Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been reading some of the tech articles in different sport compact magazines, and it seems that adj. cam gears on stock cams are allowing some owners to pick up horsepower and torque throughout the rpm range by adj. cam timing and ignition timing. I was wondering if the Z would benefit from cam gears and tuning them correctly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah they dont make anything like that for our Z's. The only thing i have seen is a whole new cam gear from Nismo that has a preset adjustment already made to it and i think they have to be used with the nismo cams, not sure.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Yeah they dont make anything like that for our Z's. The only thing i have seen is a whole new cam gear from Nismo that has a preset adjustment already made to it and i think they have to be used with the nismo cams, not sure.

? that would be an adj. cam gear. How do you mean 'preset'?

I don't know of any adj cam gears. I don't see the Nismo in the catalog.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ive seen them on other chain drive cars

its an adjustable chain gear. dont know if it is out for the z yet.

had them on my civic and yes there is a power gain, i'm not sure how much over stock because i had the head milled like 50 thousanths and timing was way off on my zc engine.

i have read that the nismo cams dont need cam gears to tune, but then again you never know

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
ive seen them on other chain drive cars

its an adjustable chain gear. dont know if it is out for the z yet.

had them on my civic and yes there is a power gain, i'm not sure how much over stock because i had the head milled like 50 thousanths and timing was way off on my zc engine.

i have read that the nismo cams dont need cam gears to tune, but then again you never know

You are going to see at best 5whp on a turbocharged engine.. I'm thinking a few whp n/a.

The Z has variable intake timing (and on the 300hp motors exhaust cam variation).

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Here you go, a quote from a member here: (350zLover)

"Yes... I am talking about the VTC pulley that nismo sells... if you want to fully utilise the cams and to minimise the loss of torque at lower RPM, it is recommended by Nismo to have a new set of high angled VTC pulleys installed and tuned with those wild profile cams."

&

"VTCs are recommended to be used with wild cams..."

Those wild profile cams referring to the Nismo S2 cams.

AND POSSIBLY the most conclusive info, source 350zlover:

"So that means with or without the VTC pulleys, the car will still operate nicely since the stock VTC angle goes up to 40 degrees... there isn't much to go for above 40 degrees anyway..."

~~~~~~~

More info about the VTC Nismo set: (from a different source)

"The description states the pulley is only to be used with the Nismo race heads. Is this true? Can they be used of the OEM head? I wouldn't see why not."

~~~~~~~

Even more info ... the description on JapanParts.com:

"For Race use. For High revolution applications, alters the VTC angle which helps prevent valve bounce and damaged pistons. Only for NISMO CYLINDER HEAD SPEC-1 and SPEC-2. For a High revving NA engine, it's essential to have a lightweight valve/spring assembly to ensure reliable horsepower increase and acceleration. The answer; Titanium valve springs and valves VK45 Weight comparison: INT (Stock 51.4g ->NISMO 31.0g) and EXH (Stock 46.8 g ->NISMO 28.7g). The price is for a set of 2."

So it seems you would need some wild cams to even take advantage of anything more than the 40* of advance the stock VTC pulley set offers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know this is old, but I'm just doing a lot of perusing on this site to try and learn as much as I can.

From this thread, I think this is what I've learned, but please correct me if I'm wrong:

Since I have an '05 Track, I have the VTC pullies on both the intake and exhaust camshafts. What this means is timing for both of these camshafts is not static, but a dynamic variable that depends on different parameters determined by the ECU? The ECU itself can advance/retard timing as it sees fit, correct? And for our motors, cams are basically plug and play, where we can drop in a new set and now have to worry about tuning the cams, right?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
You can't statically advance cam timing. The sprocket works by oil pressure. The VTC pullies just help with the larger duration intake cams. Helps with idle and lower revs. Making a car with high duration cams more driveable.

Think wild camshaft. 268+

~~~
NISMO VTC Pulley

This new pulley from NISMO's VTC system on the VQ35DE is designed to increase overall cam advance to 55 degrees (15 degrees longer than stock) for increased engine response anda much faster rise in torque at lower rpm's. Designed for use with high duration cams such as Tomei 264/268 and NISMO S1 and S1 cams. Requires professional installation and tuning.

These parts are on a build to order basis from NISMO Japan, please allow up to 90 days for delivery.

Item: NISMO VTC gears VQ35DE

Price: $369.00

Shipping Cost: $12.00

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=3...gine&prodid=922

1 - 14 of 14 Posts