Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am trying to decide which model would most benifit me, i watched a couple options vid's and it looked like the vcd or whatever its called creates a bit of under steer, is there any way to get rid of that? i want to drift my 350 when i get it (getting a new track built in utah) also do all models have lsd? i was thinkin the track model would be best for me but what do you all think?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/quote]

are there only 3 models? base,enthusiast, and track? also anybody had probs drifting with understeer in vcd equiped cars?

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Base, Enthusiast, Touring, Performance, Track, 35th Anniversary.

I have no experience in a VDC equipped car, but from my knowlege, you can never completely turn it off.

The track model would probably be the best model for you because of the 18" Forged wheels and the Brembo brakes if you don't plan on doing any modifying. Personally, if I was drifting, I'd be looking at replacing the LSD with a better one anyways.

I wouldn't be worried about how your body panels look though. Most people that have gotten caught in this drift phase have ripped many body parts off of their car before learning that it's more natural to drive the car on a real track :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]

ok, so when getting a better lsd, does that fix the "not being able to drift easily" thing? i am just worried by what the japs were saying that its kinda hard to drift this car, sorry i am new to this 350 thing and yes i will be on a real track :)

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I don't know who says it's not easy to drift. The car does understeer, but so does every other stock car sold in this country. It's for insurance reasons. They have to build the car with the worst driver in mind.

So, if you could find a way to dial out the understeer and possibly dial in some oversteer, I'm sure you could whip it around much easier. One way to do it is with sway bars, but there are quite a few factors that affect understeer and oversteer.

Honestly, I try to not get my car sideways, so I don't know if it's easy to do or not.

·
Registered
470 Posts
get the base, then u need the nismo lsd, and get a good n/a setup a good suspencion and ur done!! time to drift!! :irock:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
The stock LSD is fine for drifting. :) Even though it's viscous.

The VDC does NOT create understeer. It stops the rear end from yawing by applying brake to specific corners to bring it back in.

Even with the VDC on, you can still accelerate to promote the drift. You just cannot brake to promote.

You can switch the VDC off. It will do whatever you ask at this point, based on presuming you know what to ask.

Every car understeers, it's how a car turns.. :p

The 350Z is a drifting machine. It will drift without asking any questions if you know what you are doing.

The Options video just mention that you can't drift with the VDC on, trying to use trail braking to initiate the drift. They also say that it drifts perfectly fine with it off. I own almost every Options and BMI dvd there is.

I am a professional motorsports driving instructor. Beaverun will be offering a drift school and competition if anyone is interested. Please email me for details if you are. We are located in Western Pennsylvania.

If I can help you any more, please ask.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice, sounds like you are the guy i need to talk to then, so how would i want my suspention setup? stiff in rear correct>? and it would be better to run some 225's in the rear rather than 275's in rear to drift correct? what else can you tell me about need to know things? thanks and sorry for being a newbie

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
suspension setup isn't something I can quickly get into here.

But if you are a newbie.. stick with the stock suspension for now until you get the hang of things.. no need to change it until you understand it.

No Z comes with 275 in the rear off the showroom floor.

17" are 235 in the rear. This is fine.

You are going to want to start off with cheap (OEM) tires (poor grip).. then move up to a high grip tire later.

You don't need anything right now if you haven't noticed the trend here.

All you need is the car, the right enviroment, a teacher or teaching aid... and most important, PRACTICE! :)

Don't make this more expensive than it has to be.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
VDC does not create understeer. I 'drift' just fine when I turn off my VDC. I love the way I can control the Z when sliding around. It's a beautiful feeling. :wub:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
[/quote]

i thought the track model came with a 245/275 setup.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
[/quote]

No.

P225/45WR18 (front)
P245/45WR18 (rear)

No way they do 245/275 stock.. It's a very crazy tire sizing that "we enthusiasts" started using.

Most people go 275 to fill up the back.

I don't think you need a 275 rear tire on a n/a Z. Perhaps up to 255/265 max...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Weird. I coulda swore...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea I have had no problems getting sideways with the VDC off, I know that in my Supra I have been told that you could never turn the traction control off but with a simple pull of the fuse the problem was fixed. I would have to say that being a somewhat skilled driver although new to drifting I have come into many corners such as the clovers coming off the freeway at speeds much higher then I thought would be possible to pull off but made it through without a scratch. The weight of the rear end in this car seems to be a definite advantage as it only takes a quick downshift and a little backspin on the tires when approaching a corner to be setting yourself up for the sideways slide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts