Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had one of these install. I need one install but when I went to the dealership they said they never heard of it. Which is funny cause they have 06's with it already installed. Dumbasses. Anyways I need to know what part number or something. Cause I need one installed in my z soon!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Has anyone had one of these install. I need one install but when I went to the dealership they said they never heard of it. Which is funny cause they have 06's with it already installed. Dumbasses. Anyways I need to know what part number or something. Cause I need one installed in my z soon!
Is this to just disable the passenger side airbag for a child seat? Or to disable the enitre system?

If for child seat the 06 at least does so automatically based on weight in the seat.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this to just disable the passenger side airbag for a child seat? Or to disable the enitre system?

If for child seat the 06 at least does so automatically based on weight in the seat.
ARE YOU KIDDING!? 06 does that!! how freaking awesome! Well I just got off the phone with a friend I know in the part dept @ another dealership, and he told me it was goign to cost $415 jsut for the switch and $275 for the harness. That doesn't include labor. He totalled it up @ being $2000. I was like holy crap!! I am sure I am capable of installing it myself. But he also said I would have to sign a flyer that is sent to nissan that is sent to dot to let them know my car is certified blah blah blah, Does anyone know a better route than this. And does just removing the fuse disables the air bags. Cause I could give a crap about ether one being in the car.

PS this is to get my 8 month year old in my car with a rear facing seat.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
From the NHTSA website:

"15. How do I get an on-off switch?

If you are interested in having an on-off switch installed in a vehicle you own or lease, you first need to get a copy of NHTSA's information brochure, Air Bags and On-Off Switches: Information for an Informed Decision, and the accompanying form, Request for Air Bag On-Off Switch. The brochure and request form are available at many sources, including NHTSA's web site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov), many new car dealers, state motor vehicle departments, all AAA clubs, and many other organizations. You also can obtain them by calling NHTSA's toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. Read the brochure carefully before filling out the form; you may decide that an on-off switch is not appropriate for you. If you decide to request an on-off switch, you must fill out and submit the request form to NHTSA. The mailing address is provided on the form. You will need to certify on the request form that you have read the brochure and that you (or other occupants of your vehicle) fall into one or more of the risk groups for the air bag(s) for which you request a switch. If the form is properly and completely filled out, NHTSA will then send you an authorization letter that you can take to your dealer or repair shop."

No dealer will install a switch without the NHTSA authorization letter.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the NHTSA website:

"15. How do I get an on-off switch?

If you are interested in having an on-off switch installed in a vehicle you own or lease, you first need to get a copy of NHTSA's information brochure, Air Bags and On-Off Switches: Information for an Informed Decision, and the accompanying form, Request for Air Bag On-Off Switch. The brochure and request form are available at many sources, including NHTSA's web site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov), many new car dealers, state motor vehicle departments, all AAA clubs, and many other organizations. You also can obtain them by calling NHTSA's toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. Read the brochure carefully before filling out the form; you may decide that an on-off switch is not appropriate for you. If you decide to request an on-off switch, you must fill out and submit the request form to NHTSA. The mailing address is provided on the form. You will need to certify on the request form that you have read the brochure and that you (or other occupants of your vehicle) fall into one or more of the risk groups for the air bag(s) for which you request a switch. If the form is properly and completely filled out, NHTSA will then send you an authorization letter that you can take to your dealer or repair shop."

No dealer will install a switch without the NHTSA authorization letter.
Well I understand that. But how are some z included with this option, when the dealership says there are no Z ever included from the factory with one? Whos is right and who is wrong. AND WHY SO MUCH FOR THIS OPTION? I would start hating my car if I can't enjoy having my daugher ride with me! Where is the fun in not being able to enjoy both of my prize poessions?

·
Registered
482 Posts
ARE YOU KIDDING!? 06 does that!! how freaking awesome! Well I just got off the phone with a friend I know in the part dept @ another dealership, and he told me it was goign to cost $415 jsut for the switch and $275 for the harness. That doesn't include labor. He totalled it up @ being $2000. I was like holy crap!! I am sure I am capable of installing it myself. But he also said I would have to sign a flyer that is sent to nissan that is sent to dot to let them know my car is certified blah blah blah, Does anyone know a better route than this. And does just removing the fuse disables the air bags. Cause I could give a crap about ether one being in the car.

PS this is to get my 8 month year old in my car with a rear facing seat.
It is in the owners manual.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well I understand that. But how are some z included with this option, when the dealership says there are no Z ever included from the factory with one? Whos is right and who is wrong. AND WHY SO MUCH FOR THIS OPTION? I would start hating my car if I can't enjoy having my daugher ride with me! Where is the fun in not being able to enjoy both of my prize poessions?
Ok the issue is that it is NOT a user switch, but a sensor in the seat that detects weight and determines if the airbag should be deployed. This I believe has become a safety requirement or is about to (like the TPMS) which is why it is seen in later models and not the 03. It would be difficult to retro fit this in a system not designed for it. Also when screwing with a safety feature in a car the dealer and factory really do not want to mess with it. This is why 5-point harnesses added to a car is NOT street legal because it is not certified and tested.

That said your best option would be to find the fuse to pull. Look for a fuse with a yellow socket, i actually have not looked at my Zs fuse box yet just guessing. The standard color identifier for any airbag wiring is yellow, this is to easily identify the system.

NOTE: Messing with you airbag system can cause it to deploy, be careful and research more. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok the issue is that it is NOT a user switch, but a sensor in the seat that detects weight and determines if the airbag should be deployed. This I believe has become a safety requirement or is about to (like the TPMS) which is why it is seen in later models and not the 03. It would be difficult to retro fit this in a system not designed for it. Also when screwing with a safety feature in a car the dealer and factory really do not want to mess with it. This is why 5-point harnesses added to a car is NOT street legal because it is not certified and tested.

That said your best option would be to find the fuse to pull. Look for a fuse with a yellow socket, i actually have not looked at my Zs fuse box yet just guessing. The standard color identifier for any airbag wiring is yellow, this is to easily identify the system.

NOTE: Messing with you airbag system can cause it to deploy, be careful and research more. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
Hey thanks for all the info. It's very insightful. I just now fax over a copy to get permission for the on-off switch installed. And hope I can do some research and find the switch cheaper some where else other than the dealership. And luckily I am partners with a shop so I can technically install it myself. From what I all read, it doesn't matter really who installs as long it's a mechanic from a shop or dealership. Then they sign off the form and mail it in. In the mean time I want to pull the fuse. Now will the bags deploy is the million dollar question?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe 2004 and newer have the passenger airbag sensor. Only the 2003's didn't have it. My dealer told me they could install one for 1500 if I wish. It's a sports car, and I don't think I would want to be caught in a wreck with my young child in the passenger seat. I have rolled a Nissan, I have been rear-ended in a Nissan, I know how strong they are and how well they hold up to bigger vehicles during impact. But even with that said, I wouldn't really want to be putting my child in this small of a car, especially when you think that most bumpers of SUV's and Trucks are right at window height. Just my opinion and I am a little newer to daddy hood, as my son is only 2 1/2 weeks old.

~DDFZ :cheers:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AWesome link! ON the subject of carrying a child in a z. Well I see where you wouldn't want to. But my wife has a car she goes to work. I need my car to pick up my daughter. I really dont' have a choice until I can afford a beater car. I agree with your views and your concerns. And to be honest I dont' like it too much. But I do honestly want to share my love of my car with my daughter. Whether she will remember it or not. It would be a special think to me, which I can share everything with my child. That's just my two cents. But congrads on being a new farther. It's a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
40 Posts
The authorization takes only a few days to get if you fax it in. With it they'll send you the telephone number of a couple of options, airbag-on-off being one of them. They'll either sell you the switch for $180 with detailed instructions, or send you to a shop that will install it for you. Simple.

But, you don't want put an 8 month old in the front seat. I have a 7 month old, and thankfully I have not needed to put him there yet, as my wife drives a 4runner. If I ever do need to put him there, then it's bye-bye Z. I love my car, but not nearly as much as my son.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WEll I plan to do that cause I have to end up picking up my daughter from my parents after I get off from work which is about 5 miles away, it's not like I am driving hours away. I appreciate your concern. But the whole purpose is to be able to transport my child. PERIOD. And not to sound like and ass, but my car, my child, my life. I respect all the personal feelings toward this. But your not in my situation. And at least give me some credit that I am trying to do this by the book and I do have a proper rear facing carrier and equipment for this. So yeah.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have the complete kit for a 2003 that was never installed, but my car was approved by NHSB to install.

anyone can PM me if they are interested.

New In Box, full instructions, all wires, mounting, switch.....

Here is a LINK that I have posted a few times in some different posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the complete kit for a 2003 that was never installed, but my car was approved by NHSB to install.

anyone can PM me if they are interested.

New In Box, full instructions, all wires, mounting, switch.....

Here is a LINK that I have posted a few times in some different posts
HOLY CRAP! HOw much? Sent you a PM!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have one of the airbag on off switches laying around somewhere but I lost the instructions.
This is the one from www.airbagonoff.com.
I did have extra pass side subharness to use as a patch.
If anyone has the schematic on the switch install, I can use it.

I will leave one Z with the airbag off until I get it installed..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts