items i missed.  I'm not sure have accurately detailed the modifications. If you have the time please advise Don't know if I have mention

I also desperately need to know a tunig shop near Mississippi.  Live between Mobile and Biloxi/Gufport
:50cal:
[snapback]118635[/snapback]​

1.) There are a few turbo kits that can do this.
2.) APS tallboy plenum and stealth don't go together. I suggest a plenum spacer or something of the sort.
3.) How much autocrossing or road course driving do you plan on doing? Quite a bit = Tein FLEX coilovers, not too much = Tein Basic coilovers.
4.) True-Dual Catalytic-Converter-Back means that two pipes run from the end of the test pipes/high-flow cats/OEM cats to either one or two mufflers (one muffler with two exhaust outlets (tips) or one muffler with one exhaust outlet (tip) or two mufflers with one exhaust outlet (tip) on each muffler)
5.) Do you have emissions? If not, i'd suggest something more free-flowing like non-resonate or resonated test pipes.
6.) Ok.
7.) If you are getting an APS TT kit, you don't need that, it is included.
No on the water pump.
APS TT kit has internal wastegates that will support more than what you would want to do on the stock internals safely. (if you want to run more than 12psi, you will need to contact GRD Performance)
Blow-off valve is also included in the APS TT kit.
Intercooler is also included in the APS TT kit.

Connecting rods are needed for 450rwhp or more with no other mods other than the turbo kit.

Pistons are usually upgraded with the connecting rods to save on install and down time. We estimate the pistons will actually last around 500-550rwhp. You will also need ARP head and main studs. If you want more than 550rwhp, then I will suggest some more parts. But that is all you need for 550rwhp or less.

I wouldn't get one, you will get annoyed from shifting gears sooner with F/I, I would suggest getting a different shift knob and swapping from a 3.5 gear set to a 3.2 gear set (in the 5AT), you won't have to shift as often and the top speed will be higher.

Tough one, no one really knows what gains good power on an F/I vehicle. Listen to some sound clips and remember that the exhaust sound will be quieter from the turbos.

Nope.

Isn't necessary. If you really want to do something though, get it ceramic coated. Personally, I would get a exhaust housing insulator and use that.

You need to look on airpowersystems.com and then dealers to see where the APS dealers are, and see if they can tune the Unichip on your 350Z.

I would suggest a twin-plate clutch and flywheel such as ATS and a good LSD.

I don't think you'll reach 200mph but you can certainly try, I STRONGLY suggest an oil cooler if you want to attempt that high of MPH. Sustained high load runs will do pretty badly on oil temperature.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Jun 21 2005, 02:04 PM
There is a TT in dallas that hit 185.. so its very achievable

First you needs a ton of power.

Second you needs better aerodynamics.  Aero plays a bigger part than you may think.
[snapback]118662[/snapback]​

I don't think you need more power. More power just helps you get there faster. As long as the gearing and RPMs are there you could reach it without all of these mods, I believe.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by lionkiller@Jun 21 2005, 04:28 PM
Do some homework before you start spending $$$.  I'd advise you buy some books on forced induction and a shop manual for your Z first.  Even if you pay someone (tens of thousands of $$, &you WILL...) you will STILL need to be knowledgeable about what's being done to your car.  Otherwise, you'll get hosed many times on your quest for that magic number.

Read all the performance/suspension/BRAKE (you will need 200 mph stopping power as well...) mod threads on all the forums.  This is not an undertaking where you just spend money and next week you have a 200 mph car.  You need to have a plan for achieving that goal.
[snapback]118836[/snapback]​

I agree, research is one of the top 3 things you can do to make sure everything goes smooth.

I recommend Maximum Boost by Corky Bell for some good turbocharger knowledge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts