Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post some of my findings in regards to obtaining an airbag cutoff switch. I'm in the process of selling my Z because of the birth of my daughter but I did research finding/installing one of these switches.

There is a Nissan TSB regarding the installation of a cutoff switch for the passenger side airbag. I researched this and the existence of this option was a determining factor in the purchase of my Z (I knew it was a possibility that I would need to have my child in the car). I owned the car for 2 1/2 years before trying to go down this road. Shortly before my daughter was born I tried to get my hands on one of these switches.

While at my Nissan dealer, I discussed getting one of these installed. The service manager told me that I'd need to contact their parts department to get it ordered but was pretty sure they wouldn't order one for me. I referenced the TSB but she said Nissan wouldn't let them order them or something. I contacted the parts department and they gave me a runaround and eventually sent me back to the service manager. I once again expressed my frustration in this matter and she told me that Nissan had a different part number for every vehicle they make (for the switch) and that they did this so no dealer would want to stock it. She also said that when they've tried to order them before they were unable to get their hands on one. Then she said that even if I could get the part ordered and delivered, that they (the dealer) would not install it because of the legality issues.

Extremely pissed off I did alot of research into the regulations regarding this. The gov has processes in place for authorizing the installation of these devices. They have a form (forgot its name) that has to be filled out and approved before you can have a dealer install the device. Apparently everyone gets approval that asks. Common uses: child seats, small stature drivers, special medical reasons, etc. I did find that the government does not require that the manufacturer make available this type of device.

My next move was to contact NissanUSA. I discussed the problem with the service rep on the phone and he gave me nothing but a runaround. He kept saying that I should go aftermarket that their device would be too expensive. I told him that I didn't care about the price, that I wanted a Nissan part. He dodged this discussion and kept taking me in circles. I mentioned the TSB and he dodged that as well. I started to threaten based on false representation in regards to the existence of the TSB before I bought the car and now they wouldn't honor it. He told me he'd pass my issue on to the next level of service and that'd I'd receive a call within 48 hours.

Over 2 weeks later I finally recieved this call. I had actually given up on them so I was suprsied to receive this call. This service rep was much more helpful. He told me he had just been given the case and that he needed to research it more but that he wanted to call me to let me know he was looking in to it. Apparently he was a new rep and hadn't seen this issue before. I received another call about 3-4 days later from this rep. He had researched the problem and spoken with the service manager at my local Nissan dealer. He said that I would be contacted by them and that I would be able to get the needed part from them.

I did recieve the call from the service manager from the dealer. She said that I needed to contact their parts department and get the form from them that needed to be filled out and approved to order the part. I asked her if they were willing to install it after she had previously made it clear that she would not install it even if I could get my hands on one. She acted like she had never had that discussion with me and got off the phone quickly. I already had downloaded the form from the net but had not filled it out yet.

During this process I did research the aftermarket approach and found a few companies that sell these devices and can even install them if you desire. I found a company called Sensible Solutions owned by Bob Brown. I researched their website and spoke with Bob on the phone. Bob was UNBELIEVABLY helpful and put nearly all my concerns to rest. They sell a cutoff switch for $160 + $8 for shipping. The kit is designed for home installation by owners who have a good knowledge of installing ICE type equipment. Sensible also contracts with installers nationwide and can have someone come to your home and install the switch if you don't fell comfortable doing it yourself. I believe the price went up to about $380-400 for the switch + install. You can find Sensible Solutions at http://www.airbagonoff.com/ or call them at 877-773-7908.

I ended up not buying a switch as I decided the Z (even with the switch) just isn't a practical (and safe) solution for taking my daughter somewhere. I have purchased an M3 and am in the process of selling my Z. I wanted to post my research findings in hopes that it might help someone else in the future.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I thought I had posted this but did it on Zcar.com many moons ago before I found tech.

it really is simple and not hard at all.

There are 2 types of Airbags in the Z, pre 04 has ver 1, post 04 have version 2. Basically version 2 has a limiter switch in the seat that senses 100lbs or less and will illuminate the Pass. Airbag off idiot light. Pre 04, did not do this and required the kit.

Anyway, you must apply for airbag cutoff switch from the NHTSA. You can fax the form in and typically if you meet the criteria on the form you will get it back within about 5 working days! here is a link - http://www.safercar.gov/airbags/images/ON-...h%20Request.pdf

Once you have this approved form you are able to go back to the dealer and order the form - Dealers must have proof of authorization prior to ordering the kit and components. Typically, dealers are not authorized to install as this is a conflict of interest.

On the NHTSA site is a list of authorized installers that are trained installing airbags - they too will need the form as when the install is complete they must sign and return to NHTSA for the cycle to be completed.

Here are the part numbers you will need:

24170-CD025 - Qty 1 - Airbag Harness Assy. - ~$215
B5580-77J02 - Qty 1 - Airbag Switch Assy - ~$230
Install is estimated at $350-400

Detailed Instructions are included with the components, if you want to DIY, but .... It does require quite a bit of moulding and finisher parts to be removed to install the wiring, however, all wiring has connectors that go directly into a connector in the car so no splicing required.

Hope this helps and I never installed (my son grew faster than I could get the car sked) so if anyone wants it, still in the wrapping for the pricing above :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
There is a national company called "Air Bag Service" -- they have a toll-free number you can get from (800) information. They come to your house and install a generic air-bag cut-off switch. 2 years ago I paid $400, including parts, labor, sales tax and the service call. Way better deal than the Nissan parts and the hassle Nissan puts you through.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My 05 Enthusiast has no Pass Airbag Off light, nor is one discussed in the Owner's Manual. Additionally, the 05 Service Manual shows no wiring for any kind of passenger seat sensor. Are you sure you're talking about the Z and not another Nissan vehicle?

karlh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts