Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I installed the stage 2 Stop-Tech kit, and so far so good. But I was curious where the pedal should engage the brakes. The car stops well, but the first time and every time I press the pedal, it goes say half way down and engages. Then if I let up and press again, the pedal will engage almost as soon as I press it. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Sounds like you still might have an air bubble in it. Otherwise, maybe it just needs to build pressure over the next couple of days (just guessing here). I noticed on my brake upgrade that it engages very well after about an inch or 2 after pressing. After that, I need steroids for the leg to push harder. :wink:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Mine feels the same way right now. I think I may still have air in my lines from doing the Stage 1 upgrade. If I double-pump my pedal, it's hard as a rock, but the first time it engages a little late and feels squishy. I haven't bled again yet, but I plan on doing it soon. I don't think I have enough in there to worry too much about.

Good luck with it and let us know if you run into any more problems. SmoothZ and I both went through quite a few problems about a week ago with the same upgrades.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
It might be air in the lines and it is worth doing another bleeding. However, it could just be the side effects of the stock brake booster. This is one of my main complaints about the Z's brakes, brembo or otherwise. The petal is just too soft and I believe this is caused by the brake booster. When I installed my Hawk HPS pads, it helped some and I certainly appreciate the linear character of the pads compared to the progressive nature of the stock pads.

If you cannot get it fixed and you insist on immediate brake for after only 1/2 inch of pedal travel, the brake pedal is adjustable. I have not adjusted mine, but I do know there is an adjuster on the pedal shaft.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hmm...I don't know about the booster. I know Bill/Buff and I both have about the same 'travel' in the pedal, which is very minimal. I think the brake pedal travel is now greatly improved over stock. However, I believe it's because of the braided lines and not just the pads.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I sort of agree. Your improved pedal travel is likely caused by two things: the thicker Hawk pads you installed and the linear nature of those pads (full brake torque upfront instead of fade in with pressure). I also agree that this guy's issue could easily be air in the lines. Bleeding is tricky and only works well when done right. However, I still feel that with these improvements, the brake pedal travels too far and it is a result of the vacuum loaded brake booster.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's strange, I have bled the brakes twice per the factory manual and the brakes still do not engage right away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts