Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am posting this to tell you that as of last night I put an ATS Carbon LSD into a rear differential from an automatic 350z. It was posted over on "the other site" that it could not be done, but I figured that I would give it a try, I am not one to take no for an answer. At first when I was taking the automatic differential apart, I was trying to see where the problem is and why it is not compatible.

I checked the Nissan website and all automatic models have an LSD. I am not sure where the problem is with the conflict between the two rear ends(the auto and manual). If you are wondering why I am doing this it is because I want a lower gear ratio, for reference the auto diff has a 3.357 ratio. For reference, a manual transmission rear differential has 3.5 gears.

So everyone knows, the reason I am doing this to my car is because when you are accelerating like crazy when running high boost, you don't want to have to keep on shifting fast. With a lower gear ratio, you get more speed out of each gear and will have better cruzing speeds with a 200 mph potential.

I want to be the first twin turbo 350z with an ATS Carbon LSD in an automatic rear differential running 3.35 gears.

I will try to post pictures soon. I didn't bring my camera last night, but believe me, it is very possible.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Good job Ray! :thumbsup:

And yes, all automatic 350Zs come with LSDs from the factory. This has been the case since the first 5AT rolled off the assembly line

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MD,
Well considering that the automatic diff was already out of a car and I already had the ATS Carbon LSD, everything was sitting infront of me on a bench. It was pretty easy. I used an impact gun to remove the bolts on the cover and then I used to pry bars together to pop out the shafts with splines on each side of the LSD(these stick through the pumpkin housing). Then removed the 4 bolts holding the tapered roller bearings and the old LSD and Ring gear came out. Then we had to press off each bearing and then unbolt the ring gear. Then everything is going back in in reverse order along with my new finned differential cover. All in all it took about two hours because we were having trouble pressing off the bearings but everything worked out fine. I am sure that you will have to add a few hours if you are doing this with it starting off and finally installed in the car.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by Gsedan35@Sep 1 2005, 12:37 AM
They said you could not swap in a LSD just because you have a auto?  Swap out the A/T ring and pinion gear set from a MT set and you can, but you already know that :wavey:

No, he has a manual but he's running with the rear diff from an auto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts