Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always driven a MT car. However I have noticed with the Z when I am on the highway or on the main roads going high speeds when I down shift either from 5th gear to 4th or from 4th to 3rd I cannot put it into gear which leaves me either using the brakes or pumping the klutch to slow down. Once I slow down then I am able to put it into gear but when I am at high speeds its like the klutch doesnt want to work. Any ideas guys on what I am doing wrong? Because this is so frustrating :banghead: I feel as though I am damaging my car when doing this

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have experienced this as well, however, I don't know what to do....just thought I would add that you are not alone on this one.

Sean

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by 007Angel@Jul 26 2005, 08:28 AM

I have always driven a MT car. However I have noticed with the Z when I am on the highway or on the main roads going high speeds when I down shift either from 5th gear to 4th or from 4th to 3rd I cannot put it into gear which leaves me either using the brakes or pumping the klutch to slow down. Once I slow down then I am able to put it into gear but when I am at high speeds its like the klutch doesnt want to work. Any ideas guys on what I am doing wrong? Because this is so frustrating  :banghead:  I feel as though I am damaging my car when doing this
[snapback]137328[/snapback]​

I had a similar problem, Mother Nissan replaced the transmission and oddly enough it solved the problem :). I believe it is fairly common.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That's really odd. Never had the problem. I'll be sure to baby my tranny now...

·
Registered
655 Posts
The only trouble I've had is putting it from 2nd to 1st. I practically have to be stopped to get it into 1st.

If you can't downshift on the highway then something's wrong.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No problems with mine - at least not at highway speeds. Sometimes mine is a little finicky from 2nd to 1st coming to a stop but no big deal. I would have it looked at. Sounds like a transmission problem to me.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Give it a blip of the gas and see if it doesn't slide in there doing that. Sounds like you have a pretty big problem I'd get my dealership to look into it if I were you.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Haven't experienced that at all. I'd say take everyone's advice and have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by maximZ@Jul 26 2005, 10:04 AM
The only trouble I've had is putting it from 2nd to 1st.  I practically have to be stopped to get it into 1st.

If you can't downshift on the highway then something's wrong.
[snapback]137443[/snapback]​

You cannot downshift from 2nd to 1st easily because 1st gear does not have syncros in the tranny. This, of course, is deliberate. 1st is usually intended as a "get up and go" gear only. However, a little blip of the gas will rev match the engine and tranny and then you can slide into 1st. I do it all the time.

As for not being able to downshift in higher gears at higher speeds, that is an issue. It is related to the syncros. Many have experienced this issue and it normally happens to 2003 MT cars in one of two ways. Either you get gear grinding even though you have the clutch floored, or you cannot downshift. Both issues are syncro related.

All dealers should now be aware of this issue. You can also print out reams of information from the various forums. Some people have even had their tranny replaced four and five times.

If you have a very early 2003, chances are you are on a version 1 tranny. If you get the dealer to swap it now, you will likely get a version 6 tranny, eliminating any chance of multiple replacements.

I would talk to the dealer. When you do, take the technician for a drive and show him the issue. Don't leave it with the dealer and assume the tech will be able to repeat the issue. Show them clearly how it happens and they cannot deny the issue's existance.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I consider myself lucky. Mine was manufactured in Nov 2002, and I have had no problems with the tranny. My car seems to run very strong, even when it was stock.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have the same problem. I always have to give it gas to get it to downshift... usually more gas than is needed to rev-match. I would take it to the dealer, but when I did last time they couldn't replicate the problem, and now I'm at 32K... which is just over the warranty I think. **** dealers...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Originally posted by cedusett@Jul 27 2005, 12:16 PM
I have the same problem.  I always have to give it gas to get it to downshift... usually more gas than is needed to rev-match.  I would take it to the dealer, but when I did last time they couldn't replicate the problem, and now I'm at 32K... which is just over the warranty I think.  **** dealers...
[snapback]138051[/snapback]​

Powertrain = 60K miles
The warranty that you are reffering to is for 36K miles, so run back to the dealer a.s.a.p. just in case they try to blame it on the other warranty.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have had this issue on occassion - Nissan has realigned shifter and issue resolved.

I have always driven a MT, and this one beats any that I had in my vintage Hot Rods (Muncie or Saginaw).

let us know how you make out as it would be something to definitely keep an eye on.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by peptidbond@Jul 27 2005, 10:12 AM
I would talk to the dealer. When you do, take the technician for a drive and show him the issue. Don't leave it with the dealer and assume the tech will be able to repeat the issue. Show them clearly how it happens and they cannot deny the issue's existance.

I have this problem Hunter, but it's only at absolute redline (6500rpms) going from 1st to 2nd. If I shift at 6,250 it doesn't do it. Do you think the tech would agree with that if I were the one driving the car? I can't replicate it in any other gear or at any other rpms and I don't want the dealer to beat the **** out of my car and then hand me back the keys saying there is nothing they can do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Buddy,

I am not sure that problem is syncro related. You might have the shifter alignment issue that was posted above. Also, you may have worn out a gear. If I understand correctly, as a gear wears out it gets harder to shift into it, especially at high RPM. Just guessing here though.

As for the dealer, my theory is always to show them the problem. I never leave my car with them and say "get back to me" unless the problem is blatantly obvious (dead alternator, door fell off, etc). So many times they say "cannot replicate" and give the car back to you. I think it is an avoidance strategy. Granted, the dealers don't pay for warranty work, but they get a lower labor rate from Nissan than they normally charge.

A good policy is to always take the time to show them the issue. Short of that, write of a detailed work order the clearly spells out how to replicate the issue or capture it on video and play it for them on the video camera.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Thanks man. Hopefully I can replicate it to them. If they are able to replicate it, then IMO, they are driving my car WAY too hard. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Originally posted by StudyBuddy@Jul 28 2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks man. Hopefully I can replicate it to them. If they are able to replicate it, then IMO, they are driving my car WAY too hard. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help.
[snapback]138627[/snapback]​

StudyBuddy - Whassup with your Avatar??! It makes me nervous :lmfao:

Where's it from?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Originally posted by RUFDRAFT+Aug 29 2005, 10:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-StudyBuddy
@Jul 28 2005, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the help.
[snapback]138627[/snapback]​

StudyBuddy - Whassup with your Avatar??! It makes me nervous :lmfao:

Where's it from?
[snapback]150572[/snapback]​

The movie - Office Space. That is the part were they are beating up the fax machine.

Great movie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts