Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about adding a couple of gauges to the BY. Most likely candidates are A/F and Boost and I'm leaning toward the Defi D-series.

Anyone had experience with these gauges?
How much do they run?
How hard are they to install?
Any options for mounting other than an A-pillar mount?
Any other affordable brands I should be looking at?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
The Defi D-series matches our interior...but my shop did not want to use them, and I can't remember why.

Questions #2 & #3... :dunno:

See pic.

I am using an Autometer boost gauge and the AEM wideband A/F. These have trim pieces that match our interior. The AEM is pricey.

Mine are mounted in a custom A-pillar just like the one in the pic...except different color paint. Notice the two gauges mounted by the shift boot. The only other place I can think of is in the NAV cubby....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kenny.

Pillar - trying to avoid that since IMO it looks ricey
AC outlet - seen this, but only good for one gauge
NAV cubby - not an option. I have factory NAV
Near shift boot - not easily seen
Replace stock gauges - would have to give up info center gauge (which I like) and find a 3rd gauge to plug in.

two alternate thoughts I had...

two small gauges somehow mounted where the sunglass holder/overhead lamp assembly is.
three gauges where the environmental controls are now. Move environmental controls into console storage area.

Plenty of time for me to think about it. anyone else have thoughts?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Originally posted by mcduck@Sep 14 2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks, Kenny. 

Pillar - trying to avoid that since IMO it looks ricey
AC outlet - seen this, but only good for one gauge
NAV cubby - not an option.  I have factory NAV
Near shift boot - not easily seen
Replace stock gauges - would have to give up info center gauge (which I like) and find a 3rd gauge to plug in.

two alternate thoughts I had...

two small gauges somehow mounted where the sunglass holder/overhead lamp assembly is. 
three gauges where the environmental controls are now.  Move environmental controls into console storage area.

Plenty of time for me to think about it.  anyone else have thoughts?
[snapback]154944[/snapback]​

I think your best bet is the A-pillar. If done right, with gauges that match, it can look stock. If you put them in 'odd' places like where the sunglass holder is, then I think it has the potential to look worse.

Defi's are a lot of $. My SW-performance gauges are a mere fraction of the price and match better (from the pics I can see) than the expensive defi. This is not to say that the defi aren't awesome gauges because they are, I just didn't want to spend $700+ on a gauge setup and not even get a wideband.

I would recommend the innovate standalone wideband.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I thought about the sunglass holder...possible but you will need a custom mount that is angled toward the drivers seat.

In order for the driver to view the gauges when he needs to collect info...eye level is best...and that's the a-pillar. Didn't want to put mine there either...only other viable option was replacing the set on the dash and, like you, I wanted to keep the multi-data display.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I am thinking about making a custom pod to replace the sunglass holder.. similar to the emanage holder i did for kenny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts