Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 Z with the 6cd changer Bose head unit. i was a little disappointed there was no AUX input on it from the factory but, i have managed so far. But i recently bought myself a switching AUX input, and some ribbon cable for a little bit over $3.00, planning on severing some wires that from the radio signal, putting this in parallel with them, and in THEORY it should override the radio signal when you plug in the AUX cable while the radio is on. If any one has done this and has any pointers let me know, if not i'll let you guys know how i did it. thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Dude - stop…just get a cassette adapter…it works just as well and is $6 at walmart…not to mention you're not tearing apart your radio/dash. My method is to put the radio volume up to 90% (on my deck that is 30 of 32) and control the volume through your ipod...

anytime someone tells me that "it works, ________" (insert in theory, on paper, so-and-so did it, etc) it makes me think it wont.

I've never heard of anyone "over-riding" a radio signal...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my head unit doesn't have a cassette player :/
the thing is i did it for my friends RSX, on his radio and it is working pretty flawlessly. just turn on the radio, plug in the aux input and your ipod/mp3 player music comes up, but his radio schematic is way simpler than this one.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Are you sure it was a radio circuit in the RSX and not a CD changer circuit or something similar? Radio signals should look significantly different than an auxiliary signal. I'd think the lack of a carrier wave would trip up the system. I guess it's possible that some cars decode at the end of the antenna and pass a signal on to the radio in a less noise prone format, although I've never seen this done.

Is there any chance you could post the schematics for one/both, and maybe the how to (if there is one) for the RSX, it'd be a little more help.

~Pat

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yaa on the rsx it was radio signal, from the input radio L and right, placed after some diodes before what i think i remember seeing the power IC. ill look for the schematics. i think i have them saved on a usb somewhere. but, ima rip it apart this saturday, ill let you guys know what i see in there.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
if you're gonna piggy back off the FM signal just buy a FM Transmitter?

I say this, but they suck if you live in a medium to large sized city…I used one before I went with a cassette adapter...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its not like a fm transmitter because that switching aux input works like this when nothings plugged in the wires coming from the radio signal pass through normally. and when you plug an aux cable into it, it breaks those contacts (with some smalls springs inside) and sends the aux feed in, as if it was the radio signal coming in. and i found a guy who does it online for 60 bucks, so i know its possible now! just gotta find the lines to sever! :)

Search Results : Factory Radio Service, Car Factory Radio Services

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here some pictures of what it came out like. my cousin took pictures of when we were doing it. i asked him for them. ill put the wires i severed. cut a pair of lines between am/fm tuner and the ic. im goign to try to convert the video to an acceptable format.

Attachments

·
Registered
652 Posts
Jesse,

In an earlier post you stated you had the service manual for your radio. Where did you get it? I have the non-Bose single CD radio in my car and would like to try a similar mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did someone ever figure this out?! i looked at OP posts and never posted a how to,
i have an 07 non bose radio. anyone know how to hook up an aux cord to it, or where i can find a wiring diagram for my radio?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts