Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been tons of talk on tire feathering. I've read alot about it but not every single thread. My question is...Is their a tire feathering problem with aftermarket tires too :locked: and if so...what brands? Or...does it make any difference at all because its a suspension problem. THANKS

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I've heard that changing the suspension fixes it. So, I changed it...I'll letcha know.

Also, some different tires do help out more on the feathering, but the problem is still existing, just not as bad.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
i dunno , i have put almost 10K on my Kumho MX's and not a sign of feathering at all (i am at 16k). BTW i have a 2004 Enthusiast with the 18" LMGT-4

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm betting the design of the tires seem to have some part in it. It's a suspension issue. I'm having some feathering and after the serice department telling me they couldn't do anything the manager told me that it hasn't been fixed and it's a toe-out issue. I'm guessing that Nissan is overlooking a bump steer issue that is the problem. Like when the suspension compresses the toe angle is changing too much.

the service guy also said that because our tires cannot be rotated that it is more of an issue.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My tires began feathering at 3000 miles...I drove like that until I hit 14000 and then got a set of JIC Coilovers w/their adjustable camber and traction rods. I am happy to say that at 35000 and w/a new set of tires, I have not had any feathering issues since changing the suspension. I recommend doing so but also get the adjustable links for the suspension as well. There are a few companies out there supplying these (JIC, Kinetix are the ones that come to mind).

·
Registered
254 Posts
So yours is set to 2 mm exactly? Is that correct? I have a buddy that is pretty good at alignment so I think I'm going to have him look over it again. I had the dealership give me the paper work of my recent alignment and my toe in is set at 1.2 mm NOT the preferred setting!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I took Bessy to the dealership today for the 22k check up. I have some feathering issues.. well the dealership guys said that they will not cover it being that the rims and tired are not stock. They are however same size in all aspects. just look different thats all. What I am asking is am I screwed for putting aftermarket rims and better tires on my 03 Z? If so I can just add some Eibach Springs and it could/will fix the problem?

thanks for the help,

-Paullus

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/quote]

Im in the same boat. Nitto tires and Nismo wheels and an alignment. No feathering after 11,000 miles. :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
:\ the two front stock rims are a lil bent. So no go there. I think I will do what Toykilla did and get the springs since I cannot get the TSB. Is there anything I need to know about springs? I will buy some Eibach Springs but is there a model that is better than others with the same brand? Sorry completely new to modding... having fun though ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of the actual TSB that can be posted? I have read plenty about it on the net but never seen it myself, nor have I done anything about my car ('04 base) mainly because I have had very little feathering, no more than normal IMHO for a car whose tires cannot be rotated.

However, now I have new Nismo rims/KDW tires and I want them set up correctly so I need to know what the correct specs are (toe-in) so that the service folks can't pull the wool over my eyes. Is it as simple as 2mm toe-in? I have also heard zero toe-in or close to it is preferred. Is that correct?

And will Eibock (sp?) pro kit springs mess the settings up entirely? Do I have to re-align the wheels after the spring kit is installed? I would assume I would.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts