Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there was any sure fire way to tell if you need to adjust your car's alignment. I have heard that if it "pulls left or right," then it needs adjustment. Is this true? Are there any other signs to look for?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Well that could be a sign if it pulls one way or the other. If it turns when you take your hands off the steering wheel on a straight flat road....you probably need aligning. Another sign, uneven tread wear on your tires. It's a great idea to have the Z aligned at least once a year, if not twice. :)
What she said. :cheers:

Also, if you live in an area that has lots of potholes, cracks, or road hazards, then I would definitely get a yearly alignment. All those things can eventually throw off your alignment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree 100% with the once a year alignment. I picked up an 2003 350Z with 80,000 on it and I put 10,000 on the tires and there was no tire wear issues. This coming spring when I take the winters and put on the summers I will align again and I am sure I will get another 10 - 15k on the tires as long as I do not launch to much.

Take care,

Brian

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pretty sure that most dealerships have an alignment service offered with an oil change (if that is what you are there for). I think that an alignment was part of the 5000 mile check up for the Z, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cars need alignment when they get off the delivery truck. Moog suggests that cars should be aligned every 6 months. But once a year should be good. As cars age they start to sag down tipping the tires causeing uneven tire ware. I do suggest that you find an alignment shop that knows collision alignments. Ive had my Z since May of 04. And every one I have talked to has had tire feather roblems. I havnt because my alignment was done right. You may need to buy some kind of cam kit or some other kind of kit to fix problems. If this is recommended to you Id be sure to buy them and have them installed.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Cars need alignment when they get off the delivery truck. Moog suggests that cars should be aligned every 6 months. But once a year should be good. As cars age they start to sag down tipping the tires causeing uneven tire ware. I do suggest that you find an alignment shop that knows collision alignments. Ive had my Z since May of 04. And every one I have talked to has had tire feather roblems. I havnt because my alignment was done right. You may need to buy some kind of cam kit or some other kind of kit to fix problems. If this is recommended to you Id be sure to buy them and have them installed.
They could need an alignment straight off the truck b/c they tie them down so tightly. A girlfriend of mine has a bent frame b/c of this same thing :OMG: :headshake: Of course Nissan denies it and it is in litigation, tell me sirs, how does a brand new Z w/ NO ZERO miles on it have a bent frame? :dunno:

What or who is "Moog"? Never heard of them/it? Are you saying as a car ages, the camber of the wheels increases? I've never heard that either. :dunno: Not saying it isn't correct, but it's news to me. I've had my Z since May 03 and only had slight uneven tire wear with my stock wheels, after I got the Volks on and a great alignment I have not had any problems. I should get my alignment twice a year as Pittsburgh has some "road" to fill in the places between "potholes" :ahhh: LOL Not everyone w/ an 03 or 04 has had problems with thier alignment/feathering/cupping btw.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well as the car ages the suspension softens and then the car sags. Im dont do alignments. Im just the estimator, so I dont know the whole process. Id have to get my alignment guy to answer everything. But When the car sags the tires tip in at the top. I doubt that anyone is really having this problem yet but lets say 4 or 5 years down the road or a very hard driven car would probably have this problem. 3000lbs and gravity are always pushing things down. Just like when people get older everything tends to sag and they get shorter so they get face lifts and all sorts of other operations. Im not sure how your friends frame got bent. That seems fishy to me. But yes you should get an alignment right away after delivery. YOur car is strapped down and its a bumpy ride on a trailer to the dealer. It doesnt take much to take your car out of alignment. Moog is a manufacture of suspension parts and other car parts. They are very good. And anyone interested in learning alingment should check out there school in St. Louis. I guess its a great course.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree 100% with the once a year alignment. I picked up an 2003 350Z with 80,000 on it and I put 10,000 on the tires and there was no tire wear issues. This coming spring when I take the winters and put on the summers I will align again and I am sure I will get another 10 - 15k on the tires as long as I do not launch to much.

Take care,

Brian
An '03 with 80,000 miles!!! Man, someone did some serious driving in 2-3 years...

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Find a very flat road and let go of the steering wheel. That's the quick and easy method. Some roads can be very deceiving, so do this test on a few different ones. You'll figure it out real quick if you need an alignment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently hit a pothole (at night), resulting in in creasing my front (DS), RH J8. I was able to get the wheel pretty close to straight, took it to an alignment shop to have the under carridge and 4 wheel alignment checked. The rear end was way off, fronts weren't to bad. Asked the tech why the rear was off so much-he stated that the manufacture doesn't do a good job on 4 wheel alignments, and most folks only worry about the front end. If you do any serious road work may want to consider the 4 wheel alignment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts