Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - Santa installed my Bride Seats on Xmas day :D :D :D. Obviously now the genuine seats have been taken out my ABS light is blinking like a disco.

How do we fix the annoying little buggar so it no blink nomore? Is there some kind of magic plug you can buy that makes it think everything is fine, or do you disable the light somehow?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whoops blonde! Sorry i meant Airbag light.

Terry it helps if you put out some milk and cookies for Santa. I will take some and send them to you. or you'll jsut see them the next cruise .... that way i see your kit, you see my seats and we're even ;)

·
Registered
772 Posts
hahaha and i thought i was the one having the blonde moment there.

I do remember seeing something about a loom (whether it be plug in or make your own, I can't remember) that turns off the light after installing A/M seats somewhere, I just cant remember where. I'll see if I can find it, and will let you know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
OK. Just found a thread that tells you how to make your own. Although I just gotta say, as you probably already know... Insurance companies may frown upon removing the seats as they do contain the airbags. IE a 'major' safety feature.... Now that my little bit of safety crap is out of the way... (and YES i do plan on getting rid of the 3 tonne stock seats myself)

instructions.. since i've been getting so many PMs about this lately...

You'll need either a 2.2ohm or 2.0 ohm total resistance to trick the airbag system in thinking the seat airbag is still there.

quite simple to make, and that nismo airbag resistor that sells for like $54 is a joke.

Radio Shack sells a 5 pack of 10ohm resistors. Either in a 1/4 Watt or 1/2 Watt packaging.
1/4 Watt SKU# 271-1301
1/2 Watt SKU# 271-1101

I used the 1/4 Watt, but if they're out of stock, the 1/2W will work fine.

Next up, you'll need some 18 or 22 AWG wire. I like to keep things simple so one roll of red, one roll of black.

I wanted to keep things tight and water proof (in case of spilled beverages) so pick up some Heat-Shrink Tubing. Radio Shack SKU#278-1627B. Its a multi-pack and you can cut it down to fit around the resistors. Or use a cut Ziplock freezer bag and tape it all up after you're done.

Then pick up a box of BUCHANAN Tap-Splices. They're the RED color, for #22 - #18 AWG wires.. and what they commonly are used for is to splice things onto pre-existing wires. in our case, the yellow airbag connectors.

If you dont already have a soldering iron or solder, i suggest you pick up some while you're there. get solder with the resin pre-mixed in it, that way it will adhere easier.

basically. we need all five 10ohm resistors in Parallel circuit, that will equal a final resistance of 2.0ohms

so, grab all five resistors, twist the ends together on each side and solder one side with the red wire, the other side with the black wire. heat shrink wrap over the resistor cluster when you're done and then bend the wires to make a U shape. Once you have that completed. you can use the wire splice to attach to each side of the yellow airbag harness. it doesnt matter what color red or black goes to each wire, as long as there is good connection you'll be ok. i'd tape up the splices with electrical tape just to make sure it doesnt move. Repeat if you have a passenger side airbag you want to disable.

For the Airbag Reseting procedure…You must first change the SRS system to self-diagnosis mode, and then back to user mode to clear the airbag fault you might be getting after unplugging the side-impact seat airbag and driving with the car..

How to Change to Self-Diagnosis Mode:
1. Turn Ignition switch from OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after air bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn OFF ignition switch
3. After ignition switch is turned off, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (turn to Diagnosis Mode.)
Turn to USER mode
1. Turn Ignition switch to OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after airbag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn off the ignition switch.
3. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (Turn to User Mode)

Your Airbag light should no longer flash while driving…

done! smile.gif

--
Cheston

Ill keep hunting too see if i can find an actual part you can buy...

Shane.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Shane!! A part would be good as my hubbys soldering skills are really really bad LOL!

Yeah thanks regarding the insurance etc ..... i work in the car industry so i know all the mods can void warranty, if the airbag doesn't deploy then you can't hold them liable etc etc etc. Might let insurance know about the seats though and get them covered - its Just Car so they are pretty liberal with what you do to your car.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just found another DIY.. cant seem to find the part number anywhere... seen it mentioned a heap of times but any links just lead to general pages... This one however seems very easy and may be the way i go when i get around to it eventually. And hey if all else fails I'll give it ago for ya. (no responsibilty taken for Z shaped mushroom clouds... he he he)

Shane.

Those who want to add racing seats with no airbag light read below. Also, with this mod, all the other airbags will be active.

i bought a $0.95 2.2 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. (the resistor tricks the system into thinking an airbag unit is there.) I then stuck the resistor in the plug, wrapped it tightly with electrical tape and did the reset procedure below.

Nismo sells the same thing for 50 dollars. Get it at radio shack for .95 cents.

from my350z.com
For the Airbag Reseting procedure…You must first change the SRS system to self-diagnosis mode, and then back to user mode to clear the airbag fault you might be getting after unplugging the side-impact seat airbag and driving with the car..
How to Change to Self-Diagnosis Mode:
1. Turn Ignition switch from OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after air bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn OFF ignition switch
3. After ignition switch is turned off, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (turn to Diagnosis Mode.)
Turn to USER mode
1. Turn Ignition switch to OFF to ON.
2. Within 1 second after airbag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, turn off the ignition switch.
3. After ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 twice (perform 3 times in total)
5. Turn ignition switch ON again (Turn to User Mode)

no more flash
As for part #'s.... well apparently its a nismo item.. i cant seem to find one though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL @ Zed Shaped Mushroom Clouds ...... oh well might get pretty fireworks out of it haha. Thanks for your help Shane. I hate warning lights blinking on my dash even if they don't mean anything!

Hopefully will see you at the next No Limits night on Jan 22nd ..... if we haven't figured it out by then you can give my hubby a walk through - he's the one that has the race kitted gunmetal grey R33 there with West Coast Wheel stickers all over it. Don't know if we've met yet .... i've only ever seen one other Zed down there when im there and it's black like mine.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
NOW YOU HAVE DEPRESSED ME.... *note extreme EMONESS*

I fly back to work on the 13th... have been hanging for another track night for ages. was it the MWS 390ish rwhp Z you saw there??? if so I have seen him there on my (so far) one and only trip[ up there... as for the r33, not sure if I know it or not. May have seen it but memory not serving me well.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i tried that method using the correct amount of resistance and i still cant get rid of it.

what i did was stick some tape over the light. But then again i only have my seat in the car when im on the track.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL @ Cain's 'stick some tape over the light' ahhhh is there anything electrical tape can't fix?? Why only use seat at track ...... going to spend that much money on seats i want to sit it in as often as it takes to get the ass mould!!

Mr Rizk - yeah i need to take some photos. Actually the underground carpark i park in for work was basically deserted today and my car was sitting in really flattering light and it just looked hot so i might giver her a polish on sunday and take her down there for some photos and post them up :)

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Some people don't like riding in racing seats for everyday driving. I've never driven in a racing seat, but I've been a passenger in some, and while they do the job of sticking you to the seat, they aren't the most comfortable things to me lol.... I guess Cain has the time/patience to swap seats out before track day...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jinnxy - i do know what you mean my hubby has Brides in his too and they are full on bucket. Uncomfortable - like being in a dentist chair. Guess i forgot about those types. Depends on the 'bucket'. These ones are fairly generous and i guess more soft than some of the others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, the resistance of the side air bag in the seat (05 350z roadster non leather) is 2.3 - 2.4 Ohms. I could not find this info anywhere. As long as you have a resistor that measures 2.3 - 2.4 ohms you can remove the airbag and replace with resistor, the airbag light should remain off with non airbag equipped seats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts